[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boston

Quote from: jefferyharrell on August 05, 2016, 05:17:48 PM
Quote from: Boston on August 05, 2016, 04:28:34 PM
1) The one thing I like most about Combat Realism is that, with CR installed, people actually die when shot.

Yes, there are absolutely balance issues. When a 72-year-old grandmother with dementia and a bad back can execute a thrumbo with a 12-gauge loaded with buckshot, that's a balance issue.

I mean, where did the thrumbo get shot?

It doesn't matter how big something is, or how tough, if you put a bullet in the right spot, it will die.

Case in point: You know about elephants? Largest land creatures on the planet? Using a surplus .303 rifle, which is almost literally the in-game survival rifle, WDM Bell would kill them with a single shot to the head. Using a .275 caliber rifle, he killed over 1000 elephants, using 1.5 shots per elephant.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bell_elephants.htm

Boston

Quote from: Britnoth on August 05, 2016, 05:39:45 PM
Seems this degenerated into

QuoteNo, in real life, we have these sorts of things:

I don't care. This is a game.

If you want realism, go play some first person shooter from some AAA publisher.

Or this mod (when fixed).

Stop trying to impose you view that all games need to be so damn super realistic on the rest of us. It is getting really old.

Cry more. This is a discussion forum, specifically for the mod COMBAT REALISM. We are discussing realism in Rimworld combat. Don't want to talk about that, and instead want to bitch about people talking about said topic? Go somewhere else.

DannyTang

Quote from: Britnoth on August 05, 2016, 05:39:45 PM
Seems this degenerated into

QuoteNo, in real life, we have these sorts of things:

I don't care. This is a game.

You do know that this is CR right? If you dont like realism why the hell are you in this thread.
If you want realism, go play some first person shooter from some AAA publisher.

Or this mod (when fixed).

Stop trying to impose you view that all games need to be so damn super realistic on the rest of us. It is getting really old.

jefferyharrell

Quote from: Boston on August 05, 2016, 07:01:05 PM
I mean, where did the thrumbo get shot?

Okay, valid point, but there's still the playability side of things to consider. Regardless of whether it's realistic, if there's some aspect of the game that boils down to "Do this simple thing and you will never lose" then that's an area in which the game can stand to be improved a little. It's less about making the game challenging (i.e., harder) than it is about making it interesting, i.e. not exactly the same in every situation.

Take hunting more generally for example. One way in which hunting is made interesting is the fact that you don't always have something to hunt! Wildlife comes and goes with the season. But one opportunity for improvement lies, in my opinion, in the fact that your pawns can walk right up to an elk and blast it at point-blank range right between the eyes. Hunting would be more interesting if animals avoided pawns. Maybe tie it to the animal skill; the higher a pawn's animal skill the closer it can get to wildlife before they bolt. A pawn with high animal skill and high melee skill can be an effective hunter by clubbing wildlife to death. Contrariwise, a hunter with high shooting skill can kill wildlife from range ... though the first shot will cause all the surviving critters to scatter, meaning you can't just wipe out whole herds in one go.

This is all pretty far off topic for the thread, but I'm just trying to illustrate my point: I think realism is awesome, I really do. But I think it has to be balanced against an interesting and fun game. "This is realistic" isn't a trump card. If it's realistic and tedious or whatever, then I think tedious outweighs realistic.

Just my two cents, obviously. I'm just a player.

Boston

Shooting a thrumbo and killing it with one shot isn't "simple", though. Your shooter was lucky.

Shooting a thrumbo with a shotgun and hitting it in the lungs, heart and spine (effectively killing it in one shot) is far different from shooting it in the stomach, filling its guts with buckshot, which pisses it off and causes it to wipe your colony. Which is more likely?

Shooting things in vital areas should kill them. I don't care what it is.

I have also felt that about hunting and animals for a long time. Making animals just plain run away from your hunters would make hunting 1) harder, so you don't have multiple freezers full of meat after 3 days, 2) more interesting, and 3) more realistic.

Vek17

Quote from: Boston on August 05, 2016, 07:36:19 PM
Shooting things in vital areas should kill them. I don't care what it is.

While that is true I don't think animals as a whole are properly balanced with this mod (both in terms of part hit chances and health and general durability) but that is a bit outside of the scope of this mod and would limit compatibility with other mods that mess with animals. I am thinking about playing with it a bit to get something I like better once CR14 gets in a more stable state for my own gameplay though.

Goldenpotatoes

The act of 1-shotting any pawn in this game with this mod is a matter of luck. Hit chances are if anything actually more sane with CR as it takes into effect an altitude variable for potential hit spots. In vanilla, a colonist behind a sandbag can be hit in the foot. In CR, the same colonist will more than likely be hit the exposed upper-body with the altitude variable in play.

If you don't like getting your vital organs 1-2 shot by higher caliber rounds, put some effort into building armor so early-mid game raids with the weaker ballistics are less likely to actually penetrate your armor past relying on generic clothes to save you from bullets.

pez5150

Is there any chance of getting an ammo free version of this?

Reviire

Quote from: pez5150 on August 05, 2016, 09:46:51 PM
Is there any chance of getting an ammo free version of this?
It's pretty easy to do. In Weapon_Guns.xml under Mods/Combat Realism/Thingdefs remove <ammoset>Somebullets</ammoset> i think it was

Turrets are a whole different story, you need to remove the entire ammo class thing for each turret.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Sarelth

I like the ammo, but where do I make more. I thought it said the machining bench, but there is no ammo there. Not being able to reload is a little disappointing when the raider come running. lol

Reviire

Quote from: Sarelth on August 05, 2016, 11:55:37 PM
I like the ammo, but where do I make more. I thought it said the machining bench, but there is no ammo there. Not being able to reload is a little disappointing when the raider come running. lol
Might need more research.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Vek17

Quote from: Sarelth on August 05, 2016, 11:55:37 PM

Ammo is crafted at a loading bench which has the same tech requirements as the machining table.

Sarelth

Never found a loading bench, but I probably was just bug eyed from my day. Will look again later when I play again. Must take a break from computer. Maybe I will even where my glasses then. lol

Goo Poni

How do you remove the loadout generator? Removing <ammoset> from guns results in the loadout generator throwing errors every bloody tick and it makes playing games at 3x speed impossible.

skyarkhangel