Bio-engineering?

Started by TrashMan, October 24, 2014, 06:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrashMan

We already know that in-setting there are worlds where bio-tech is incredibly advanced (IIRC, it even said some are barely recognizable as human).

And we know humans have a tendancy to tinker with everything.. DNA will be no exception. Heck, even today we have people who undergo plastic surgery to look more like klingons or cats! (google cat man and recoil in horror!)
So we have bionic enhancments/replacements.
What about biological modifications?

The implications of bio-technolgoy of this level are staggering. From simple tweaks to more extreeme changes that can make the recipient almost different species. Seriously, imagination is the limit.

Realistically speaking, you would have all kinds of application of this - from more..."based" ones (More length? BAH! Why have just one pecker?), to cosmetic ones (normally impossible body/hair colors, etc..) to actually more functional ones (better sight, hearing. A prehensile tail? Spitting venom? Enhanced endurance? More efficient digestive tract? Etc..)

you guys think something could be done with this?

Wex

Yes, I know. It's a pencil and paper RPG. But it's also a nice sourcebook. Have a look.
http://anticheese.pojpo.com/Old/RPG/GURPS/%5B01-0103%5D%20Bio-Tech.pdf
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

BinaryBlackhole

1st tier basic biology manufacture medicine and vaccinations. 2nd tier organ printing requires high crafting skill and human meat, skin patches quickly removes scratches and bruises can be applied by the person. 3rd tier basic genetic engineering minor improvements some risks eg. 4th tier symbiotes use food to rapidly heal people, advanced medical beds and advanced genetic engineering less risks more options. this is my layout for the research into bioengineering.

Wex

5th tier could be trans specie implants (tiger's claws, eagle eyes, poison glands, heck, even a giant scorpion tail) 6th tier would be totally new organs (adrenal sacks - berserker's organ -, chitin dermal armor, sonar - for no darkness penality -, electric organ - to shock people in melee - and so on)
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

TrashMan

"They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines such that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity. They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear."
--The Emperor of Mankind.

Wex

Quote from: TrashMan on October 25, 2014, 10:08:29 AM
"They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines such that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity. They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear."
--The Emperor of Mankind.
Well, why not? The neck IS a useless weak spot; with a bigger chest, redundant organs can find place (timelord anyone?); also, if someone GROWS PEOPLE in vat chambers, to make them warrior, might as well make them strong and resillient. It's only common sense.
    Harlan Ellison

TrashMan

I really mean this. One could have various usefull bio-mods.
Like enhanced regeneration.
Poison spitting.
Night vision.
Extra set of arms (carry more, work faster, but tire faster)

Better adapatation to the current enviroment (the planet you came from and the one you are now might have a different conditions)
Modified lungs to better work with the current atmospheric conditions
Modified skeletal structure for high-G worlds
etc, etc..