Defense tactics

Started by noel1, June 27, 2016, 04:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noel1

What defense tactics and such work well in Alpha 13?

mew_the_pinkmin

edit the guns xml to make pistols fire super fast and have very long range. equip all colonists in pistols and play on flat map.
NoBadOrganThoughts        BigBatteries        PlantSaver

Shurp

On a more serious note, scattering a few turrets around the perimeter of your base to attract enemy fire works for me.  Have your colonists stand a little behind them (behind sandbags if you're feeling especially generous) and plink the enemies back.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Kryc8

Here is my defense tactics that is extremely effective. (just put more sandbags/chunks on the way)

Thane

Door cheese with guns or melee for standard raids.

Artillery shells and traps for ships.

Kite and duck with mechanoids.

Artillery barrage for any raid that thinks it's good to hang out in a static position (lol).

In short Cover is King! Deny it to the enemy and give yourself the best possible.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Listy

A thought just occurred to me today.

Trigger happy colonists with a T-9 (That's the "Incendiary launcher" to the newbies)...

Doesn't matter if you can't hit the target, and more flame rounds going down range is better. I had good results with Grenade throwing trigger happy colonists, back when the weapon rack was a great barricade.

Listen1

If you build a 3x3 house with chunks/sandbags on it, and put 7 pawns throwing grenades non stop (aim at the floor so that they can keep throwing) is amazing.

Mutineer

I have a good result with bite/ switch, melee attack dangerous range tactics. Work good early on for reasonably long time with no or all most no defence used.

Bite - long range colonist with cover of sandbag/wall not far from door. He is the only visible to upcoming enemies and they run to attack him. If some one stop to shot at him he used wall cover if they come to near he duck behind door.

The rest stand behind corner and shot at them as they come in view. Idea is to have them all have near optimum range for shorter range attacks as opposition come into view, optimizing there firepower. When especially dangerous attacker notice you, like frag grenade owner, et... you send your melee against them. Dagger melee attack interrupt so often they will never be able to use there frag grenades. If some melee running to your range firepower, again send your melee to slow him down, but try to attack from side, to reduce chance of friendly fire.

This method earn me a lot of prisoners early on why i do not have any casualties, unless i screw up.

And before you say, i play on higher difficulty with no reloads. Eventually this stop working against to big too well equipped raids and at that time you need your classical turret kill box. But basic tactics continue to be good against raids that ignore your defenses.

Kryc8

First create colony in mountains so it's surrounded by mountains then mine a tunel and wait. ;)

Listen1

Bugs attack raiders? Amazing, didn't know that.

Thought it was like prisioners, they just didn't care.

Kryc8

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on June 30, 2016, 11:59:58 AM
Bugs attack raiders? Amazing, didn't know that.
They even kill caravan animals so free resources if you manage to kill bugs or steal stuff when they are sleeping. Bugs can also dig into ruins with mechanoids to make your game more epic. (mechanoids vs bugs vs raiders vs you)

Mr. Ego

BAH, The best strategy is make an infinite maze and let them die of hunger while they walk the maze. Hahahaha... I Heard someone saying "Maze Runner"?

Kryc8

/\ Mega maze? Add bugs to it and you have perfect scenario for new movie/film
The hunger maze bugs

CrazyTribal

I still use the same basic tactics ..  Funnel the enemies through a mountain, lots of traps  some sandbags to slow them down. 

On open/flat areas turrets spaced enough apart so if one goes off, they don't blow the rest to pieces, sandbags for colonists and more traps.

Toughest I've found to plan for is sappers.. since you never really know where they are going to choose to come in from... and of course sieges. 

Another thing I sometimes do is set up turrets at different locations around the map, with an enclosed battery and solar panel.   Tends to slow enemies down a bit..
Question:What's better than a Chocolate Chip Cookie?
Answer: I don't want to know the answer...

Come visit Crazy Tribal Gaming Youtube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9L17J54Il77T6t95d4G3pw

Wex

The most difficult defence up to now was against manhunters. Had something like 60 boars enter the map. I excavated another entrance to the base, if it happens next time, I would have my pawns take pot shot alternatively form both doors.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison