Am I the only one who's dissapointed?

Started by TrashMan, February 26, 2020, 04:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozobub

Quote from: TrashMan on March 10, 2020, 05:28:33 AM
There is also the local mod folder. A lot of people I know don't even use the workshop because of steam shenanigans and internet connection nuking their modlist.

Also, people that never used mods don't really know what they are missing. Hindsight is 20/20.
a) You still have to download the mods.

b) You're making assumptions you cannot support again.

You're going nowhere with this.  Serial insistence does not generate existence.
Thanks, belgord!

Smuggo

No, you are not the only one. Almost everything added in the DLC was already implemented in mods. The funny thing is:
a) mods are of higher quality than the DLC
b) I don't have to pay twenty smackaroos for mods
c) mods usually don't break the rest of the modlist
Thanks a bunch, I'll stay on 1.0. The DLC is almost Horse Armor-tier addon - if installing Horse Armor forced you to update all your mods, that is.

TrashMan

Quote from: Bozobub on March 10, 2020, 07:16:10 AM
a) You still have to download the mods.

But not from steam.
mods for Rimworld can be found everywhere. Including mod packs.

b) You're making assumptions you cannot support again.
You're going nowhere with this.  Serial insistence does not generate existence.

Wut?

TrashMan

Quote from: Elrood on March 10, 2020, 06:29:36 AM
Using your own food analogy - there are people who like cheeseburger or fish and chips more than full course meal from 5 star restaurant. And then there are so many variants of said 5 star meal that most of us will diverge massively on what we want.

If you want to go deeper into food analogies- most people who eat junk food realize and admit it is junk food.
And in term of nutritional value a meal can be analyzed. It's not a matter of taste.

What I'm trying and failing to convey to you is: Not everyone is bothered by what you think as problems.
That also holds true for real problems. Some people do no care or do not know better. The existence of people who do not care does not invalidate the problem.

Actually from the list you create I don't care about any of it. None of it is worth time to fix from my point of view.
You do not care. And that is your only defense. Because you know you logically cannot defend such flaws and oversights. And some of those would take literally 5 minutes to fix. But you still think it's not worth it? That just awarding lazyness.

My list would go in direction of making systems similar/identical to VGA, Giddy up, Run and Gun, Hospitality, Bad Hygiene, Save the Ship 2, few more things i won't be bothered to remember right now.
Complete opposite to what you would want.

How is that opposite? Those are the EXACT SAME THINGS I listed earlier. I would WANT all of those things implemented into core (but run and gun needs nerfing to default values)... except Save the Ship 2, that could be left for an expansion/DLC.

And I bet there are tone of people who would not agree with both of us, would partially agree, would thing we are mad because they are fine in vanillia....
This is why I say its so subjective.

There isn't a subject on the planet, no matte how objective, that will have everyone agree. There are still people who believe in flat earth.
Universal agreement is not necessary. Proper argumentation is. There has to be more than "I like this" or "I hate this" behind such decisions. Cost/benefit analysis. Balance impact. Gameplay impact. Narrative impact. Common sense.

Boboid

Quote from: TrashMan on March 10, 2020, 04:55:34 AM
Quote from: Bozobub on March 09, 2020, 07:47:16 AM
You made general claims about what "people" want in the game.  Try again.

Most people. In my experience. I've talked to thousands and the overwhelming majority mirrors my thoughts. And that is further confirmed by gameplay.
Quote from: TrashMan on March 10, 2020, 02:01:19 PM
Universal agreement is not necessary. Proper argumentation is. Common sense.

Well if anything good has come of this off-the-rails-argument it's that it made me grin.
Emphasis mine of course.

Maybe pick a different hill to die on?
Maybe something else might be more important to you?
Just a thought, Friendly/Empathetic advice even.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

ProfZelonka

Sounds like Tynan could send out a survey to everyone who's bought the game and we could really see what the players actually enjoy and what they don't enjoy.

Not that Tynan is likely to see this post as you guys have been bickering over "well he said" "well I said" for 6 pages..

TrashMan

Quote from: Boboid on March 11, 2020, 08:49:43 AM
Quote from: TrashMan on March 10, 2020, 04:55:34 AM
Quote from: Bozobub on March 09, 2020, 07:47:16 AM
You made general claims about what "people" want in the game.  Try again.

Most people. In my experience. I've talked to thousands and the overwhelming majority mirrors my thoughts. And that is further confirmed by gameplay.
Quote from: TrashMan on March 10, 2020, 02:01:19 PM
Universal agreement is not necessary. Proper argumentation is. Common sense.

Well if anything good has come of this off-the-rails-argument it's that it made me grin.
Emphasis mine of course.

Maybe pick a different hill to die on?
Maybe something else might be more important to you?
Just a thought, Friendly/Empathetic advice even.

You see a contradiction where there is none.

Bozobub

Nope.  Your insistence, no matter how emphatic or voluminous, still doesn't magically generate existence.  Nor are people who disagree with you necessarily uninformed, misinformed, or even incorrect.

Be exactly as disappointed as you feel is appropriate.  That still defines nothing for anyone else but you.  You can stop trying to insist what "people" want, since you have nothing but unsupported/able anecdotes as backup; lose the plural, buster.  No one is impressed.

Oh, by the by?  No, you haven't interviewed "thousands of people" re: their opinions on this subject.  Transparent hyperbole isn't going to help you here.

Thanks, belgord!

Sidestrafe2462

Quote from: Bozobub on March 10, 2020, 07:16:10 AM
Serial insistence does not generate existence.

I'm keeping this quote for later use

Breadbox

Truth be told, the dlc's not as content filled as I was hoping for 20 dollars, I was hoping for something truly expansive or revolutionary like Save Our ships 2, but that's just me.

weryj

Quote from: TrashMan on February 26, 2020, 04:01:08 AM
People complained that the game is unfinished, and frankly..it kinda feels like it. There are so many holes in the game that I cannot imagine ever playing without 100+ mods, simply for all the QoL improvements and adding missing content. What is missing, you may ask?

This game is so large, with a surface area this big of course there will be an area that feels like it could have more detail. Someone can only do so much.

Bozobub

RW was also developed with mods specifically in mind.  If you predefine too much content, you limit what mods can do, that simple.

Can RW improve?  Definitely!  Is "vanilla" RW a complete game?  Yes.  Arguing otherwise is pointless; far too many people use few (or even no) mods for that to work.

Furthermore, in many, if not most cases where people are carrying on about content they feel is missing, it's hideously bloated BS I'd NEVER want, myself.  Subjectivity is like that... ::)
Thanks, belgord!

TrashMan

Quote from: Bozobub on March 12, 2020, 07:33:17 AM
Nope.  Your insistence, no matter how emphatic or voluminous, still doesn't magically generate existence.

Existence of what?

Be exactly as disappointed as you feel is appropriate.  That still defines nothing for anyone else but you.  You can stop trying to insist what "people" want, since you have nothing but unsupported/able anecdotes as backup; lose the plural, buster.  No one is impressed.

Oh, by the by?  No, you haven't interviewed "thousands of people" re: their opinions on this subject.  Transparent hyperbole isn't going to help you here.

Feelings are irrelevant. Fact are. And factually, you cannot defend half the stuff that goes on.
We can discuss taste until the cows come home and never agree because our taste buds are geared differently. But if the food is prepared on a dirty floor crawling with bacteria, taste ultimatively matters little. You can like the sewage burger all you want, just don't claim it's not covered in shit.

So go ahead. Defend these design decisions. Explain to me how operating on the leg and ending up cutting out an eyes makes sense or makes for good gameplay?
Explain to me how a clear and obvious gap in transportation and tech levels is good?
Explain to me how a broken raid system is good?
Explain to me why simple, logical, widely-known solutions dating to the bronze age aren't avilable to the colonists?

TrashMan

Quote from: Bozobub on March 16, 2020, 07:47:41 PM
RW was also developed with mods specifically in mind.  If you predefine too much content, you limit what mods can do, that simple.

Can RW improve?  Definitely!  Is "vanilla" RW a complete game?  Yes.  Arguing otherwise is pointless; far too many people use few (or even no) mods for that to work.

Furthermore, in many, if not most cases where people are carrying on about content they feel is missing, it's hideously bloated BS I'd NEVER want, myself.  Subjectivity is like that... ::)

A cop-out. An excuse to deliver as little and polish as little, under the guise of benevolence.

People joke about the "Bethesdea approach" - make a basic framework and let poor saps provide the best content and polish and fix your mistakes. It's no joke, unfortunately.

RW is a "complete" incomplete game.

Bozobub

You can believe exactly as you like, that drives nothing for anyone else but you.  Deal with it; that's how subjective opinion works, no matter how bunched and twisted your undies get.
Thanks, belgord!