Is polygamy a thing?

Started by Kadian, September 17, 2016, 10:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadian

So, I played around in the 'Prepare carefully' Mod and was able to give one person several lovers. In fact, there doesn't seem to be a limit at all for the Lover Relationship, and I could also add 1 Wife/husband and 1 Fiancee to the same person.
I am aware that the marriage/betrothal thing is monogamous, but this possibility peaked my interest, so to speak. Is it possible for colonists to have several lovers at the same time? And if so, what will this do ingame, does anyone know?
Could you even make a somewhat stable group of lovers when everyone is in love with each other? Or will they get negative feelings because their lover(s) are flirting with their other lover(s)?
Could a lover-group also accept using the same room? They can't, for obvious reasons, use the same bed though (we need beds for 3 people!)

Jinxi

I have had a female colonist, maried to another colonist. And from time to time, she prefered to has a lover. For this periode she left the bed of her husband. Of course her husband wasnt lucky about it. After some days she comes back to him and her lover wasnt lucky about it. But she was all the time lucky.
After a raid her husband died. For a while she was sad about to lose her husband. But....yes you guess right, after a while she and her old love affaire get lovers and married.

And after some time she had actually again a new lover and again she jumps back from bed to bed .
She is a real bitch.  ;D

I tried to make 1 big bedroom for all 3. They didnt like it.

Kadian

Well, I was thinking about the following:
There are 3 different colonists named A, B and C.

A is in love with B and C
B is in love with A and C
and C is, for obvious reasons, in love with A and B.

It is possible with the Prepare Carefully mod. And from what you told me, I guess 1 room with 2 double beds would work just fine, those 3 would regularly jump beds then I guess, in order to have sex with someone else. I'm just wondering if A would be annoyed if B and C are with each other, even though they are in a polygamous relationship, and would the benefit of all 3 being with each other outweigh the problems/Envy?

ShadowTani

I don't think polygami is in the game technically, just adultery. But I suppose one could pretend it's a polygamous relationship in a scenario that Kadian describes, but the negatives of one of them walking in on the other two would probably still trigger.

DariusWolfe

I'm pretty sure you'd get the "shared bedroom" debuff and the "want to sleep with x" debuff for whichever partner is sleeping alone.

Kadian

Quote from: DariusWolfe on September 17, 2016, 12:55:28 PM
I'm pretty sure you'd get the "shared bedroom" debuff and the "want to sleep with x" debuff for whichever partner is sleeping alone.

You don't get the "shared bedroom" debuff when you have 2 lovers with single beds in the same room, if I'm right. So that shouldn't trigger either way.
I'm tempted to start a small test colony with 3 lovers, just to test it out - the worst case scenario is that all 3 will always have a debuff because they can't sleep with all their lovers and/or they will be envious of the others...i wonder if that could stack to hilarious amounts...

DariusWolfe

I think you'll get the shared bedroom because there's someone else in a different bed in the room. I don't think lover status matters for that; just the shared bed debuff. As a test, you could try putting lovers in single beds in the same room.

KnockTwice

Sounds like there is a need for a triple bed.

skinicism

I wouldn't necessarily assume that player characters would have trouble with romance based on not being pretty or beautiful. Plenty of people these days have no problem with romance while being ugly. The issue for me is whether it would be treated like having a love counselor. 

OFWG

Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

RandomGirl

A triple bed would be cute. :)

I've been watching the drama unfold in my current colony. I used the "prepare carefully" mod to make a large starting colony full of people who WANTED to go set up shop on an alien world. It was a group of 9 people, 2 couples and 5 single folks. Thus far:

The 35 year old doctor and 34 year old researcher were married. Doctor dumped her to go shack up with the 18 year old artist. He had no mood impact, his wife did.
The 30 year old miner and the 32 year old sociologist were married. He dumped her to hook up with the 26 year old botanist.
Doctor and artist got engaged.
Researcher hooked up with a 49 year old new guy that joined the colony.
Doctor devastated, even though he dumped her.
Artist made a masterwork statue that showed the researcher shrugging off a hug the doctor tried to give her. Awkward.
31 year old chef hooked up with an 18 year old former-bandit we captured and converted.
Animal husbandry expert has been making flirty comments to the artist, who has thus far rebuffed him.
Meanwhile the cybernetic jill-of-all-trades has been working overtime to get stuff done since they're all busy screwing around.

*munches popcorn*

Kadian

Quote from: RandomGirl on September 19, 2016, 05:15:13 PM
[...]
Meanwhile the cybernetic jill-of-all-trades has been working overtime to get stuff done since they're all busy screwing around.
[...]

Mr. Cyborg might want to look into the Misc. Robot/MAI mod! Basically, let him build a robot army, because nobody helps him doing stuff xD