[MOD] (Alpha 7) Atomic Power

Started by Psyckosama, March 02, 2014, 12:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psyckosama

So, anyone tried this yet and if so, what do you think?

Vas

Quote from: Psyckosama on March 03, 2014, 03:44:39 PM

I suppose I can start a new colony and give it a test run.  :P  After I fix my mod that I haven't uploaded here yet.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Psyckosama

Quote from: Vas on March 03, 2014, 06:24:01 PM

I suppose I can start a new colony and give it a test run.  :P  After I fix my mod that I haven't uploaded here yet.

It'll be actually easier if you start up an established colony from a manual save and then go from there as this is intended to be a rather late game item.

Vas

Quote from: Psyckosama on March 03, 2014, 07:01:02 PM
Quote from: Vas on March 03, 2014, 06:24:01 PM

It'll be actually easier if you start up an established colony from a manual save and then go from there as this is intended to be a rather late game item.

That wasn't that great.  xD  I only tried out the explosion bit.
The initial explosion was caused by me throwing grenades at it, the 11 colonists surrounding it trying to put out fires and repair it, took 75ish damage each, but no one died.  A nuclear reactor explodes and the people practically humping it, don't die?  Come on.  :P
The area damage was very minimal.  It needs to have way higher area damage.  I guess that might not be possible.  But it definitely should be killing everyone near it or anyone who can pretty much see it.  :P

I'll try it out more later though.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Psyckosama

Quote from: Vas on March 03, 2014, 08:46:54 PM
The initial explosion was caused by me throwing grenades at it, the 11 colonists surrounding it trying to put out fires and repair it, took 75ish damage each, but no one died.  A nuclear reactor explodes and the people practically humping it, don't die?  Come on.  :P
The area damage was very minimal.  It needs to have way higher area damage.  I guess that might not be possible.  But it definitely should be killing everyone near it or anyone who can pretty much see it.  :P

It's not possible at the moment. Believe me, I looked into it for that very same reason.

Vas

Quote from: Psyckosama on March 03, 2014, 09:45:27 PM

It's not possible at the moment. Believe me, I looked into it for that very same reason.

It's not possible to make it do enough damage to kill every colonist in the surrounding area?  Cause turrets exploding do quite a large bit of damage, killing anyone near them.  I mean I had like 5 colonists humping out fires that were directly on the reactor that exploded, I think they'd pretty much be dead.  :P  They all just walk away and go "Huh, that fire was intense, oh well.  Lets clean up some dust now."

Psyckosama

Quote from: Vas on March 03, 2014, 09:53:26 PM
Quote from: Psyckosama on March 03, 2014, 09:45:27 PM

It's not possible to make it do enough damage to kill every colonist in the surrounding area?  Cause turrets exploding do quite a large bit of damage, killing anyone near them.  I mean I had like 5 colonists humping out fires that were directly on the reactor that exploded, I think they'd pretty much be dead.  :P  They all just walk away and go "Huh, that fire was intense, oh well.  Lets clean up some dust now."

I copied the explosive code for the reactor from the entry for the turret.... the only change was to massively boost the radius. There isn't a toggle that lets you change the amount of damage. If there was, then believe me, this would not be an issue and I'd have it do something like ten thousand damage.

deadbeat88

I have tried your earlier version. So far it hasnt exploded and blew my colony into smithereens.

like you said, its basically steam generator.... a very expensive one. You can make it consume uranium by applying same mechanics used in nutrient dispenser.

I was thinking of:
- there will be one person operating the reactor(like stonecutter,cooker)
- will only work when someone operates it
- to balance it, it gives a huge amount of power(about 10K?), so you should make huge-capacity batteries (1K cap)
- in an event of explosion, the operator will obviously die
-  (are we able to create new debris?), if so make nuke waste when explosion happens
- wastes can be renew using converter, i guess, like stonecutter and [mod]blacksmith

summary of possible new items:
-  debris, nuclear waste
-  large capacity battery
-  waste converter

what do you think?
Whatever you do, don't do it!

Vas

Quote from: deadbeat88 on March 04, 2014, 06:10:29 AM
I have tried your earlier version. So far it hasnt exploded and blew my colony into smithereens.

like you said, its basically steam generator.... a very expensive one. You can make it consume uranium by applying same mechanics used in nutrient dispenser.

I was thinking of:
- there will be one person operating the reactor(like stonecutter,cooker)
- will only work when someone operates it
- to balance it, it gives a huge amount of power(about 10K?), so you should make huge-capacity batteries (1K cap)
- in an event of explosion, the operator will obviously die
-  (are we able to create new debris?), if so make nuke waste when explosion happens
- wastes can be renew using converter, i guess, like stonecutter and [mod]blacksmith

1. You do realize, that it takes 30 years to use up uranium fuel.  Right?  Why would we need to ever replace it once the reactor is built?  Unless you reach day 10958, I don't think replacing the fuel is required.  This may be inaccurate, I remember researching nuclear fuel for space ship purposes but forgot a lot.  I do know it has a minimum of several years usage.

2. Having someone forced to operate it might not work out, because they may get stuck there and go mental from lack of sleep or food.  On top of which, they often all tend to go to bed at night and you can't prioritize work shifts on an item like that.  You'd have to use research table code basically to get them to go there.  Always on is good.

3. In the event of an explosion, everything within 10 miles is going to be leveled, at least, when the devs release an update that would let you do something like that with the code, currently you can't.

4. What would you convert nuclear waste into?  It's toxic radioactive containment water, it's useless.  It needs to be stored somewhere safe for 30+ years till the radioactivity settles.  Our oceans are now radioactive for the next 30 years thanks to those morons who built the reactors in Japan.  A group of moron Americans built those reactors in a clearly bad spot and weakened the area even.  Then Japan took to long decommissioning those reactors when they had new ones built on better more stable ground.  So, don't go eating sea food for 30+ years.  Or anything that grows in the west coast of America.  Or anything that comes from there.  :P  Just an example of how bad nuclear waste is and how we can't do anything about it.  So converting waste from an exploded reactor would be pointless, there is nothing you can convert it into.  It's just a deadly harmful radioactive liquid till it can lose all that built up energy.

shayesllc

Sorry, normally I don't get involved with argumentative people.. but who the heck is this Vas guy?

http://www.nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
A handy tool concerning surface burst nuclear WEAPONS (Which actually trigger an explosive nuclear reaction, instead of a partial- or total-core meltdown), notice that even an air-burst of the Tsar Bomba would cause overpressurization (boom) to a mile or two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_meltdown
The mechanics of a meltdown. Notice that a meltdown doesn't cause a 'BIG FKN EXPLOSION', it can cause a small scale explosion, but the primary danger is radiation fallout.  How about accidents that don't kaboom, but have realistic effects such as nothing will grow within X radius of the accident, or all colonists entering the area receive damage and a lasting happiness and hunger modifier to reflect radiation sickness / inability to hold down food?

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Nuclear-Fuel-Cycle/Conversion-Enrichment-and-Fabrication/Fuel-Fabrication/
The process by which spent nuclear fuel can be recycled and enriched into weapons- or power-grade fuel rods.  It's just not cheap and typically not practical when fresh-from-the-source fuel is available. 

Also, he's mentioned about thirteen times so far that it produces MORE power than a steam vent.  Read, re-read, read again.. only then, speak.  ;)

deadbeat88

Quote from: Vas on March 04, 2014, 11:49:51 AM

Really? You're taking it WAY too serious, smartypants. I only said that as a suggestion to balancing the reactor. And by the way, I NEVER said that the operator will have to be there 24/7. I explicitly said that it should work SIMILAR to stonecutter or cooker(which by the way produces food that expires in  days).

wastes are converted into uranium again, in lesser quantity ofc.

if you going to talk real stuff, then there WOULDNT BE super-intelligent people in that planet building nuclear reactors when they can build spacecraft instead. Stick to the game topic!

Vas

Quote from: shayesllc on March 05, 2014, 09:59:51 AM
Sorry, normally I don't get involved with argumentative people.. but who the heck is this Vas guy?

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Nuclear-Fuel-Cycle/Conversion-Enrichment-and-Fabrication/Fuel-Fabrication/
The process by which spent nuclear fuel can be recycled and enriched into weapons- or power-grade fuel rods.  It's just not cheap and typically not practical when fresh-from-the-source fuel is available. 

Also, he's mentioned about thirteen times so far that it produces MORE power than a steam vent.  Read, re-read, read again.. only then, speak.  ;)

Ok, so it won't cause a huge boom, other than the one seen in Japan, though that was up, and not out so it had minimal damage I suppose.  I wanted the large boom, because right now there is no way to simulate radiated location for 10-30 game years.

I also didn't say in my last post that it was less powerful, I said that it should be more powerful than it is right now, only if we can get the proper drawbacks in place.  Which we can't so I suppose it's fine for now.  Although it is still pretty over powered without the ability to harm your colonists or your land scape.

And I don't think weapons grade nukes will matter in this, maybe if you can make nukes with them and only sell them, but not use them.  :P  Or just "weapons grade plutonium" as an item that you can trade to the black market dealers (if we add a black market trader).  The re-enrichment process of old fuel rods though will be good for making it last longer, but still.  It will last long enough to not need a new uranium fuel source for a very long time, so making it so you have to add more uranium to keep it going, would be a bit useless.  :P

Architect

Guys calm down :P Vas wants to see a realistic approach to the mod, and is applying his knowledge to it. You guys obviously don;t want quite as much of a realistic approach, but a balanced in game one. You don't need to clash, just agree to disagree, I'm sure Vas just meant what he said as something to take into consideration, not a demand on the mod makers half. XD
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Psyckosama

I've chosen to go with a reactor that doesn't actively burn uranium. Instead you build it with stone and uranium as part of it. I'm tempted to change the sale cost of Uranium though so it's extremely expensive silver wise. It will allow me to lower other costs a bit.

Also, the explosion that it uses, while I'd like to make it stronger, the intent is for it to be something that will make you fear a poorly placed overload or regret putting it somewhere out in the open, not a Game Ender.

deadbeat88

Quote from: Psyckosama on March 06, 2014, 02:41:18 PM
I've chosen to go with a reactor that doesn't actively burn uranium. Instead you build it with stone and uranium as part of it. I'm tempted to change the sale cost of Uranium though so it's extremely expensive silver wise. It will allow me to lower other costs a bit.

The thing is, it shouldnt cost cheap. I would say its reliance to another source makes it unique with other power mods. So far we havent had any power plants that exceeds 5K in producing electricity. Making your Atomic PP a one-off construction-maintenance would make it redundant. I, for one, would like to see a VERY IMPORTANT machine to be maintained by my colonist. That way, I would cherish my base more... instead of putting power plants away from based and let it rot until it explodes.

This way would make the gameplay more complicated as well by choosing whether to build the PP near the base area but prone to fatal casualties or further away sacrificing time and energy of the operator.