WOOT WOOT its out!!! (alpha 7 disscusion)

Started by Fruit loops, October 01, 2014, 02:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psyckosama

Quote from: Robovski on October 01, 2014, 04:04:14 PM
Just started in the new biome. Glad to hear the UI for materials has been addressed already for the next build.

What have I found out:

Cobras are fair eatin', as are boars and turtles and the skins are automatically harvested. I was turtleshell helmets Tynan!
Wood walls no longer transmit power
A raider with a knife will run at 3 armed men with guns (even if they are awful shots). But then the raider was a navy scientist who is incapable of intellectual...

turtleshell helmets... GREAT for tribals! :D

Matthiasagreen

Just started in the new biome. Glad to hear the UI for materials has been addressed already for the next build.

What have I found out:

Cobras are fair eatin', as are boars and turtles and the skins are automatically harvested. I was turtleshell helmets Tynan!
A raider with a knife will run at 3 armed men with guns (even if they are awful shots). But then the raider was a navy scientist who is incapable of intellectual...

Regular wood walls do not transmit power, but the wood power conduit wall does.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Robovski

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on October 01, 2014, 04:21:00 PM

What have I found out:

Regular wood walls do not transmit power, but the wood power conduit wall does.

Don't I feel like a dope. At least the proper shelter has yet to be built, not just the temporary/place the prisoners go later.

Dieform

Quote from: Fruit loops on October 01, 2014, 02:14:59 PM
diseases

I had a randomly generated colonist named Coffey; day 4 - she just got mild plague.

realitybend

Is there really a speed penalty for grass like is mentioned in the Alpha7 video?

jack020

don't like unrealistic walls and clothing.. kills the immersiveness for me

also im not pleased with diseases.. i just wanna fight waves of enemies

so im nerfing diseases to 0

Mods\Core\Defs\IncidentDefs\DiseaseIncidents.xml

///
-<diseaseVictimFractionRange>

<min>0.1</min>
<max>0.15</max>
\\\

if that's it

also diseases under : Mods\Core\Defs\BiomeDefs\BiomesBase.xml

apperently

BTW what this game really needs imo is to be able to put specific parts of the game on or off, some ppl might not like the changes AT ALL

keylocke

Quote from: jack020 on October 01, 2014, 05:59:26 PM
don't like unrealistic walls and clothing.. kills the immersiveness for me

now that you mention it, i suddenly realized that i build almost everything made of stone.. even my beds..

also im not pleased with diseases.. i just wanna fight waves of enemies

so im nerfing diseases to 0

as for diseases, i actually don't mind it that much. it's just that the event is a bit too random, and there doesn't seem to be ways to prevent it.

but the infection from injuries makes sense. i liked that part.

BTW what this game really needs imo is to be able to put specific parts of the game on or off, some ppl might not like the changes AT ALL

agreed.

i liked the way how Don't Starve did it. it's so easy to click on the map generation options to choose which things are active/inactive and being able to adjust each settings.

Tarenty

It's alpha 7 guys, pretty early for a whole lot of configuration.  Mods will solve everything you need for now but I think Tynan and the crew's time is better spent on content, balance, and bugs atm :)

Robovski

Quote from: realitybend on October 01, 2014, 05:51:35 PM
Is there really a speed penalty for grass like is mentioned in the Alpha7 video?

Apparently, it certainly feels that way to me. Here's some gameplay from the new build in a tropical environment if you want to see for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DboWYvyFMz0

Girlinhat

Anyone else having trouble with surgery?  I can't seem to get my guys to perform it, ever.

Nasikabatrachus

Quote from: Girlinhat on October 02, 2014, 01:40:18 AM
Anyone else having trouble with surgery?  I can't seem to get my guys to perform it, ever.

Make sure you have a bed set to medical mode available.

Girlinhat

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on October 02, 2014, 01:50:35 AM

What happens exactly, is that I order a guy to have his eye amputated for cataracs, so he walks into the hospital, climbs over the pile of medicine, slips past the pile of bionic eyes, says hello to the three doctors, and then cozies up in one of the medical beds to go to sleep.  Then he stays there.

Varnhagen

Just finished my first A7 game. Man, what a change of pace! Couple months in, my colony of 4 is struck with plague. Nurse Yul and Doc Ulyana struggle with who gets to stay in bet longer while a third one is suffering the very same affliction. Only one left standing is a very delicate flower (too smart) who's great at cooking and crafting and he decides to pack up and leave. Three months in, one left and two are dead. Last one is sure to follow soon.

I like the new diseases and the new traits. I especially like that colonists can gain negative moods from conversations now. Overall the early game survival aspect seems to be a tad more challenging - likey!

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: Girlinhat on October 02, 2014, 01:56:17 AM
Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on October 02, 2014, 01:50:35 AM

What happens exactly, is that I order a guy to have his eye amputated for cataracs, so he walks into the hospital, climbs over the pile of medicine, slips past the pile of bionic eyes, says hello to the three doctors, and then cozies up in one of the medical beds to go to sleep.  Then he stays there.

He did exactly what he was supposed to do. The next step would be for one of the doctors to grab some medicine, put it by the bed, grab the item you set to install (make sure its not just amuptate) and do the surgery. If that isn't happening, make sure doctoring is a priority and (maybe) that the bed doesnt have the long side against a wall. Not sure what else can do it.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

ShootyFace

The game is definitely more tense, and it's shaken up my routine significantly. Cannot say I'm a fan of the disease mechanic, it's more annoying than fun, almost as cheap as the psychic drone events. The new trade interface and traders are great, and I love all the new options otherwise.

I've seen some things that have made me excited to play more. You can equip a log as a melee weapon, which had me laughing when I discovered it. I also noticed that Scyther arm blades (?) are considered a body part, can't wait to get some and try and bolt them onto a colonist. A trader I had come through had some sort of fist blade melee weapon that was obviously Wolverine inspired.

All in all, cool update. I just wish the diseases were toned down and that the critters we had running around weren't so 'earthly'. Cobras in space, why not give them some sort of sci-fi name? We got Muffalo and from there on it's been pretty much standard fare.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning