Defense tactics

Started by noel1, June 27, 2016, 04:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Manhunters are easy to defend against.  You build a handful of turrets.  You sit inside and watch the exploding turrets kill all the animals.  Then you come back outside and collect all the meat.

(Note this doesn't work so well against manhunting elephants and muffalo -- but they're so slow that you can just play shoot-and-scoot with your colonists out in the open until they die)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

CrazyTribal

Another good defense against Manhunters is using stone chunks and sandbags to slow them down and use turrets to cut them down.     Like the above poster said, they go after turrets and blow themselves up usually take a couple others with them.
Question:What's better than a Chocolate Chip Cookie?
Answer: I don't want to know the answer...

Come visit Crazy Tribal Gaming Youtube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9L17J54Il77T6t95d4G3pw

Wex

The problem arises when they are in the hundred, as a number.
25 elephants, it's a chore, 80 muffalo is dangerous, 100 squirrels, you are gone.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Shurp

I never had 100 squirrels attack, but I can't imagine them taking out a turret unless 20+ pile on -- and then *boom*, 20 less squirrels to deal with.  If you have 5 turrets, you're fine.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Wex on July 05, 2016, 10:18:33 PM
The most difficult defence up to now was against manhunters. Had something like 60 boars enter the map. I excavated another entrance to the base, if it happens next time, I would have my pawns take pot shot alternatively form both doors.
That's your problem: "both doors". Manhunters can't deal with door peeking pot shots. Two doors is still on the low side.

CrazyTribal

I wonder how well a room with 2 doors would work with manhunters.  Keep one open to lure them in.. then close it behind them and just trap the whole pack inside till they starve.  Luring them in would be the challenge I suppose.

Wex

This is brilliant. Have it done by the fastest colonist, maybe with autodoors.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

CrazyTribal

Yeah, will have to try this idea sometime but this is the basics...

3 doors.  Door A  open ... pack chases colonist.. colonist lures to room.. goes through Door B (auto door).. travels around room through tunnel.. goes through Door C .. closes Door A.

End of Pack.. food for Colonists lol

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Wex

You don't need that. Just uncheck the first door as soon as the last manhunter goes in; it will close.
    Harlan Ellison

CrazyTribal

Won't the door close as soon as the first manhunter goes through? How would you keep it open long enough for the last one to go through and then have it autoshut?

Miner_239

I use mods, so embrasures + reinforced stuff + more turrets = constant security for me. Nothing would survive volleys of four military grade turrets long enough to deal 4350 damage to an embrasure. If raiders brings guns, then I keep them at bay with colonists and let them assist the turrets. I also wall off the perimeter of my base so that raiders can only shoot at my turrets if they are in range of my turrets.

keylocke

i'm kinda surprised no one has yet made a stickypost that lists all the known defensive tactics, since most are generally combinations of several basic features.

ie :
-place turrets behind walls out of direct LOS (line of sight) until the enemy is actually in firing range, to avoid your turrets getting sniped
-turrets are explosive, they're also good for distraction/ambush
-abuse diagonal empty tiles (you can attack enemies diagonally and you can build walls diagonally), but the enemies can't enter the gap.
-use thick roof collapse by shooting at support walls.
-temperature traps
-bug infestation traps
-deadfall traps
-explosive traps
-shielded-baits : colonists with shield in cover or running around to attract enemy fire, while your gunners bullet-spam your enemies.
-grenadier hit-and-run : while your shielded-baits distract centipedes, grenadiers would pop out of cover spam grenades and retreat.
-beastmaster-flanker : your beastmaster and his dozens of wargs and bears is a one-man-army. they are best used when outflanking enemies while your main army attracts their attention.
-stock insanity lances : use them on enemies with rocket launchers.
-stock rocket launchers : because rocket launchers.
-etc..

Wex

Quote from: CrazyTribal on July 10, 2016, 11:26:22 AM
Won't the door close as soon as the first manhunter goes through? How would you keep it open long enough for the last one to go through and then have it autoshut?
No, no. You check "keep door open", when the colonist goes in (the door will stay open), you let the animals in, and as soon you check "keep door open" again, the door will close as soon as another pawn (the manhunter animal) goes in.
    Harlan Ellison

CrazyTribal

Ah I see what you mean.  Perfect way to get rid of those pesky creatures and get some meats as well. :)

Thane

Quote from: CrazyTribal on July 11, 2016, 03:12:31 PM
Ah I see what you mean.  Perfect way to get rid of those pesky creatures and get some meats as well. :)

Unless they are carnivores. Also you need a colonist to close the door.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.