[mod request/Idea] Dynamic Political Framework

Started by TheCritzHimself, March 02, 2019, 09:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCritzHimself

Hey everyone. I've had this idea in my head for the past 3 or so months and I don't know any other place to put this than here. Basically a dynamic  faction mod where the world is constantly changing and factions do more than just raid and trade with your little colony. here's the gist of it:

_WAR_________________________________________
-factions will wage war with each-other for conquest and other things
  -faction victory will be determined by three things
   ~faction size (number of bases)
   ~tech level
   ~and most importantly their faction leader's personality and skills
-conquered factions will not only be annexed but vassalized; the conquering faction will be able to use their units in raids

==Politicking====================================
-Factions will now have capital bases, which will be larger, stronger, and more populated than normal bases
-They will also have tax collectors, similar to the ones in the star wars mod, which will be like traders but will only collect a certain percentage of your colony's silver in return of not being raided if you're near their territory
-Leaders of factions will have greater influence, occasionally visiting your colony if near
-Faction leaders will also chat with each-other regularly like normal pawns, on the comms console, for bettering or worsening relations.

||Civil WAR|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
-Civil wars can be cause by a number of reasons;
  -Vassals wanting independence
  -Power hungry dudes who want to take over the faction
  -Cultist Uprisings (Call of Cthulhu)
  -other things

>>tl;dr and ending comments<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Mount and blade: RimWar

I gotta be honest, like i said at the beginning this will be a lot to do. And I know there's mods like Mehni's More faction interaction, but while Mehni's mod being really good, it's not enough for my grand strategy itch. If you read all the way down here and are planning to reply, thank you.

Canute

Did you try out
More faction interaction
A living world
- Pirates spread out and grow outposts
- Pirates can demand tribute if they're close by - destroy their outposts!
- Show off your skills at the yearly exposition. Maybe you'll do well and be invited to host next year?
- Roadworks. To strengthen ties and increase trade, your allies can build roads as a nice silver sink.
- Squatters! Someone found a use for an old deserted settlement.

Warring factions
- Unrest is brewing between two factions! Will you pick a side, stay neutral or profiteer?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35832.0

TheCritzHimself

Yeah, and like I said, It's a really good mod, and It's one of my personal favorites, but I was thinking more factions interacting with each-other  without the need of players to cause events.

AcetheSuperVillain

It would be interesting to see more of a living world, but I've seen Dwarf Fortress try to do this and there's two big problems to watch out for.  A: there isn't a lot going on that you'll actually see, things will be happening in far off lands that don't really matter to the player, and B: all those things happening will lag the crap out of the game.  If you're going to write a mod like this, you should try to think about working around those problems from the beginning.  And if you somehow got to RimWorld without experiencing Dwarf Fortress, definitely give that a shot, as it has loads of world interactions. 

Mehni

Quote from: TheCritzHimself on March 02, 2019, 09:40:45 PM
I gotta be honest, like i said at the beginning this will be a lot to do. And I know there's mods like Mehni's More faction interaction, but while Mehni's mod being really good, it's not enough for my grand strategy itch. If you read all the way down here and are planning to reply, thank you.

You're welcome, and thanks. I guess.

If I were to a bunch of political stuff to More Faction Interaction, people would (more or less rightfully) want to get actively involved in that. Let's discuss your suggestions. My points are influenced by my experiences making More Faction Interaction, since I'm always looking for good additions to that mod.

_WAR_________________________________________
-factions will wage war with each-other for conquest and other things
  -faction victory will be determined by three things
   ~faction size (number of bases)
   ~tech level
   ~and most importantly their faction leader's personality and skills
-conquered factions will not only be annexed but vassalized; the conquering faction will be able to use their units in raids

When I made the war event for MFI, I spent a lot of time deliberating what would determine the outcome of the war. Tech level is too deterministic, tribals would always get steamrolled. Faction size is too same-ish for all factions. I also discounted their (raid) strength. It's too inaccurate to simulate in a dry-run and too laggy to actually let the factions battle. Besides that vanilla factions are pretty well balanced, and modded factions generally too OP.

A faction "leader" (which is often null for modded factions, don't get me started) doesn't have much personality. They have three traits, and that's it. Skills? Most are irrelevant; how good of an artist, gardener or miner a faction leader has about zero bearing on the outcome of a war.

But more than that: What do you propose a war actually does? The war in MFI has multiple events revolving around it, settlements dying and being taken over - that's what I'm missing in your proposal. I'd like to hear more.

==Politicking====================================
-Factions will now have capital bases, which will be larger, stronger, and more populated than normal bases
-They will also have tax collectors, similar to the ones in the star wars mod, which will be like traders but will only collect a certain percentage of your colony's silver in return of not being raided if you're near their territory
-Leaders of factions will have greater influence, occasionally visiting your colony if near
-Faction leaders will also chat with each-other regularly like normal pawns, on the comms console, for bettering or worsening relations.

Cute ideas here. Some of them are workable, but do you have something more tangible? "Greater influence of faction leaders" is not a suggestion anyone can implement. It needs a concrete example. A faction leader visiting is fun and all, but if I gun him down while he's touring the muffalo barn, that'll have zero consequence beyond some lost goodwill.

Tax collectors already exist, and MFI has a pirate extortion event. "More of the same" doesn't scratch anyone's itch. These should be (emotionally) impactful events to interact with, not the thousandth Gun Mod.

||Civil WAR|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
-Civil wars can be cause by a number of reasons;
  -Vassals wanting independence
  -Power hungry dudes who want to take over the faction
  -Cultist Uprisings (Call of Cthulhu)
  -other things

Again, how, what and why? This needs a concrete example. "The tribal faction Unified Hedgehogs of Minoca is now in a state of civil war because of X" doesn't do anything by itself. How's the player supposed to notice anything is different? It just makes the itch for a proper grand strategy game bigger, because it confronts you with all the things RimWorld is not: a grand strategy game.

TL;DR: You've got some ideas, but it's too abstract for anyone to do anything with. Focus on how it can be implemented, how the idea would establish itself in the game. Protip: multiple smaller events to work together lead to something greater than the sum of its parts.