[857] Pawn spawned in corrupted state - causes crashes, missing pawns

Started by savaze, July 07, 2015, 07:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savaze

The game keeps crashing for me and when I reload the save, or as close as I can get with the autosave, I'm getting 5 errors showing the on the debug log. If I let the game run a while longer it'll crash to desktop again. This particular save seems ruined. I've retried it four times now with the same results each time. I keep having problems with attaching the save, so here's a link to my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jbnl9w79fbkusv0/AAAVKMPxiOraPi_3YX-WEKwBa?dl=0

I'm also running into a problem when pirate merchants show up. If I talk to them all my prisoner options for each prisoner is reset. It happens about 50% of the time.

Adé

Hey there,

I have the same problem here. I'm playing without any mod.

In my first games, I died pretty fast, but now I survived for more than 2 years. I have a good base and stuff, and I had some crashes, not a lot, but it was ok, I just had to reload the game.
Now everytime I reload, even with a previous save, it crashes everytime in the next 2 minutes.

I hear the sound of a merchant or a random event before the crash. So I tried to disconnect my communications but it doesn't work, the game still crashes...

Can you help me?

Tynan

The temp solution is to open the savegame in a text editor, search for Tater, and delete the entire Thing starting with <thing Class="Pawn"> and ending with </thing>.

I'm working on doing a true fix.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

Wow, ok, this looks like a kind of scary bug.

It looks like Tater, a town councilman, is on the lower left side of the map in a totally invalid state. He's not dead, but his <stanceTracker> and some other components of him are missing. I have no idea how this would occur.

What should have happened is that a log was written when he was spawned. However, this isn't the log you posted - that's from the attempt to load the savegame. But the bug isn't with loading, it's with the code that created Tater wrong in the first place.

Can anyone provide any log or info on how this invalid pawn came to be?

Tynan

Tynan

Things that seem wrong:

stances is null
mindState is null
curJob and driver are null
carryHands is null
needs is null

He's not dead.
He doesn't have enough health problems to be dead.
Yet he's missing all the components that you'd miss if you were dead.
I suspect he was "killed" at some point during generation.

Tynan

So far I've managed to detect and mitigate the bug by destroying corrupted pawns. But I haven't found the root cause.

savaze

Sorry for the wrong log file, I realized I hadn't made it available a week or so after I posted and attached what I had at the time. Is there any way I can reproduce the correct one for you?

Tynan

Quote from: savaze on July 22, 2015, 03:53:13 PM
Is there any way I can reproduce the correct one for you?

Not without a lot of effort and experimentation. It seems to be a random-low probability bug. Anyway I just released A11c with the mitigation to this, check the blog. Your saves will now work again.