How hot are your colonists?

Started by digitCruncher, December 11, 2014, 04:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

The game is forgiving or not of heat stroke and hypothermia depending on which time scale you consider.

There are two time scales in RimWorld
-The date time scale
-The real-time time scale

A day in the date time scale is only about 5 and a half minutes long in the real time scale.

Most game systems are scaled somewhere between them. This includes things like heatstroke and hypothermia. So they'll survive days over 80C. But they'll also collapse in cool-sauna temperatures within 15 minutes, depending on how you look at it.

But you guys are right, some of those weather events are a little crazy. However! We should remember that this isn't Earth. At least, that's my wimpy explanation.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Dragoon_103

I think my colonists are pretty hot, they got nice figures, nice hair, and a tan! (joke comment)

DaNewb

Quote from: cliodne on December 11, 2014, 05:13:35 AM
82C isn't that much. I regularly visit saunas that are around 100C. Air is bad heat conductor.
Working in those conditions however would probably result in a heat stroke after a couple of minutes.

Now if you'd jump into a 82C hot tub, that would be a different story :D

Those 90-100C saunas have strictly regulated humidity that allows that.  Humid saunas get to maybe 40C and that is pushing it.  A tropical rain forest or even temperate forest is going to have a lot or at least some humidity which would make 82C completely impossible to work yet alone live and breath.

Cat123

Quote from: Tynan on December 11, 2014, 03:14:41 PM

But you guys are right, some of those weather events are a little crazy. However! We should remember that this isn't Earth. At least, that's my wimpy explanation.

If you have trees, mammals and humans existing on your not-Earth, they still have to conform to realistic genetic variables. 40-45oC should be the upper end of desert biomes. 50oC+ = entire map should die off.[1]

Sure, colonists could survive if you added in water dynamics - something that could be easily added (there's a mod that adds rain water barrels / wells). Dune world - windtraps / plastic sheet condensation etc. Swamp water needing purifiers.

A basic game calc would be:

1) Each colonist requires X litres fresh water / day
2) If not purified then chances of disease (malaria, dysentery etc) increases
3) Base temperature of biome = mod on 1) requirements (i.e. desert biome = *1.4 mod on water req)
4) Food type effects this (would require typing foods to biomes - e.g. no strawberries in tundra or desert without either glasshouse or irrigation; add species like cacti to desert biome - long growth, but gives water as well as nutrition)

As stated - there's mods out there that have water as a resource - it isn't hard to add. Storage would be simple - from barrels to ponds to humidifiers to melting snow.

Would it be fun? Sure: it'd also give incentive to settling near open water[2].

At the moment, you have tundra biomes with temperatures of 40oC+ even without heat waves. This is borked - feel free to spank your beta testers already.

[1] An interesting dynamic would be to allow changes to base biome. e.g. colonists do X enough, then biome changes to Y. Might be a little unrealistic in terms of colony lifespan (5 years)
[2] Yeah, and you could add rivers to biomes. Atm water is a bit lackluster - the auto-generation of swamp around it is a bit meh.

Tynan

Quote from: Cat123 on December 11, 2014, 05:26:56 PM
Sure, colonists could survive if you added in water dynamics - something that could be easily added

Glad to see you're confident on how easy these things are.

Mystic

Quote from: Tynan on December 11, 2014, 05:54:40 PM
Quote from: Cat123 on December 11, 2014, 05:26:56 PM
Sure, colonists could survive if you added in water dynamics - something that could be easily added

It's kind of your own fault ... you've got most of us believing that you can walk on water at this point, what with the rapid progression of this game, so of course some will expect you to have water dynamics available at a snap of your fingers.  :)

Tynan

That said a water system does seem like potentially a good way to go for anyone who wants to try to make an in-depth mod.

NephilimNexus

You want heat?  That's easy - just forget to make your thermal generator room into a no-roof zone.

The bleed-over heat was making the nearby bedrooms hover around thirty five degrees as well.  Here I was, the middle of winter, and wondering why my colonists spent half their time on the verge of heat stroke.

Of course that's nothing compared to what happened to my prisoners.  I figured the best way to keep their barracks warm was to build it next to the kitchen freezer (set to a perfect negative ten so as to keep all the food frozen), using said freezer's refrigeration units to blow warm exhaust air into the otherwise cold wooden barracks to keep it warm.  Solve two problems at once, right?  Well while it worked great in theory, in reality that room shot up to over one hundred and fifty degrees and killed all my captives... while it was snowing outside. 

wooaa

I came here for video games. I stayed for the discussion on climatology and its effects on ecosystems.

digitCruncher

I for one am not complaining. Just saying that a little tweaking to make super-hot temperatures less survivable in general would be a good idea. Probably by significantly increasing the speed at which people get heatstroke at >50C temperatures, with it increasing ever-faster as you get higher and higher temperatures. Random fires at >50C temperatures would be cool too.

As a programmer, whenever a non-programmer says something is 'easy', it isn't. Ever.

Cat123

Quote from: Tynan on December 11, 2014, 05:54:40 PM

Yeah, ok came across a bit wrong. Add an implicit with the coding skills shown in Rimworld.

To be a bit less jarring: the temperature system is great, it just needs the numbers slightly altering. e.g. upper bounds lessened, heat stroke / frostbite etc kicking in at more normative temps.

Quote from: digitCruncher on December 11, 2014, 11:42:12 PM
As a programmer, whenever a non-programmer says something is 'easy', it isn't. Ever.

Given that food consumption is already in, water consumption would just be a version of this. Making temperature increase the # required would be interesting, but doable (food is already on a timer).

Rimworld: the swimming pool, sauna and bathing mod would be a little harder.

stefanstr

Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:35:52 PM
I came here for video games. I stayed for the discussion on climatology and its effects on ecosystems.

Thanks for this comment. It’s the first time I burst out laughing reading this forum.

On topic of temperature, I wish we had doors which we could remotely open and close. This way, I could invite raiders into a room with five freezers around, but the hot end in. Cooked raiders FTW.