Do we have a term for people originating or focused on Rimworlds?

Started by Call me Arty, August 21, 2018, 01:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

I've been writing suggestions for a while and dipped my toe into a bit of fiction for the universe, and I was wondering if there was a term for Rimworld natives or those that live on it. For example, I'm an Earthling-American, specifically a Washingtonian with lots of Polish/German blood. . . you dig? It's a dumb little detail, but it's just one of those things that's getting to me, like seeing some a table set in a show or game where there's food in a bowl and no utensils, or trying to figure out where the asshole is on some of the weirder critters in the world or fiction.

I got nothing good when it comes to trying to find my own term. Rimman, Rimworldian, Rimmish, Rimling, they all sound like creatures from some 50's movie. I currently just default to "-of the Rim".
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Kirby23590

It's simple i think people who are born and live in rimworlds they are called Rimworlders. Yeah that's all i got. :-X

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

zizard

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Kirby23590 on August 21, 2018, 01:53:58 PM
It's simple i think people who are born and live in rimworlds they are called Rimworlders. Yeah that's all i got. :-X

That is my guess/opinion as well.

Call me Arty

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on August 21, 2018, 02:19:31 PM

No problem with it, I just don't know any real-life equivalent, like Chinaer, or Russier, or anything similar. Closest I know are things in movies and games, like Witchers, White Walkers, "Outsiders", etc.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Call me Arty

Quote from: zizard on August 21, 2018, 02:14:21 PM
Rimmer

As double-entendre invoking as that sounds, I could totally picture somebody on some planet that's actually got civilizations saying that in a bar when some scarred dude covered in bionics walks in. "Ah, you one o' dem 'Rimmer' types, aren'tcha?"

5thHorseman

Quote from: Call me Arty on August 21, 2018, 09:46:52 PM
Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on August 21, 2018, 02:19:31 PM

No problem with it, I just don't know any real-life equivalent, like Chinaer, or Russier, or anything similar.

Russia and China are proper nouns. This is more like "islander" which is a thing.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Call me Arty

Quote from: 5thHorseman on August 21, 2018, 10:05:45 PM
Russia and China are proper nouns. This is more like "islander" which is a thing.

Mainlander, Westerner, damn, I guess you got me on that. I just got too caught up with '-er' following verbs. Y'know, a hunter being one-who-hunts, game being one-who-games, one-who-Rimworlds just seemed off in my mind.

Dargaron

Does the name need to include the term "Rimworld"? Because it would be kind of hilarious if the actual in-universe name for people on/from a Rimworld was ""Pawns."

Also, how about Rim-folks? Like City-folks, but from the Rim.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Dargaron on August 21, 2018, 11:25:44 PM
Does the name need to include the term "Rimworld"? Because it would be kind of hilarious if the actual in-universe name for people on/from a Rimworld was ""Pawns."

Also, how about Rim-folks? Like City-folks, but from the Rim.

"Poor bastards."

I feel like anybody who got back from the Rim might get called that, though I figure there aren't enough people doing that to even establish a term for them. I'm saying that a maximum of like, twenty pawns ever made it back to anyplace that had enough sway to call them Rim-folk. "All these Rim-folk crashing into our parks in spaceships made from recycled slag, putting their peg-legs through our flowers and scaring the children with things like 'I only have half my organs left' and 'we had to eat my best friend when we ran out of food and bandages for the winter' and 'we had to do it without a table'. So damn entitled!"

Blato

Quote from: Call me Arty on August 21, 2018, 09:49:32 PM
Quote from: zizard on August 21, 2018, 02:14:21 PM
Rimmer

As double-entendre invoking as that sounds, I could totally picture somebody on some planet that's actually got civilizations saying that in a bar when some scarred dude covered in bionics walks in. "Ah, you one o' dem 'Rimmer' types, aren'tcha?"

This made me crack a laugh, as the first thing that popped to mind is Rimmer from the show Red Dwarf.

scorlew

Quote from: Call me Arty on August 21, 2018, 01:35:50 PM

. . . and I was wondering if there was a term for Rimworld natives or those that live on it.

My preferred demonym:  Injuns, or the soon-to-be late injuns.
Send lawyers, guns and money. 
                           -WZ

Bolgfred

Quote from: Call me Arty on August 21, 2018, 01:35:50 PM
...I was wondering if there was a term for Rimworld natives or those that live on it. ...
The word your are looking for is 'Muffalo'  - we are the Muffalos.

For anyone who has no respect for white fuzzy fur, grow a heart ... I mean, listen closely:
The term Rimworld implicates that it's a world on a rim. Being a description for any Planet far away from anything else. This knowledge in mind, I think Sir Jonas Tynan did already define the name for the native species as 'Outlanders'.

Anyway, when I look at my ID Card I read "Pawn", dunno what that has to mean.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Snafu_RW

Quote from: Blato on August 22, 2018, 06:09:35 AM

This made me crack a laugh, as the first thing that popped to mind is Rimmer from the show Red Dwarf.
I was just about to add "Yeah, 'cause they must be idiots to land on a planet with so many (varied) hostiles, not knowing how to make basic stuff", then I came back to Rim-verse lore & remembered that most of the 'basic stuff' has been redone in the tech tree..

Still a funny link tho.. :)
Dom 8-)