Anybody else decentralize power?

Started by baronskippy, November 07, 2013, 01:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baronskippy

I hate shortages that take my power with a passion, anybody else  setup subsystems? Example would be my LLOD (Last Line of Defense) I'll post a pic later but it's basically a fallback point that's battery power only i.e after batteries for the section are at full charge it's cup off and turned off from the main base only to be activated in cases of emergency?

Test's have shown no predilection to catastrophic power shortages as of yet.

Teiwaz

My most recent base had an entirely separate electrical system for just the defenses. That way, if I ended up overtaxing my electrical system from adding a new building, the lights and doors would shut down but my turrets would stay operational. The defenses also got the geothermal power station, whereas the other things relied mostly on solar. That way I could be sure that my colonists wouldn't run down the batteries on the turrets during an eclipse or something.

Pendryn

This... is a really good idea. I will be implementing this immediately.
Reticulating all the splines.

Dragula

I have a redundancy system. Everything is powered by my geo-thermal, solararray and batterypacks. All systems have powerlines from all 3 sources where possible.

Pendryn

Yeah, but I think the idea here is to have separate power entirely, such as separate solar panels, separate batteries and separate conduits. Therefore you can freely add to your base and power-draw without ever needing to consider if your going to drain your cells. I wonder if doing this would also negate the hideous impact a short circuit can have when it drains all your batteries. Would it just dump all batteries across the board because it is a blanket event, or would the AI smartly drain just from the connected circuits, leaving the others intact and fully charged.

This is your last warning, the colors are abrupt and annoying - Nystrom
Reticulating all the splines.

deadbeat88

Be careful, though. Those batteries are still vulnerable to short-circuit(and explosion).

Ive been doing that for a long time now.

Tip:
- dont put batteries adjacent to a wall, leave a space.
- connect batteries with more than 1 connector, having more is to minimize short-circuit incidents.
- turn off turrets when not needed, it will help you charge batteries fast.
Whatever you do, don't do it!

EarthyTurtle

Late game I've been charging batteries and then disconnecting them from the power grid. Then if something does happen or I'm in dire need of more power I just plug them back in.

Dragula

I have my battery-room sectioned inside the mountain so an explosion will kill 15 batteries max. Adding more conduits in my battery-room might be smart.
Do exploding batteries damage the rock walls?

Closing off batteries, or some of them, when charged sounds like a good plan. Does anyone know if they behave like real batteries, slowly draining when unused?

Galileus

Now, that's a nice thought there. We now need a power switch that can be turned on/off manually or even (later down the research road) automatic grid disconnector!

Dragula

Manual circuitbreaker would be cool and an automated backup switch be even cooler.

Sky_walker

Cave, small rooms, 2 or 3 batteries per room in different sections of the base. Alternative would be 1 battery behind the wall in generic rooms spread around the base (to minimalize risks)
Self-sustaining colony with hydroponic glasshouses.

Gryff

Quote from: Galileus on November 07, 2013, 06:43:44 AM
Now, that's a nice thought there. We now need a power switch that can be turned on/off manually or even (later down the research road) automatic grid disconnector!

A one way power conduit would be useful for this, so power can go in to charge the batteries, but power only goes out to the turrets.

sparda666

after a map where I had power surges every 5 minutes, I started to build arrays that I could disconnect to save batteries for later days. Here is a shot from a new map I started. Each column of batteries can be connected or disconnected with a power conduit. I connect each column to charge them up, and once they are full I disconnect them

also, it would be great to have walls that didnt work as conduits. that way we could have insulated walls that dont connect battery arrays to make it easier to decentralize power - note that Im using rock walls here to separate the batteries

Mansen

Eventually - yes. I'll definitely try to have several battery rooms in case an explosion cuts off a circuit path or something.

Although I don't really try to make power production in multiple places intentionally - I'll just put several circuit paths around the base so that they can survive a knockout somewhere.