Mediworld Conversion

Started by Kemono, January 20, 2015, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemono

Hi!

I was wanting to play something fantasy/medieval like LotR but with base building and Rimworld's aesthetic/systems. As such the idea for "Mediworld Conversion" came about.

I need help, there's one thing the tutorials don't look at - how to disable existing assets, it only mentions adding in new assets.

I'd like to remove all guns except bows/thrown, turrets, power armour and power related buildings.

Anyone know how to disable stuff in the game so it doesn't spawn, NPCs don't spawn with it, buildings don't appear in the UI etc?

I plan to remove everything related to sci-fi and then add in stuff related to medieval/fantasy to make the game feel like you're playing a fantasy/medieval one. Mortars become catapults etc.

Also how do you edit current assets, like for example changing the sound the mortar makes when it fires, changing the art, building requirements etc.

I'm new to this but it can't be any harder than modding for L4D2, right?

Gaesatae

I don't want to discourage you, but what you are aiming for may take several months to accomplish.

As for your questions, I'm not certain I'll give you the correct answer, I haven't tried any of those things before. But if you are trying to make an overhaul mod you need to learn how to do your own research. Disassemble and look at the game code by yourself, most of the answers and examples may be there.

Try something easy at first to familiarize yourself with the code, like creating a catapult using the mortar as a template, or take a look at other mods code.

Good luck!

Kemono

Haha, several months. You expect too much from me or you're really simple.

What's easier than removing a bunch of stuff?

I intend to change and remove stuff, once that's done the conversion is done. As for adding races, the code for that is on the wiki. I've done my research, as I said there's no tutorial for disabling in-game assets from the exterior. This project could be done in a week if someone who knew how to edit would chime in.

The modding in this game is ridiculously simple, it's just this one area of disabling existing assets isn't documented at all.

Months, hah! Thanks for the laugh.

mipen

Wow, talk about ridiculously rude! Honestly you will get no help from anyone with an attitude like that >.>

Kemono

Rude? If you say so. Haha.

Doesn't look like I'll get much help anyway, so far I've had a guy try and put me down saying it'll take a long time, so don't bother and another guy who literally junk posted telling me no one's going to help.

Rikiki

I like your medieval idea conversion and we are not doubting of your abilities BUT you should effectively calm down or the community will not be willing to help you... ;)

To remove stuff from the core, you need to... remove them! ;D
WARNING!!! >:( As you are going to perform a total conversion (i.e. modify the core assets) I strongly recommend doing several backups of the RimWorld657Win\Mods\Core folder.

Here are the steps to remove the power armor for example:

• Go into the RimWorld657Win\Mods\Core\Defs\ThingDefs. Most of the items are defined here.
  • Open the Apparel_Various.xml file
  • Look for the line "<defName>Apparel_PowerArmor</defName>" (line 461). This is the definition of the power armor.
  • Just delete its definition (from "<ThingDef ParentName="ApparelBase">" line 460 to "</ThingDef>" line 516.

To modify an item's properties, just look into its definition. You will find many properties (like soundExplode or soundImpactAnticipate in Weapons_Artillery.xml).

Good luck and be a gentleman, it opens many doors! ;)

skullywag

To "remove" stuff just add a mod copy the defs from core you want to effect, open the defs and remove the line which lets traders carry it and remove its weapon category so raiders wont pick it and stockpiles wont show it. The starting weapons have been removed in the past by cooying the grass def and changing the name to the weapon in question. This means when the game starts it spawns a pistol but the def loaded last with the name of pistol is technically grass. It usually dies of pretty quickly and voila no more weapon ingame.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Gaesatae

Dude, I took five minutes to give you an honest opinion, nothing else.
I didn't know your scope, so I thought you might want to change a lot of things that will break immersion (which is very important for me) like DropPods, cryposleep caskets and event related stuff. And if I try to do it all by myself, I'm confident it would take me months.

I would love to play a medieval style mod in Rimworld. This game is beautiful.

Kemono

Quote from: Rikiki on January 21, 2015, 03:29:16 AM
I like your medieval idea conversion and we are not doubting of your abilities BUT you should effectively calm down or the community will not be willing to help you... ;)

To remove stuff from the core, you need to... remove them! ;D
WARNING!!! >:( As you are going to perform a total conversion (i.e. modify the core assets) I strongly recommend doing several backups of the RimWorld657Win\Mods\Core folder.

Here are the steps to remove the power armor for example:

• Go into the RimWorld657Win\Mods\Core\Defs\ThingDefs. Most of the items are defined here.
  • Open the Apparel_Various.xml file
  • Look for the line "<defName>Apparel_PowerArmor</defName>" (line 461). This is the definition of the power armor.
  • Just delete its definition (from "<ThingDef ParentName="ApparelBase">" line 460 to "</ThingDef>" line 516.

To modify an item's properties, just look into its definition. You will find many properties (like soundExplode or soundImpactAnticipate in Weapons_Artillery.xml).

Good luck and be a gentleman, it opens many doors! ;)

There we have it! Thanks man. I didn't even think of editing the data files, I thought I'd need to make an external .xml that disables stuff only when the mod is activated, which is where the confusion came into play about how I'd go about doing that.

Alright great, with this tidbit I'll give it a go. :)