Automated Units.

Started by Pakislav, January 13, 2014, 12:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFplayer

Quote from: Galileus on January 24, 2014, 08:35:38 AM
I've compared your reasoning based on assumptions with typical way of reasoning of most conspiracy theories.

Right, why not just say that my way of argumenting is comparable to that of conspiracy theorists? Wouldn't that have been sufficient?

QuoteAnd seriously, pulling a Hitler card is pretty sickening ... and pretending to be a victim

I fully agree.

Galileus

Wouldn't it be sufficient to stop when I told you I've meant no such thing? Are you STILL trying to blame me of something? Because I have had about enough of your arrogant holier-than-thou bollocks.

So, FFS, EoT.

DFplayer

Can i summarize?

I say that i find your comparision of my way of argumentation with that of antisemites inappropriate.

Your response is that i try to compare you with hitler, which doesn't even make sense. (your immediate response isn't that this wasn't your intention).

So i ask you about your intention and afterwards you threaten me by calling the mods (what do you want to tell them, that i thought it was inappropriate and out of context of you to compare my argumentation with that of antisemites?)

I keep asking you for your intention and necessary of that comparision and you keep overeacting even more.

Quote from: Galileus on January 24, 2014, 09:13:05 AMWouldn't it be sufficient to stop when I told you I've meant no such thing?

Ok, if so, let's stop that.

kdfsjljklgjfg

QuoteI know that assuming that an engineer with knowledge in weaponry (enough to build an highly advanced automatic turret) can use his skills and knowledge to tinker weapons is incredibly far stretched. (really?! -__- )

Knowledge in one area of weaponry, not another.

During WW2, who made most of Germany's small arms? Mauser
Who made most of their artillery? Krupp and Rheinmetall
Who made their aircraft? Focke-Wulf, Messerschmitt, and Heinkel
Who made their warships? Blohm & Voss

And yet, one guy is supposed to have a more varied skillset than several enormous state-funded companies? Different weapons require different knowledge, often even if this involves just the tiniest variation between them.

Stoker

How about instead of automated units, remote controlled units? A remote controlled construction droid that still requires a colonist to control it but it can build significantly faster. They are more efficient than your colonists but you are more limited in how many you can have than robots since they still require people to control them. They are also expensive, require a lot of power, perhaps require recharging and are susceptible to solar flares and such. Might be more fun than robots. Also of course remote controlled combat droids and so on... Or powered armor suits, something like the exoskeleton in alien? Anything to keep your people the center of attention instead of being more or less replaced by robots in the later game.

Galileus

Quote from: Stoker on January 24, 2014, 04:53:49 PM
How about instead of automated units, remote controlled units? A remote controlled construction droid that still requires a colonist to control it but it can build significantly faster. They are more efficient than your colonists but you are more limited in how many you can have than robots since they still require people to control them. They are also expensive, require a lot of power, perhaps require recharging and are susceptible to solar flares and such. Might be more fun than robots. Also of course remote controlled combat droids and so on... Or powered armor suits, something like the exoskeleton in alien? Anything to keep your people the center of attention instead of being more or less replaced by robots in the later game.

Even before finished reading your post, I've thought about loaders from aliens :) Yes, this is deffintielly an interesting approach I can support!

Stoker

Just a further thought. This could be two different levels of technology. The exoskeletons are a bit more low tech and the remote controlled droids are more high-tech. Mostly since they keep your colonists out of danger, perhaps however you could limit their usefulness further by a limited range, say some sort of transmitter that they have to stay in touch with. Also means maybe they can't operate far underground...

Galileus

This would be a great way to differentiate non-combat things from combat things - is such things come. Early, low tech exo's would be dangerous in fight while remotes would be much more safe to be used as fighting machines.

Trensicourt

I have an example of a low tech combat exoskeleton. The wearer would have to strap on the suit.
The suit will have massive flat shield on 1 arm in the front. This shield is like a wall, the user can tilt behind his massive yet mobile shield. The exoskeleton shield have a 90% of covering the user if it was shot in front of it. The rest of the exoskeleton however is protected by standard Kevlar(reinforced with steel plating) that soaks up the damage dealt directly to the user. (the shield should be repaired or replaced by using metal)
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: DFplayer on January 22, 2014, 09:40:57 PM
QuoteActually no, the conversation did not end when i said that, in fact it became a great productive conversation about DRONES. Then tynan chimed in and said yes they will be in game. Like i said you should have read after that.

But the conversation about whether or not its realistic stopped. Afterwards started a new conversation.

One of the disadvantages of a bulletin board is that posts are sorted in chronological order instead of their thematic, but i can't change that.

Its still a valid discussion under the main topic of this thread.

Quoteactually read this please.
You obviously didn't.

I did, i can't see why you'd think otherwise.

But it seems like you never questioned what you read.

Quotebut many civilizations OF HUMANS. Don't have the tech for space travel. The civilization on earth has fallen, thousands of years ago.

Guess why i said that everyone who is VISITING us has the technology of space travel and, more important, our first three colonists do! I never said everyone has, just the people visiting us and our three starting colonists.

Except all these people visiting us lived their whole life on the planet we stranded on. (However, there are event's about people crashlanding on our rimworld and im sure that raiders will attack with energy weapons at some point.)

QuoteThee is a reason the people on OUR planet in game are still condemmed to guns and not energy rifles (energy rifles are extremely rare and hard to come by).

I say its simply because of gameplay and style (like steampunk, its a cool but unrealistic mix of modern and middle age).

Realistically it doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

People that can travel in space definitely wouldn't rely on middle age weapons.

I mean, honestly, come on.

A space ship flying trough space, to a rimworld far away from civilization, to sell you gunpowder weapons of the last millennium?! Does this sound like an economic business model for you? They have higher costs for fuel then what these primitives could offer you. If these ships can't travel faster then light, how much profit will you make by traveling for some hundred of years to sell freaking gunpowder weapons?!

Even sending these weapons via some kind of torpedos to a definite location on a rimworld (making sure that they don't get destroyed by entering atmosphere or landing impact!!!!) is more expensive then anything a primitive colony could offer these weapon dealers. (and, again, the technology for doing so is more advanced then anything we have today.)

And what do we sell these gun dealers? Pistols and selfmade nutrient paste... Wow, thats definitely a good deal for them! They own high tech of the next millennial and trade pistols with pistols... Also I guess that if they are capable of traveling for hundred of years they made sure that they won't suffer by starvation at any point, and they give you far more for pistols then for nutrient paste, so it's not like they desperately need our nutrient paste.

If we had anything useful to offer them, why shouldn't these slave traders simply jump down to our colony and kill us all with some advanced weapons and then take whatever they need? Or at least try to threaten and gouge us?

You know, even a modern helicopter gunship from our current realworld could easily conquer and destroy our little colony without damaging the stockpiles.That kind of helicopter that has mounted multiple rockets with a range of multiple kilometers could easily deal with our turrets. Or some remote controlled attack drones the us uses in 2014.

Or how about gas attacks? Or Radiation? Everything could be looted afterwards. If the colonists have to rely on pistols, it shouldn't be much of a problem to kill them and take whatever these primitives could offer you. The colonists are usually armed with nothing more then a handful of pistols when the first slave or weapon trader arrives.

It simply doesn't make sense, if you managed to own a spacecraft more advanced then anything we could build in the next hundred of years, it shouldn't be much of a problem to gather a gunship or attack drones from 2014.

If there are people building these spacecrafts, it shouldn't be much of a problem for these people to build some weapons from 2014. Not just rifles but bombs, gunships, atomic weapons, lethal gas bombs ....

Flying light years (!) trough space to sell gunpowder weapons is ridiculous. But its fun Gameplay wise. Having Energy rifles that could shoot over the complete map without missing would suck and no one would want that, no matter if it is realistic.

Edit:

QuoteThese places tend to hover around the industrial level of technology or lower.

Yea, these automatic turrets are quite beyond industrial technology, so is the mining equipment of our colonists. And the spaceship they crashlanded with.

Or the communication technology to contact spaceships from far away. Its not a satellite, its something they built in the desert. In a single day. They didn't even needed the research lab for it. Its not even big. And doesn't need that much energy - 200 watt. 50 watt more then a standing lamp.

Its never told how far away these trading ships are, but i believe that they don't orbit the rimworld - planet and just fly somewhat nearby. Except they really want to trade pistols with primitives or there is indeed some advanced city on our planet that would justify to spent fuel and time to get into orbit and leave it afterwards...

They can build a communication device for space (that also detects spacecrafts) that doesn't need much more energy then a lamp and is quite small, on a desert.

The only thing that is industrial tech are the weapons and some buildings like solar panels, beds and lamps.

Oh, and the doors don't look like industrial tech either.

And i'm quite sure that the drones we'll built at some point in the game will most likely be equipped with industrial tech weapons too, no matter if this would be realistic :).
I'm back, seems like you LOVE arguments dfplayer, you got in one RIGHT after a left?

Yes it is a game, I understand that, and it fits right with its own lore, lets keep it in its own lore.

I'm not questioning what I read?
The reason for this is that TYNAN WROTE THAT.

Energy rifles do exist in game, you get them late game, but they do NOT shoot over the whole map.Liek I said they are rare and hard to come by.

faster then light/Light speed does NOT exist in the rimverse the document i linked you to says that in bold text RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING.

How do you not get this?

But for some truly gamebreaking discussion:
I presume that these traders may have access to a ship (they must) , but perhaps no high level weapons.I can assure you nobody would travel over multiple star systems in the rimverse to trade a couple m-14's to a few stranded colonists.But if somebody has access to a ship and can make profit off of all the people of this planet BY selling throughout the planet people would do that. Tis monopolizing. That is what happens when multiple tech levels collide.
But, it is  a game, I'll let that sly. (suspension of disbelief ACTIVATE)
One bigger question is, if they have a ship..why not just rescue the colonists or take em prisoner.

Our people were in "Longsleep pods" so we can safely assume we have been in space for a very long time.

But why not the traders?

Because they are stuck on this planet or in this solar system perhaps?

But if that is true why are we stuck with guns and not higher tech?

I mean if we have a civ that is capable of colonizing and navigating their own solar system they have access to higher tech?

The civ or the traders STOLE the ships?

we will never  know

Its a game.

I also believe the huge frequency of appearing and the variety of things that trader sells to you is simply as a placeholder, the game is NO WHERE near finished at this point and we can expect it to go in the more lore-friendly direction later in the games development.

However
And people are entitled to their own opinions as to how this game will turn out. I like the less technology idea.
You don't.

Tynan said robots will exist.. its no longer worth arguing about.

But we can try to brainstorm how we want the robots.

I want them to be drones similar to what me and gal came up with earlier.

Just a further thought. This could be two different levels of technology. The exoskeletons are a bit more low tech and the remote controlled droids are more high-tech. Mostly since they keep your colonists out of danger, perhaps however you could limit their usefulness further by a limited range, say some sort of transmitter that they have to stay in touch with. Also means maybe they can't operate far underground..

This I could live with.

The exoskeletons are also not a horrible idea.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Pakislav

Such discussion. Much argue. No sense.

Trensicourt

I quit a long time ago.... robots turned into droids and people arguing about crap....
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

Tynan

Yeah, locked. Shoulda done it a while ago.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog