[A16] techtree, many mods, other stuff..

Started by Adoelrome, January 05, 2017, 10:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adoelrome

look, guys, i've done such a thing ..
each iteration of this game (like KSP or project zomboid) i do big assembly of bunch of mods (104 right now).
and, as you know, if you apply a lot of mods and open research tab, you will see an example of perfect chaos.
So i decided to bring a little order on this anarchy island.. and as i plunged into the editing, i began to link the projects in a manner that i would consider logical.
or, if u want, like "Civilization"-game series.
so now it is a big-long tech tree where each tech follows from another and is linked to the following.

But that's not all. another merging, as usual:
- re-link recipes to one type workbench (no need 100500 workbenches to use all recipes (except tiers ofc));
- binding obvious things from different mods (coal with all wood-fuel users, for example);
- other little things like "why the @#$% i can not construct it of a (wood/stone/steel/other material)? it is the religious taboo?";
- other small things that now I can not remember all (that seems logical or obvious to me).
in other words, i just rework the game by myself so that it is logical and convenient.

it's quite a lot of work about 10-15 hours in the last week in total (100+ mods merged and i add something every day).
and once i have just thought: it's only my game or may it be used by other people?
can this be useful? is it interesting to someone else?

other links to techtree if the forum suddenly doesn't open the picture:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90303206@N07/31733036030/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90303206@N07/32069287766/in/dateposted-public/

AngleWyrm

My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Taurec

YES! This were very useful. I have actually this Problem:

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Seeker89

14m1337

are you planning to release that sorted tech tree as mod ?
does it sort itself, depending on the active mods ?
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

ambivalence

I've been talking about it yesterday.

Quote from: ambivalence on January 07, 2017, 08:38:19 PMI agree, there /is/ a problem. The authors are trying to implement their own technologies into the game, here and there, and sometimes there's absolutely no need in them. I mean, if you're creating some stuff – let's say power-saving LED-lamp – it would be better to use the same technology def using in similar projects. I guess, this is the way to clean all the mess we see in our research tree. Nevertheless, I understand that the community needs an organisation to make it real – some kind of forum thread to public these ideas or some library that merges the similar stuff.

It would be very useful. So much mods do not correlate between each other! The community needs it as an oxygen.

ROD

That is a great work.

Quill18 gave an idea: Tabs for Mods tech.

I have another one: Tabs for tier tech. For instance, Vital Monitor would show in a 4th tier tab because it requires 3 previous researches  (if I'm not mistaken ) with that in mind the organization would be just a grid not lines connecting all requirements. On the left side, in the description, the red requirements would be links for the specific tab.
Hope this idea can grow and we have a better Research tree. :)

crusader2010

So, what's the download link? I really need this mod because I can't even see all the research options. Sometimes I think it's too hard to add a vertical scrollbar to a list...
My mod pack: {A13} Mod Mega Pack

white_altar

Hi Adoelrome -

I think this is a very interesting mod idea, and I would be more than happy to help with this mod effort.  I am working on MusicJoy right now, and tried to rewrite WorkTable, which is obviously a nono, but along the way I have learnt C# fairly comfortably and the XML is no big deal.  Let me know if you want to work together on this...

-gustable@github

Jaxxa

Quote from: crusader2010 on February 09, 2017, 01:22:25 PM
So, what's the download link? I really need this mod because I can't even see all the research options. Sometimes I think it's too hard to add a vertical scrollbar to a list...

I font know how feasible releasing it would be as you would need permission from each mod.

Jaxxa

How did you find reorganising all of the research projects?
I had an idea for a Windows program that would make it easier by loading all of your active mods and showing you the research projects, that you could then rearrange and save the new locations.

Although It will be quite a bit of work and I am not certain how helpful it will be for the community.