Rimworld on the iPad?

Started by ParagonTerminus, July 20, 2014, 05:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParagonTerminus

So here's a suggestion for maybe a year into the future:

When Rimworld is fully released, why not port a smaller and less complex version to the iPad?

Minecraft did it. Civilization did it. Most of all, FTL: Faster Than Light did it (and they actually integrated the whole game, not just a lite version). Why not Rimworld?

Here are some issues I can foresee:

1. Computation. The iPad is, granted, a lot weaker than a computer, but I think that if the worlds are made smaller and some stuff is taken out, the game will work perfectly fine, with maybe a crash here or there. Also, by the time releasing Rimworld on the iPad becomes a possibility, iPads themselves will be much more powerful.

2. Profitability. I really don't think Rimworld will have an issue making money. It fits into a clique of games which the App Store lacks but would probably receive well. A hardcore survival city builder won't be taken to badly.

Other than that, I think that you should definitely aim to put Rimworld on the iPad as an end-of-the-line objective!
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

BetaSpectre

Makes some sense to me, but I'd think the controls would be just a lil tough, at one time if this game generates enough I'm sure its worth doing.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

StorymasterQ

I like the idea, but I'd change 'iPad' with 'Tablet computers'.

You have to admit, the iPad is neither the only nor the most prominent tablet computer at the moment. I personally couldn't see Apple getting back on its awe-inspiring history without Jobs.

Anyway, 'tablet computers'.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Coenmcj

Performance is a major concern here, if this is to be even considered, it will be a long way down the line & even then, it may have to be severely dumbed down for such a minor platform.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Halinder

I can just imagine people tapping furiously during raids. "No, don't take cover behind the potatoes, take cover behind the sandbags!"

putsam

Quote from: StorymasterQ on July 20, 2014, 09:57:15 PM

You have to admit, the iPad is neither the only nor the most prominent tablet computer at the moment. I personally couldn't see Apple getting back on its awe-inspiring history without Jobs.

I agree tots

I actually play rimworld on my surface 2 and it never lags
Then again, I haven't survived a raid of more then 30 people

StorymasterQ

Quote from: putsam on August 06, 2014, 10:12:12 PM

I agree tots

I actually play rimworld on my surface 2 and it never lags
Then again, I haven't survived a raid of more then 30 people

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

Teovald

Oh yes. IMO it does not make a lot of sense to port the engine 'only' to iOS .. It is an huge amount of work, so if it is considered (and I don't think it is necessarily a good thing for the game), I think it would make a lot of sense to directly target iOS + Android.
(off topic : "the iPad is neither the only nor the most prominent table" even as an Android dev, I politely disagree. the iPad may no longer be a marketshare leader, but it is still the mind share leader. I hope I am not starting a flame war).

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Teovald on August 08, 2014, 05:31:51 AM
(off topic : "the iPad is neither the only nor the most prominent table" even as an Android dev, I politely disagree. the iPad may no longer be a marketshare leader, but it is still the mind share leader. I hope I am not starting a flame war).

Alright, I'll agree with your 'mind share leader' part. But I contend that we have to suffix that with 'in the US.' In the rest of the world, what I said is indubitably true.

...I've exhausted all my recommended daily budget of difficult words.