RIVER on map creation

Started by Kegereneku, February 09, 2015, 04:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kegereneku

It come to me I haven't seen any river in video or the biome I looked, there was water but no river. And this suggestion seem to come up regularly.

So, my turn : River

Such river would appear on the world map, It can be crossed albeit at lower speed.
The animal would need to be able to do so too, they would frequently migrate to the river.

Ideas to accompany river/lake :
Structure :
- Bridge floor, would also allow me to reach metal beyond deep water.
(Hypothetically I would like to build entirely upon a lake, it would be costly as hell but defensible)

Power source :
- Watermill / Hydro-turbine (would not work in lake)

Production :
- Fish net
- Gold extraction (would not work in lake)

• Event : Flash Flood
    The river become off-limit, colonist who were in at the time end up injured on the side downstream
    Challenge for the player : Both a challenge and an advantage as it can slow down enemy but can also cut a map in two

• Event : Frozen river
    At their smallest portion the river can become solid and fully crossable, elsewhere there's still liquid water and colonist who try to cross catch instant hypothermia.
    Challenge for the player : If the river is large or tortuous enough it could change a lot the way you move across the map.

In the same vein we could have lake, not subject to river event though.

Edit :
Thinking about it, if outside temperature is already below 0, being in water should be worse.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

HattoriHanzo

Great idea! Love it!

Further event: Flood

Heavy rain fills the river with masses of water it can't handle, the river therefore doubles in width for x days destroying every building nearby.

Also soil near rivers should be always fertile.

Kegereneku

Quote from: HattoriHanzo on February 09, 2015, 04:30:41 AM
Also soil near rivers should be always fertile.

Woah, let's not be ahead of ourself here. I mean, we also want rockish torrent in mountainous zone don't we ? It can't be always-always fertile then.
But if it happened to look like that in desert or Arid Shrubland, it would be very immersive.

And new event suggestion :

• Event : Object brought by the river
    River are source of life, it stand to reason that other colony or building were built upstream. If so, chance are that the river will bring objects with it. (wood, clothes, skins, injured colonist, floating Mechanoid)

Challenge for the player : None, this is the plus side of risking flood, you might get object from upstream.

-------
Write an Event

RickyMartini

Also this is a reminder that fishing is just a must have feature. It just has to get added in a later Alpha.

Phos Hilaron

These are some cool ideas! I would like some rivers on the map as well! :)

HattoriHanzo

Quote from: Kegereneku on February 10, 2015, 11:51:22 AM
Woah, let's not be ahead of ourself here. I mean, we also want rockish torrent in mountainous zone don't we ? It can't be always-always fertile then.

Soil =/= Rock.

In snowy and rocky regions, it shouldn't get fertile, that's for sure. Just thought using the term "soil" should be enough, next time I'm going to be more specific ;)

Further idea:

Fishnets as an item sound like "give it a colonist and he goes fishing" (like hunting? Fish as animal in the river maybe? could be moddable...hm..), but what about a bow net/fish trap as a structure? Build it and it "grows" like plants.

Looking forward for more ideas :)

Kegereneku

Oh I see your logic. Nevermind then, my fault for being so focused.

Myself I was thinking of fishnet like a construction that must be manned. (building one would require... clothes ?). But the idea of having them as equipment is better as it would work in lake and sea.

IF Tynan make equipment slot and equipment that is.
-------
Write an Event

HattoriHanzo

I think that could be moddable. Add "Fishing pole" or "Fishing net" as a weapon with 0.1 Damage, Add Fish as animals (could be the tricky part, don't know how to add animals to watter areas) and create a task called "fishing" like hunting.

Voila! Fishing is in the game.

May start a request with that idea in the modding area? Think some talented guy could do that in about 2 hours.

Argon

This could open Rimworld to much more advanced battle tactics. Raiders could be gunned down as they slog across a river. A reverse battle of the Trebia.

-Argon

StorymasterQ

The raider is attempting to ford the river.
The raider has flipped.
The raider have lost: 1 Lee Enfield, 1 Cowboy Hat, 1 Cotton Shirt, 1 Cotton Pants, and a liver.

NEVER FORD THE RIVER!
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Captain Sho

Interesting idea but I foresee a lot of coding involved in something like this. At least to make the game generate maps with rivers that actually look like rivers. Though i dont know how it is coded so i cant say much on that front.

But there are already lakes in the game though they are mostly just there as a hassle right now.
I would like to see some interaction with them like being able to build on them, fishing, etc.
And instead of fishing how about harpooning so that like with hunting which relies on your shooting/melee skill, it would rely on your melee?

Kegereneku

I don't think the coding will be hard, Tynan don't seem to have problem with procedural generation and it's what it is. Minecraft and other game have auto-generated river since eternam and they had depth.

The way I imagine it the Colonist shouldn't have problem crossing it either since it's all a question of movement speed.

I'm more concerned with the game balance, by that I mean who will it pose problem to, us or enemy ? The game is already too hard on some point. (I would have hoped for Cassandra CASUAL to NOT send at me more Pirate than I have colonist, all with superior weapons) I shouldn't need to build "killbox" if its considered an exploit.

Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 12, 2015, 09:15:05 PM
The raider is attempting to ford the river.
The raider has flipped.
The raider have lost: 1 Lee Enfield, 1 Cowboy Hat, 1 Cotton Shirt, 1 Cotton Pants, and a liver.

NEVER FORD THE RIVER!
Someone know his classic.
-------
Write an Event