Tips and Tricks

Started by HartfulFlash, March 25, 2016, 08:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HartfulFlash

What are some neat tricks everyone has learned and uses to get things done faster, level faster, or survive? One thing I've started doing is giving people very inaccurate guns when I send them to hunt and they level up shooting really fast while just hunting one target.

Calahan

If you build doors like this....

W
D
   DW
D
W

D=Door
W=Wall (or rock or whatever)

Then Pawns do not need to actually open the doors to move between rooms as they can simply walk between the doors diagonally. So no door opening, and no slowdown either. Saves a ton of time. Plus you can reduce the fire risk by having brick doors without suffering the long opening times. (although I might regret posting this if Tynan reads this and then patches it out as a bug  :()

Thane

Callahan you have doomed us!

My tip is to use mortars. One is useless, but ten or twenty can focus down anything before it becomes a problem!

Also, have unconnected power grids in convenient spots to turn things off by reconnecting items in a grid. Helpful for turret lines as you only have to click three times to turn them off, or on, with no Pawn work time.

W=W

w=The little connect wire bits

T=Turret

WWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwT                 W

Can Quickly become:

WWWWWWWW                     TwwwwwwwW

Saving power.

It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

forumaccount

Quote from: Calahan on March 25, 2016, 09:12:18 PM

W
D
   DW
D
W

D=Door
W=Wall (or rock or whatever)

Then Pawns do not need to actually open the doors to move between rooms as they can simply walk between the doors diagonally. So no door opening, and no slowdown either. Saves a ton of time. Plus you can reduce the fire risk by having brick doors without suffering the long opening times. (although I might regret posting this if Tynan reads this and then patches it out as a bug  :()

How does that affect temperature? Also seems like it'd take up a lot of extra space... I'd be interested to see a screenshot of a base where you use this technique heavily.
Steam Workshop destroys modding communities. Don't let your town become a megastore's parking lot!

Calahan

Quote from: forumaccount on March 25, 2016, 10:10:07 PM
Quote from: Calahan on March 25, 2016, 09:12:18 PM

How does that affect temperature? Also seems like it'd take up a lot of extra space... I'd be interested to see a screenshot of a base where you use this technique heavily.
There is temperature loss. I have not run extensive tests but the loss seems to be on par with a regular single tile wall. So fine for internal rooms, but not recommended for freezers or connections to anywhere where temperature control matters (eg. outside areas).

Edit - Just did a quick test. Built 3 5x5 rooms. One sealed. One with below door configuration. One with single door held open. Heated the rooms to 50C, then turned heat off. The one with the below door configuration kept its heat noticeably worse than the sealed room, but noticeably better than the one with the open door. So more temperature loss than I first thought, but still see no problem for internal use and/or areas where strict temp control isn't necessary.

It actually takes up one less tile space when compared against a standard-ish room layout.

WWWDWWWDWWW
W           W          W

WWWWD  DWWWW
W          D           W

It takes 15 more materials to build since you're building one door vs two wall sections, but that's more than worth it for the quicker movement.

Attached a screenshot showing the bedroom layout of my most recent base (please excuse the mess. Just had two Tribal raids in quick succession, and a major harvest. So overflowing with corpses, crops and general clutter).

When (or if re: Tynan's bug hammer) I use this again in A13 I'll likely limit rooms to one entrance only. Since the major downside with the layout I'm currently using is that because Pawns don't have to open doors, they also have a large tendency to walk through bedrooms and disturb sleepers (even when it's not the quickest route. Guess they're just lonely. Or into voyeurism?!?)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

RickyMartini

Sorry guys this has been reported. trollolol

Coenmcj

Tynan's Bug Hammer is a merciless thing. :P
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Listy

Chimneys! They're great for cooling large areas.

1) In this game having a corridor around a freezer means you use the least power to cool the room, however you need a vent, and doing that means that its less efficient.
So have your coolers all facing into one space in the middle of the room and unroof that single tile. Maximum efficiency freezer.

2) Wire up sunlamps to a separate grid, which is powered by solar panels at a ratio of three panels to one sun lamp.

Hoat

Wait... Isn't wiring sun lamps only to solar panels defeating the purpose of the sun lamps?

RickyMartini

Quote from: Hoat on March 27, 2016, 05:42:28 PM
Wait... Isn't wiring sun lamps only to solar panels defeating the purpose of the sun lamps?

Not if you're planing on enclosing the sunlamps for winter.

Noobshock

Best tip I can give is build a copious amount of doors so you can play peekaboo and have the best chance of whittling down problematic attacks when things get a little tougher than you'd planned for.

mumblemumble

Quote from: Skissor on March 27, 2016, 05:44:55 PM
Quote from: Hoat on March 27, 2016, 05:42:28 PM

Not if you're planing on enclosing the sunlamps for winter.
unless you have walls dividing it,  and a closed roof,  the winter cold would kill the crops anyways... So you couldn't put them directly on the panel,  or there would be either no sun,  or too cold from the open roof.

My tip is to use small guns or blunt weapons for capturing. Things like pistols and pdws hurt plenty but don't cause huge damage often,  so they work much better for captures than say,  an m16 ,  or sniper. Not that id suggest these to fight Raiders,  but they are great "police"  weapons if you really don't want to kill the target.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

humblebundle

From the wiki, i did not know, i think it is very nice to know for new players:
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Skills
QuoteNote that level decay begins at level 10 (Expert), at which point colonists will be constantly losing experience at an increasing rate the higher the skill is. There is no level 21, as the max experience in the game is capped at 20999, 1 exp short of leveling up. As of Alpha 9, getting a colonist to reach level 20 (Godlike) activates a reward which makes the xp unable to go back down past level 20, 0/21000 is what it will stay at.

My "Trick" to get a lot of money/silver is creating a big room with all over sleep places put there two chickens and a rooster and let them lay eggs...you will get hundrets of eggs and chickens to sell.
Don't forget to double click on the eggs and disable the pickup with f
english is not my main language, that should explain a lot...

mumblemumble

Woah, i never realized that level 20 locks it..  I should really value passions in people more.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.