Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

I use the planning tool to mark weapon ranges.

Also setting all your pawns to no medicine, and slapping down a few sleeping spots outside make a perfect field hospital. It also keeps your Hospital clean :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

b0rsuk

New drug policy: Animal Doper (I haven't tested it yet).
Go Juice - every day - only if mood below 1% - only if joy below 1% - take into inventory.

The point is to abuse the drug policy system to abuse your war beasts more effectively. As soon as a raid comes, draft the animal doper where you will want to defend. Wait until animals gather then administer Go Juice to them. Watch as your cougars and panthers run at mach 8 (over 8 speed actually).

Jibbles

You can place stools by the stove  to greatly reduce time needed for cooking meals. See pic. This setup makes it so the chef doesn't have to move at all when cooking.. I'm using a rim fridge for meat on this one.  Place stockpiles over the stools, one for meat, and one for vegetables. Meat and veg stock are set to critical.  Set meals to drop on floor.  The meals will drop right behind the chef. Create a meal stockpile behind chef and set to low priority so pawns  can carry them to the freezer. The stockpile for meals is only necessary if you don't want them to cook food forever.

You can forbid objects before they're built for base planning. That example is also in the pic.

This one is sort of risky to use, or can be.  It's more fun than being effective.
Make roof collapse on enemies.
-Construct one block of wooden wall
-Place some concrete around it in case of fire
-Zone/expand roof
-Remove Home zone from wood to prevent repairs
-Shoot it down till health is low.
-Shoot it when you want the roof to collapse.

jpinard

Quote from: travin on March 03, 2017, 03:27:20 PM
I once had a small colony where all but one pawn got the plague and then a dry lightning storm hit, fire everywhere and all wooden walls on the base. I found out the hard way you can successfully fight a fire with grenades.

How do you do that?

travin

Quote from: jpinard on March 03, 2017, 11:44:29 PMHow do you do that?
Similar to how you snuff out a fire with a pawn, you just target the ground at the edge of a fire and let her rip, changing the target as needed. I'm accustomed to fighting fires using drafted pawns and that experience helps. The Al's technique is rather sloppy.

It's certainly not efficient because grenade lobbing is not terribly accurate, but keep at it and you get the hang of the general area they are landing and their explosion radius that blows out the fire. It's also extremely noisey, but ya do what you have to do.

Trigon

Used to be in old alphas roof deconstruction was instant and pawns didn't have to do it. So you could fight fires in enclosed rooms by deleting the roof so the room doesn't become a giant oven.

I've had some luck having pawns deconstruct a wall segment and part of the roof in the latest edition, it's not fullproof but if you have to fight an enclosed fire without poppers you don't have a whole lot of options.

giannikampa

To easily kill thrumbos I use the artifact to down them one by one (only buy them for this purpose), if they don't die i set operation -> euthanize.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Shurp

When alphabeavers show up, don't worry about killing them all.  Just poke lots of holes in them.  Once they're all bleeding at a rate of 100% or greater you can head home and let them die and rot.  If you kill any in the process you can bring their bodies home as free meat.

And concentrate your fire at the ones in the back of the pack so your poor shooters plug the ones in front when they miss.

Oh, don't forget to save before you begin.  Alphabeaver revenge can easily wipe out a starting colony.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Shurp on March 06, 2017, 06:05:55 PM
When alphabeavers show up, don't worry about killing them all.  Just poke lots of holes in them.  Once they're all bleeding at a rate of 100% or greater you can head home and let them die and rot.  If you kill any in the process you can bring their bodies home as free meat.

This reminds me... The game encourages you to be sadistic. Animal doesn't start rotting if it's still alive. It may technically get an infection, but the meat is still edible. If for whatever reason you down several animals but don't need that many right now (manhunters,  alphabeavers...), kill a few and leave the rest incapacitated and suffering. It's like zero power fridge. Then come later and retrieve more dead animals.

AngleWyrm

Two-tile wide paved roads make great fire breaks. Also useful for surrounding geothermal power plants to prevent exposure to fire.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Euzio

Quote from: AngleWyrm on March 06, 2017, 10:44:33 PM
Two-tile wide paved roads make great fire breaks. Also useful for surrounding geothermal power plants to prevent exposure to fire.

Hmmm. From my experience, it probably has to be three or four tile wide paved to make fire breaks though. The embers seem capable of floating over two tile wide spaces and setting stuff on fire.

Shurp

Brick walls around a geothermal plant work even better.  Keeps out raiders too :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Aerial

Quote from: Shurp on March 07, 2017, 06:46:14 AM
Brick walls around a geothermal plant work even better.  Keeps out raiders too :)

Just remember to mark it as an unroofed zone before enclosing it in walls.

grinch

Use assign tab for avoid pawns wear tattered apparels (50% - 100%) when you have tailor and materials and for avoid ranged pawns wear shields after downed (very annoying).

Use airlocks (door-tile-door) and double walls in fridges. Its helps maintain temperature.

1x2 rooms are possible (awful room) and saves a lot of space for other things.

Take penoxyciline every 6 days for 90% inmunity (its expensive i only do that on my main pawns until i go rich).

Operate mechanoid for shutdown and scyter blades (nice money!). Take forever to kill a downed centipede (notice that after 100H at rimworld)

When you plant trees on a growing area pawns cut it at 100% grow (notice that after 200H at rimworld lol)

For alien ships (spoiler: borderline exploit) surround 3 with walls and 1 with explosives. Safe and not that expensive (i think this need a change for extra challenge)

Prostofile pawns are very good if you can afford bionic (+14 permanent mood boost).

Power your greenhouse solar lamps with two solar panels (not batteries for avoid zzzzzt). Its optimal because plants rest at night and saves a lot of energy in your main power grid.

use steam geysers for heating in cold biomes.

Limdood

For those looking for an easy map, set world temp to 1 colder than normal, and rainfall to 1 wetter than normal.

Around the equator will be patches of rainforest...the temperate forest near the rainforest will have year round growing, but milder summer temperatures than in normal or hot worlds (winter will still average 50F....you'll get a cold snap once every few years that may kill some plants, but otherwise you'll have year-round 100% growing.  no too-hot or too-cold temps)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When placing gun turrets in tighter groups within the radius that they might explode and take each other out in a mass fratricide, stick 1 stone wall segment between each turret and the explosion won't take out nearby turrets (set up turret/wall/turret/wall/turret etc.)