Sea Ice Community Challenge

Started by Rhadamant, December 29, 2016, 04:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seeker89

So as I said before I'm using a few mods: camping stuff, set-up camp, Dubs Rimkit, Dubs Skylight, and Chemfuel Generator. As I have a camping mod, I like to start with camping stuff... and I end up going into dev mode giving me the camping stuff(and the medkit), chemfuels then feeling the need to balancing stuff out deleting some wood,steel and silver. I decided to save over the save and rename it, then upload it encase someone else was interested in the same....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B485pubk5LKdUkZrdGV2ZWtYdUk/view?usp=sharing

Shurp

Quote from: Sola on January 06, 2017, 10:04:51 PM
Then something is odd.  I've never seen such an ... oh derp.
I need to click "health" and "operate", don't I?  Geez.  Learn something new every day.

And *I* just learned something new -- there's a "shut down" option there to turn off incapacitated mechanoids.  Well whaddya know!  I don't have to have my colonists endlessly punch or shoot centipedes once they're downed... I can just click them off and carry them to the table.  Damn!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Sp0nge

So when you fight of 2 raids almost instantly killing them all, this happends ...

Sola

And now, Run 20!

Even now, it blows my mind that Rhadamant just seemed to have everything go right for him on his first try.

Two fail-to-constructs on first room gives Engie frostbite.
It gets infected, she dies.

Rip Engie XX - Cause of death: 1% chance of failure is a lot higher than it seems

Run 21!
Everything goes well  Both the pop idol pirate and sparkles are raiders this time.  I make it to day 33  (no traders yet) when Zzzt! happens.  ...While I'm halfway across the map hauling a mechanoid back.  Base gets destroyed.

RIP Engie XXI - Cause of death, starvation.

Run 22!
Everything's starting nicely.  Given that my food ran out on my last good run, I'll forbid the survival meals until food is just under 0.1, then let her eat.  It's a bit more micromanagement, but it'll stretch my food supplies a bit longer.

..Unfortunately, that got boring fast.  First merchant that comes by is on day 21, and it's a pirate.  I have enough synthread and hyperweave from random spacers to pick up peroxycilline and some more silver.  Just gotta get that bulk trader now.

Day 24: Got a call for help from a 94 year old incapable of everything with go-juice addiction and a staggering movement speed of 45%.  I accept the call for help, because I'm a chump like that.  She makes it six steps to the base before mental break, and the pirates kidnap her.

Day 28: And then a poison ship appears.  I really need a better sniper rifle for this.  Also, Remember that old frail addict I was talking about?  It appears as if the people that kidnapped her are sick of her too, and try to sell her back to me for 333 silver.  Naturally, I decline.  Engie is already eating raw thrumbo meat, I don't need another leech tapping that out.

Day 29:  They try to sell her back to me again.  This time for 292 silver.

Day 34: Out of food again.  Resorting to raw cannibalism.  Maybe next time I'll hang the comms console and go for the slower, but more reliable weapons disassembly bench.

Day 38:  Still no bulk goods trader.  Found a couple simple meals for a very temporary fix to my starvation problem.  Then this happened.

Exotic trader has a good hospital bed, which I buy.
And a megascreen teevee.  BECAUSE WHY NOT.

Day 39:  "PLEASE take your worthless-ass colonist back!" 219 silver.  I say no again.  We'll see how much they offer me to take her back :p

Day 40: "How about 341 silver?  Will you give us 341 silver for her?"

Day 41:  This bed gives great comfort, and is doing wonders for Engie's m... "HOW ABOUT 285 SILVERS?"  ...wonders for Engie's mood.

Day 45:  Guy with a triple rocket launcher.  I know he's coming, though.  He takes aim, i run away, he destroys a couple walls.  I use some of my very limited steel to repair it after repelling the invaders.

Day 49:
THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY!
Cargo pods with enough food and mood booster to last half a year

Day 53: Finally smelted enough steel to make a mechanoid disassembly station.  Unfortunately, so much time was spent running around, I never finished machining tech.  Oh well!  Got some downtime with those fine meals that just dropped outta the sky.

Day 59: Almost took an entire year, but a bulk goods trader finally showed up.
Buy all the steel, wood, and marble blocks they have, and *still* have 8000 silver left over.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Shurp

Please remember that there is no need to suffer a "zzzt" in your first year.  Put the battery adjacent to the windmill.  Put everything else electrical nearby.  No conduits needed whatsoever until you expand beyond your initial hut.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Zhentar

Quote from: Sola on January 08, 2017, 05:55:42 PM
Day 38:  Still no bulk goods trader.  Found a couple simple meals for a very temporary fix to my starvation problem.  Then this happened.

Exotic trader has a good hospital bed, which I buy.
And a megascreen teevee.  BECAUSE WHY NOT.

protip: Deconstructed grand sculptures yield 195 material, large 101, and small 52. In my latest game I got about 300 steel & wood and 200 stone of off an exotic goods trader by buying their low quality statues.

Then I got killed by bleeding to death after a spring melee raid again. I even had a second pawn this time, but he couldn't doctor :(

Sola

I got Sparkles as my second pawn.  like.. super lucky.  Normally, she's one of the first that appears, and dies because I can't support her.  Downside is that she can't grow or cook, and her shooting is crap, but she's also the best weaponsmith and tailor you can ask for.

Day 83: Second bulk goods trader.  Sadly, the textiles were crap, but with the money made from selling all the plasteel, I picked up another healthy portion of steel, wood, meals, meat, and stone, and still have over 10,000 silver left.  Beauty problems are gone, flammability problems are also done.

Day 88: Frail, bad back, dementia wanderer joins.  She gives her muffalo parka to Sparkles and dies.

Day 107: Still just Engie and Sparkles.  A second poison ship dropped, giving up a fair bit of steel and components, but I had to drop four scythers for it.

Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

Limdood

run 1: didn't totally understand initial constructing minutiae.  Had the right size hut and everything, but built in the wrong order with inefficient trips.  Frostbite, and didn't feel like sitting in bed first few days.

run 2: set up properly.

Day 4, killed a raider for a cloth tuque and deerhide parka (i say killed...i mean that he wandered up and died at my door).

Day 9, after several more wanderers and a few raids (who keep "preparing for a while" so they start their trek towards me going into serious hypo), i finish smelting research, build a bench, and get a drop of steel!

Steel is too far away, i grab one load and get frostbite...spend an extra day in bed recovering, but i'm able to get a comm console and beacon built.

Day 28:  packaged meals running out (using shurps method of waiting to eat....if i pick up a meal when i'm at 0.4% nutrition, i can finish the meal without hitting starving, and my food lasts twice as long).  But i get a bulk goods trader.  buy 250 wood, 850 steel, and 55 nutruent paste meals.

Day 31: amidst building an ambitious hydroponics room, i get sappers, they kill a wind turbine and set me on fire....spending some days healing.

Day 33: Flu....bedridden

Day 34: sensory mechanites....shit...

Day 36: pain is at intense....while heading back outside to finish building the wind turbine and hydro room, i hit 33% hypothermia, which is enough to cause me enough pain to fall over when added on to the crazy sensory mechanites penalty....RIP Engie.

Learned things:  early on, like the first raider or wanderer or two, removing a lung is doable, and you can live with the mood penalty...once you get to 4x i butchered, it gets to be a bit much.  I had very few mood difficulties and got lucky with no shits hitting engie, BUT every time a good geared pawn entered the map as part of a raid, their friends would die and they left before i could take them down.  There were also a LOT of dead pawns and orbital drops around the edges of the map...which i couldn't reach...the map size is a real liability.  Time to keep trying.

Limdood

Run 3, much better:

Its currently 2nd of fall first year, so 15 days in.  made a 5x3 start, got frostbite, but survived with no penalty.  I like this new size...lets me do 2 graves at once, minimizing researching ticks when i'm focusing on the graves.  and i can fit in a bed, research table, heater (1 is enough), and a 3x1 crafting station of any type.

Some early raiders had cloth parka & tuque, above 50% and stripped before dying.  Later i nabbed a camelhair parka and megasloth tuque, but both are "D" and the parka is 19%, so I've been managing mood by wearing them only to go out for extended time.  Otherwise I keep the good gear on to offset the butchered people.

No traders yet, but I'm uninjured, just killed a Thrumbo, had 4 ship chunks land nearby, had about 150 berries land nearby, salvaged a good LMG 88% and a masterwork great bow 100% for use in specific fighting situations.  Just need a trader now and I'll be in great shape....should have food for nearly a year (starvation-level feeding conserves the packaged meals, and the Thrumbo was...quite chubby) before having to resort to cannibalism, and the goods i've salvaged means I can make some good silver off any kind of trader...which i can build with in a pinch.

Update, 12th of fall...still no traders, but 3 more ship chunks, again nearby, and now I have a smelter and am slowly gaining metal.  Wanderer joined, took off his 100% good camelhair parka and hung out near the butcher table...no more tattered mood penalty!

2 windmills, 2 batteries, and stocking up so i can start an ambitious hydroponics room as soon as i get a trader so i can build the walls...

Sola

Run 21 Cont'd.

Day 111: Mechanoid raid drops right on top of me.  Three scythers.  Sparkles loses a foot.  Fortunately, I don't keep her around for her amazing hauling capabilities.

Day 122: Another mechanoid invasion.  I have enough plasteel to buy whatever I like now.  Got six turrets, with the capability to build many more.  Also bought a bionic leg, but I'm reluctant to try and put it on Sparkles until I get a third pawn.  the chance of death is way too high to risk.

Day 124: Got a guy with 10 medicine and an interest, but had to fight off a horde of tribals for it.  Looks like Sparkles is gonna get that bionic leg she always wanted! ...as soon as everyone heals up.  Maybe 6 turrets isn't enough.

Day 135: All right.  Everything's all cleaned up.  Bodies are buried, Sparkles finished her food binge.  Medical bed, 10 doctor, glitterworld medicine.  Not gonna get much better than this.  Time to risk it...

JACKPOT!  Sparkles is back online!  ...Too bad she's a prosthophobe, but it's totally worth it to have her moving 2.5x faster than she was.

Day 136.  1 scyther and 3 centipedes.  Three snipers easily take out the scyther before it even gets into turret range, then they kite the centipedes back to the base.  The two centipedes that live long enough attack the plasteel turrets and get shot down by the team of long distance shooters.  More components and plasteel!  Yay!
Also, 7 scyther blades.  Does anyone buy these?

Day 143:  Sparkles and Ben are now lovers.  I splurge the gold to get 'em a royal bed, and it comes out superior.  That should offset Ben's "lover has died" and Sparkles' prosthophobe debuffs a bit.

...Really.  Thanks, RNG!

A lot of downtime.  Like.. Colonists are idle downtime.  Sparkles burns through all the leather that drops making parkas to get her crafting to 17.  A combat supplier has a bionic arm, but I'm gonna keep that around until I need it (failure rate is scary stuff).  I keep getting more resources than I ever need, 20k silver and a couple silver beds for luls.  While waiting for components to arrive, a siege happens.  Hypothermia takes care of that, but I send out the snipers just to get their shooting level up.  This is enough components to make a hi-tech bench.  Now I just gotta make a multi analyzer and component assembly, and I can go back to worrying about steel like God intended.

Also, Sparkles and Ben are engaged.  Once they get married, I'm gonna dig up every single person I killed and turn 'em into human sausage.

Rhadamant

My Sea Ice Community Challenge is now over. I've constructed a ship and launched into space with two additional colonists I've met on my journey. It took 249 days of living on an Sea Ice, but , alas, my efforts in this challenge have come to a close. Here's the entire Let's Play, start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHqSuWJSw8SBSI3wQDmg3C4LBoYWAOh0o

Zhentar

Quote from: Sola on January 10, 2017, 05:25:33 PM
Also, 7 scyther blades.  Does anyone buy these?

A combat supplier has a bionic arm, but I'm gonna keep that around until I need it (failure rate is scary stuff).

Exotic Goods traders buy scyther blades.

If your doctor has a 70% or better surgery success chance in their info screen (level 6 or 7, IIRC, assuming no reduced capacities), then bionics surgery with glitterworld medicine has a 0% failure rate.

Sola

0% failure rate?  I could have sworn I had a bad time recently in another save with a high skill doctor and glitterworld.  Maybe I forgot to unforbid it and he tried it with herbal?  In any case, thanks for the reassurance.  Engie's gonna be getting that arm now.  17 construction and 11 shooting would really like that enhanced manipulation.

Day 150: Bob and Sparkles get married!  Time to butcher me some humans!

Day 152: A wanderer joins.  burning passion in shooting, but can't do much else.  Can always use another shooter!  Unfortunately, I don't have any more wool parkas to put her in, so she's gonna be idle in the greenhouse until I find something for her to wear.  Fourth colonist get!

Day 161:  Psychic ship, and I have three snipers with enough cold weather gear to survive the assault.  This should be fun!  Components have been my limiting factor for a while now.  Here's hoping this pans out.

Day 169:Component assembly bench research finished, but nowhere near enough components to make the bench itself.  Haven't seen a single trade ship in this session, and my stockpiles are getting super full.
-8000 human meat
-2000 human leather
-Sparkles with 18 crafting skill, gettin' to work on said leather.

Whenever a trade ship comes by, I'm set.  I'll even be able to survive off human meals for a while, due to the small penalty of cooked cannibalism.

Day 173: A tribal invasion.  Easily thwarted by the defense I have.  A host a plasteel turrets with snipers behind them, and a stockpile of charge rifles to swap out to when they get too close.  Two wool parkas drop off NOT dead men.  Super lucky for me.  Inessa puts one on, and the fourth goes forbidden in the corner of Engie's room.  if I get a fifth colonist, I'll be okay.

Day 180:  Year 3.  Ship research begins, not that I have any intention of leaving.  Haven't seen a trade ship since I started this session.  Two Summer Thrumbos, but they're no match for the team of crackshots.  Snipe one, it gets revenge, swap out to charge rifles, rifles+turrets kill it, repeat on second Thrumbo.  Tons of meat to make fine meals with.

Day 183: While clearing out a poison ship, I realize the RNG played a practical joke on me.  During a solar flare, a bulk goods trader entered comms range.  Since the electrical equipment wasn't working, I did not know this had happened.  After the flare ended, I get the message today that the bulk goods trader has LEFT comms range.  **** move, Cassandra.

Day 187: A mechanoid invasion of 4 centipede and 2 scyther gets me enough components to make my component assembly bench, and that'll put Sparkles at 20 crafting for the rest of the game.

Day 193: It never ends.  Mechanoid drop pods right on my face, Inessa gets her eye shot out, my greenhouse gets eviscerated, and while I'm recovering from all that, Zzzt! with only two people capable of putting out fires.  I'll survive, but geez, Cassandra really has it in for me ever since I said "I have this game won" :p

Lawlzer

You can do it! I made an account JUST so I can reply how I do on the challenge, this weekend..

Sola

Day 194:  Finally got a trade ship.  A combat supplier.  Pick up a bionic arm and hook it to the doctor, as well as a handful of components.  got 21,000 silver now.  Engie's got 6 medicine and a bionic arm.  How bad could this go, right?

Day 199:  When it rains, it pours.  Pirate merchant.  Too bad the people they have for sale aren't that great.