muffalo and deer

Started by rubbermann1, March 08, 2016, 11:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubbermann1

so i was wandering is it worth waiting the time to breed muffalo and get their insane amount of meat or constantly be breeding deer to get their meat

Boston

What do you mean," Worth the time"?

Muffalo produce milk, wool, and meat and leather when slaughtered. Deer.... produce meat. That is it.

Muffalo are best animal, hands down.

muffins

CHICKENS!

They breed fast, their eggs count as meat and you only need to kill excess males so you can easily fill a dark, cramped room wall-to-wall with egg layers pretty quickly.

Grimandevil

muffalos (or alpacas) furs have better thermal properties, if u're going to make clothes for cold\hot biome. plus the wool.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

asanbr

I find animals are a waste of time and food. The exception is dogs which do a good job hauling ( sometimes I had pigs work as well). And I like to keep wargs around, but usually its just my starting warg since I never successfully tamed one.

I like to tame alpacas and muffalo and sell to traders asap. Other than that, I stopped trying to make animal farms work because they eat so much food. I just shoot animals for food, and only the big ones if I have a choice.

erdrik

Quote from: asanbr on March 11, 2016, 03:39:21 PM
I like to tame alpacas and muffalo and sell to traders asap. Other than that, I stopped trying to make animal farms work because they eat so much food. ...
How many animals did you have that their food consumption became a problem?
I currently have 2 muffalo, 3 pigs, and a hare and have no problem feeding them.
I have a single 5x8 hay field for storage growth, and another 3x5 field for them to directly feed from.
The fields are operating at a surplus.

cameron908

Quote from: erdrik on March 11, 2016, 05:44:03 PM
Quote from: asanbr on March 11, 2016, 03:39:21 PM
I like to tame alpacas and muffalo and sell to traders asap. Other than that, I stopped trying to make animal farms work because they eat so much food. ...
How many animals did you have that their food consumption became a problem?
I currently have 2 muffalo, 3 pigs, and a hare and have no problem feeding them.
I have a single 5x8 hay field for storage growth, and another 3x5 field for them to directly feed from.
The fields are operating at a surplus.

pfft try attempting to keep over 60 wild boar constantly popping out babies and the food requirements for training them all to hauling capacity, they consume wild grass so quick its not viable to let them graze      (a large radius around my base is a grassless wasteland)

erdrik

Quote from: cameron908 on March 11, 2016, 06:57:18 PM
pfft try attempting to keep over 60 wild boar constantly popping out babies and the food requirements for training them all to hauling capacity, they consume wild grass so quick its not viable to let them graze      (a large radius around my base is a grassless wasteland)

Poster 1: Gives no info on size of animal farm or training level of the animals in farm, claims animal farms are unsustainable.

Poster 2: Asks Poster 1 about size of the animal farm and presents his own size as an example of a what is so far sustainable in his experience.

Poster 3: "Pfft"s Poster 2 rudely. Then implies Poster 2's example is somehow invalid because he didn't have 10x the numbers.

I don't train animals intended to be farm animals.
I grow Hay Fields for the animals to graze on, so wild grass or the lack thereof is of no consequence.

The whole reason I asked about the size of asanbr's farm size is so I could get some detail on how they did their farm and compare it to mine for the purpose of potentially helping both our farms improve.
If you were trying to provide further comparison data, you did so both rudely and inadequately.
(unless wild grass is literally the only thing you did to feed your animals? In which case, just rudely)

w00d

i used to keep animals but after multiple games and testing i also do not keep animals except as a quick way to make cash. The extra micromanagement etc is only barely worth the extra resources you get from them. After a while you no longer need them to haul gear as 1. I tend to keep reasonable medium size bases for efficiency and so never haul extra large amounts of gear to sell ( they take a lot of space which translates to heating etc time requirements ) and 2. i do not keep large bases or colonists and so never need to keep a large farm of animals for food etc .

Limdood

Certain animals have different values.  Your situation determines the value of each animal.

For example, excluding Thrumbos:
Camelhair is the best material for building clothes to keep you cool
Muffalo wool is the best material for clothing to keep warm
Alpaca wool is close, but not quite as good for both hot AND cold.

Dogs are easiest and fastest to train

Rhinos and elephants are hard to take down while being used as combat animals...they can survive several raids as long as they don't have to take on a group with no help.
Squirrels and bunnies can be used in combat to lock enemies into melee, but they don't last long.
Boomrats and Boomalopes are dangerous to breed, but can be used as decent "1-shot" combat animals to slow down a tribal raid.

Boars are the easiest to train wild animals, and somewhat hardy in combat.

Wargs deal good damage but are hard to keep fed and trained due to a meat only diet.

erdrik

Quote from: jzero on March 14, 2016, 03:57:09 PM
Poster 4: posts inflammatory and slightly rude post unnecessarily detailing his complaints. Including Boston-esque underlining.
poster 5(me): unleashes poster 4's wrath.

w00d was not rude or inflammatory, and I didn't see anything that could be considered a complaint...
Also I didn't see anything underlined in w00d's post-

Oh. You are trying to refer to me, even though Im Poster 2.
(Ha ha! Up-scaled, italicized "Boston-esque underlining"!)

There we are. "Wrath" unleashed.

Boston

Quote from: jzero on March 14, 2016, 03:57:09 PM
Quote from: erdrik on March 11, 2016, 07:21:41 PM
Poster 1: Gives no info on size of animal farm or training level of the animals in farm, claims animal farms are unsustainable.

Poster 2: Asks Poster 1 about size of the animal farm and presents his own size as an example of a what is so far sustainable in his experience.

Poster 3: "Pfft"s Poster 2 rudely. Then implies Poster 2's example is somehow invalid because he didn't have 10x the numbers.

Poster 4: posts inflammatory and slightly rude post unnecessarily detailing his complaints. Including Boston-esque underlining.

poster 5(me): unleashes poster 4's wrath.

Cute.

You "aspire to be a moderator", yet you mock people who aren't even part of the conversation?

Real mature

I can underline, italicize, and up-scale whatever I damn well please in my own posts, thank you very much. Last I checked, there wasn't a forum rule against it. And, last I checked, you weren't a moderator, so you can hop right off.

User was warned for this post: Rule 3, do not reply to rulebreakers, just report them.