Sea Ice Community Challenge

Started by Rhadamant, December 29, 2016, 04:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limdood

My run #3 lost in Spring of (the end of) year 1 by a misunderstanding. 

Tribal raiders came, got to me getting into serious hypo.  Decided to "steal what they can and leave" so i exit my hut to try to down the muffalo tuque raider.  Turns out they hadn't QUITE decided to just steal and go....1.4% chance to hit from hypothermia and injured tribal sees a pila hit Engie thru the HEART...dead in a single shot...

done with this challenge for a while...gonna mess about with the "set up camp" and "tents & sleeping bags" mods to do a completely nomadic game.

Shurp

So I'm thinking of giving this another try... but... I'm concerned about the trade situation.  Steel is the critical resource.  My previous try ended because it got too cold to harvest drop pods before I was able to build my stove to cook frozen meat bags.  But I didn't bother with a trade console; instead I went straight to smelting.

How hard is it to get a bulk goods trader to give you enough steel to set up a stove and second heater before winter hits?  Once I have those I'm sure Engie can survive on cooked human meat until spring rolls around...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Sola

Quote from: Shurp on January 12, 2017, 07:28:39 PM
So I'm thinking of giving this another try... but... I'm concerned about the trade situation.  Steel is the critical resource.  My previous try ended because it got too cold to harvest drop pods before I was able to build my stove to cook frozen meat bags.  But I didn't bother with a trade console; instead I went straight to smelting.

How hard is it to get a bulk goods trader to give you enough steel to set up a stove and second heater before winter hits?  Once I have those I'm sure Engie can survive on cooked human meat until spring rolls around...

It's all luck.  Not sure about the numbers, but it's possible to go *years* without a single bulk goods trader.  If you do get one, however, that's 900-1200 steel right there.

Run 21 - Continued!
Day 210: Zzzt! takes out my component assembly bench.  What a sick joke.  "Oh, you're waiting on components?  Let's force you to build another 20 component bench!  TR0L0L0L0!"

Day 212: Combat supplier, and they have a bionic eye.  That'll fix up Inessa's shot-out-eye problem.  It's also my last glitterworld medicine, so I'm gonna need to find more of that.

Based God Sparkles keepin' me afloat in the silver category, too.

Day 215: Going after a poison ship.  Engie's LEFT ARM gets shattered, so she's relying solely on her one right bionic arm to get stuff done.  70% manipulation is not terribad, but I should still consider disabling hauling on her.

Day 230: Zzzt!  Happens on a stone wall, so nothing explodes, but all my rice/cotton plants die, because batteries.

Day 231: Toxic Fallout.  No big deal.  Every bit of my base that isn't generating power is roofed.  Aaaand I just realize I have a spare bionic arm just laying around to get Engie back up to par. Let's see... Ben's at 11 medical, 120 manipulation, a medical bed, and regular medicine.  Uh... I think that's over 100%.  Let's blow it and see.

Word.

Day 233: A siege!  How cute!  I was *just* thinking I needed more components!

Day 235: Mechanoids.  Business as usual, until a scyther decides "0.86% chance to hit?  Yeah, I got this mess."  One friggin' shot.  Engie's slowly becoming fully bionic.

Day 240:  Welcome to year 4.  I haven't seen a bulk goods trader since.. Day 59, I think?  There should probably be some sort of tech to increase the frequency at which trade ships appear (increased comms range, perhaps?)

Day 243:  Bulk goods trader comes, toxic fallout subsides, and a poison ship gives me more plasteel/steel/components.  Can't complain.  2500 stone, 1100 steel, 900 wood lets me expand the base and reconstruct workshops to be placed in areas such that i no longer suffer bad temperature penalties.

Before -

After - Would have been faster if my constructor hadn't gone and had her leg shot up, and I didn't have two things breaking down every day.

Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

iconeo

I took a different approach. After settling in and getting some clothes I left on day 12. I was about a third of the way to the ship when my game crashes, says it can't load map, and nothing. I was about to attack my 3rd or 4th raider camp for supplies. Is there any way I can salvage the save file?

iconeo

I was able to get my file working but...

12th day of Summer, 5500
I decide to leave camp and head East.

2nd of Fall, 5500
Attacking Dragonfly Bourough. Stole food and ran. On my way to Vehadville.

6th of Fall, 5500
Vehadville. Sold all my gold and bought as many meals as I could. Oh, and some chocolate. Headed Northeast now.

Met some traders long the way. I only had 3 silver...

11th of Fall, 5500
Purple Gorar. I 'attacked' some compacted machinery and left.

13th of Fall, 5500
Soldiers Community. I take all the flake, eat a meal, and grab some compacted machinery and head out before being discovered. North I go.

1st of Winter, 5500
I get attacked by an elephant and get hit once. I must find shelter.

2nd of Winter, 5500
I find a location with an ancient danger and I risk all. I am wounded in the ensuing battle but Emmie joins as were fighting. I survive the fight only to have Emmie succumb to frostbite moments before being able to treat me. I die.

matthewgareth

Quote from: Sola on January 12, 2017, 08:03:00 PM
Quote from: Shurp on January 12, 2017, 07:28:39 PM

Before -

After - Would have been faster if my constructor hadn't gone and had her leg shot up, and I didn't have two things breaking down every day.

damn thats a good looking base!

Sola

Run 21 cont

Day 259: That feel when...
Forever between traders, and suddenly I get this awesomeness?

39 components
2 glitterworld medicine
1 bionic eye
1 bionic leg
35 Waekup (fifth member is addicted to the stuff)
And it all costs a total of 400 silver, thanks to Thrumbo horns.  Wouldn't have cost a thing if I kept Sparkles on tailoring that human leather and thrumbo fur.

Day 265:  Franklin overdoses.  Doesn't die, but if this becomes a habit, he might become Ben's guinea pig for denture implanting and removals.

Day 266: Another bulk goods trader.  I only managed one parka since the last ship.  Pick up a ton of steel, stone, wood, and meat, sell off the human meat lavish meals and raw human sausage, and end up with 22,000 silver remaining.

Day 268:  Going after a poison ship with 5.  Scythers are always a pain in the butt.  Inessa's having a bad time as a result of said scythers.

Whoa.  completely forgot that humerus was arm bone.  I misread it as femur.  Oh well.  Inessa has a neat peg leg to go with her 50% manipulation!

Day 271: A wanderer joins!  ... Yeah.  You can drop you clothes off here and hang out by the graveyard. 

Engie and Inessa catch the plague, but I've got a healthy amount of medicine and penoxycylline.

Franklin keeps going major break risky on me.  Rebuffed by (married) Sparkles 3x, rebuffed by Engie 1x, refusing to eat at a table  when it's located close to the meal stockpile.  He might have to get Old Yeller'd.

Day 280: Franklin goes on a food binge, and a combat supplier shows up, selling bionic eye and joywire.  I have decided Franklin can have a joywire.  Once again, Sparkles' spectacular ability to turn human flesh into high fashion makes sure this trade offers a net gain of silver.

Franklin, however, did not agree with the surgery.  12 medicine, 140 sight, 120 manipulation, conventional medicine, and that adds up to a catastrophic failure by Ben!  Not too hung up on it, though.  Franklin was a liability.

Oh yeah.  forgot Franklin was Inessa's brother.  I guess that's half a year of break risks.  Oh well.  If she could stop eating off the freakin' ground, though, that'd be super.

Day 282: DUDE?!
Ben, the colony's doctor, is gettin' a leg over with Engie.  He had to work his butt off to get Sparkles to agree to him in the first place, and there are guys that would give their left nut to be with someone that can singlehandedly sew the world's most comfortable quilt in a day with one hand, while assembling legendary sniper rifles with the other hand, and he throws it all away for another flavor of vagina.  *HISS!* *CLAW!* *RAGE!*

Shame on Engie, too.  Breaking the cardinal rule of "Bros before Hos".

Day 287: Sappers set my silver walls on fire, which caused a ton of batteries and hydroponics to explode.  I have two people able to put out fires, and they are not doing a great job of it.  This is why you always wait for the stone :(

Day 291: Exotic goods trader comes to replenish the components that burned in the Great Fire of '05.  Sparkles continues to MVP the heck out of this run for me.

Day 292: Ben breaks up with his girl-on-the-side Engie.  Nice boat, buddy.

Day 307: mechanoids drop right into my workshop.  EMP grenades, autodoors, and charge rifles make short work of that, though.  Ben loses an ear in the process.  Serves him right.  Screw that guy.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

Zhentar

Bionic eyes don't improve surgery success chance in A16. So you were at 68.5% success rate, and with brain surgery, a ~75% chance that failures would be fatal.

Sola

Quote from: Zhentar on January 13, 2017, 11:13:14 PM
Bionic eyes don't improve surgery success chance in A16. So you were at 68.5% success rate, and with brain surgery, a ~75% chance that failures would be fatal.

I thought my success rate was much higher than that, for some reason.

I did not know about the eyes not increasing surgery success rate.  I'd have given them to a shooter instead.  Oh well.  Increased manipulation still has 40% effect, doesn't it?  103(base)*0.7(medicine)*1.08(manipulation) is pushing 80%, and a 75% fatality rate on brain operations means he still only had a 15% chance to die.

Frankly, he was asking for it.

XeoNovaDan

Yeah, sight not affecting surgery past 100% efficiency was unfortunately removed in Alpha 16... I generally just have my surgeons pop a bottle of go-juice for that slight consciousness improvement, then get to work; it's worked well for me so far.

Zhentar

The 103% already included the bonus from manipulation. I did mess up the calculation a bit though, since that comes out to about a 72% success chance.

Sola

Day 324: Zzzt is the most annoying random event in the game when you only have two guys that can put out fires.

Cost me about 100 simple meals, but it's not like I'm short on food.  The inconvenience of it is what's most frustrating.

Day 339: Ship is constructed, and now I need to decide who's gonna leave this desolate rock.
First, of course, is Engie.  She's the brains of this operation.
Second, we need sparkles.  She's gonna make sure we have stuff to trade if we're in need.
Inessa's solely responsible for hundreds of meals we've been eating these years.
Finally... Silver.  An escape pod refugee we picked up.

That'll teach Ben to annoy the two most useful colonists in the whole place >:(

Definitely tons of fun.  I might even draw a hilariously low-quality comic including Ben screwing around with the ladies, getting left behind, and killed by the first Zzzt!, since he has no ability to put out fires.

CrazyEyes

Well, this is certainly a hell of a challenge.  I'm having fun with it though, and after some trial and error and a few game-ending mistakes I've managed to survive all the way to the first winter with a pretty decent foothold and no shortage of corpses to feast on.

Here's the abridged imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/1vwR2

And here's the journal I kept of day-to-day events:

Run ??, Day 1 - Meals Remaining: 40
After many false starts I've managed to get a sizeable hut built without suffering frostbite by ordering its construction and unforbidding the necessary wood before Engie's pod has landed.  This way she immediately walks over and gets to work.  Two campfires are necessary to combat the initial coldness, and Engie must be carefully micromanaged so that she gets completley warm in between hauling trips.  I order her to make her bed from silver, as all our steel and remaining wood is precious, and it comes out shoddy.  Ah well.  Once more materials are hauled in we can begin construction of electrical heating.

Day 2 - Meals Remaining: 39
For my power needs I have decided to go with a wind turbine rather than solar power.  While not quite as reliable, it will serve me much better during the long winter nights.  Currently I can only afford a single battery, but hopefully that will change soon.  Engie has suffered a touch of frostbite during the construction due to my carelessness - hopefully she does not develop infection.  There is a single heater built, which should be just enough to keep Engie from freezing to death while she rests.

Day 3 - Meals Remaining: 37
Engie spent most of the day recovering from frostbite, which has unfortunately claimed her right thumb.  The penalty to manipulation is going to make everything else that much harder.  She will remain resting in bed until she is no longer in danger of bleeding to death, then we really must begin research on an electric smelter.  Even a small amount of extra steel will allow us to build a second lifesaving heater.

Day 4 - Meals Remaining: 35
Engie's thumb stops bleeding and she gets up and does some hauling, then immediately goes to sleep in the snow because I forgot to un-designate her bed as medical.  A quick slap (draft+undraft) fixes the problem.  I don't know why she couldn't have slept while she was recovering, though.  We've got work to do if we're going to make it though this, woman!

Day 5 - Meals Remaiing: 34
Engie fails in the construction of the research bench, wasting precious wood and steel.  She runs out into the cold to grab more resources before I can stop her and gets frostbite in her ear.  Fortunately, a wanderer arrives just in time to patch her up!  Welcome to hell, Cordova.  I hope you're good at medicine.

Cordova is a man-hating psychopath who is incapable of medicine.  I really need a doctor, but I could use a psychopath around too.  Unfortunately she is wearing only a cloth t-shirt and will never survive the hike to my base.

Engie thinks we should name our "faction" because two people struggling to not freeze to death before they have the chance to starve counts as a faction, I guess.  We call ourselves Against All Odds, trying to inspire a bit of hope.  As for the colony, I can't think of a more apt name than Icebox.

Cordova collapses from the cold a dozen meters from the shelter.  Sorry, but even if I wanted to split my remaining food with you I have no clothes for you to wear and can't afford to heat this place any further.  The best I can do is euthanize her to mitigate the mood penalty.  Joke's on me though, she freezes to death before I can kill her.

Day 6 - Meals Remaining: 31
Dear diary, today a lone raider came all the way to the ass end of the planet to try and profit from the razor-thin living I was scraping together.  He's got a parka and a tuque, though - cloth, but enough to keep Engie warm at night and allow her to be outside for more than an hour before hypothermia is a serious concern.  He did me the service of delivering his clothes most of the way to my base before the cold got to him, and I was able to have Engie strip him before he died to avoid the dead man's clothes debuff.  Chin up Engie, our situation has just been upgraded from Hopeless to Desperate!

Day 7 - Meals remaining: 30
We almost lost it all.  While out on a hauling trip the cold gave Engie a "soft" mental break, causing her to wander around sad and broken - in -94C weather.  The cloth parka wasn't going to save her from that.  Fortunately she wandered indoors long enough to not freeze to death, though she was left with some pretty severe frostbite.  Fingers crossed for no infections.  She literally developed an infection as I typed that. ;_;

Day 8 - Meals Remaining: 27
A wanderer!  This one is being chased by pirates but I'm willing to risk a raid to get Engie patched up.  She's just baaaaarely behind the infection in terms of immunity and even one slapshod treatment could save her life.  Hopefully he can do medicine.  Move your ass, Wolle, you've been a colonist for eight seconds now and you're already my only hope!

...Wolle is not INCAPABLE of medicine, but he DOES have a 0 in it.  At least he had the sense to wear a parka to the south pole so he might actually make it in time to help.  The raid arrives behind him, and one of them is wearing a camelhair parka!  Do want!

Now, I have to be careful here.  If too many raiders sucumb to hypothermia, the raid will break and the parka wearer will flee before I can take his clothes.  But if I turn Wolle around now, out in the open, he will certainly die against the 3-to-1 odds before he can treat Engie's wounds.  My only hope would be to kite the raiders until their hypothermia becomes serious but not incapacitating, then hope I can kill the parka wearer before Wolle himself is incapacitated by either combat or the cold.

...goddamnit.  Engie is too important, and it's too big a risk.  Just treat her and hope for the best later.

Ooooor not!  The raiders pursued Wolle all the way to the shack, so I had him grab Engie's charge rifle, turn around and engage them.  He downed the guy with the parka, and killed another!  Huzzah!  Warm clothes with no debuff!

Day 9 - Meals Remaining: 21
Engie just managed to pull through her infection.  Good thing too, it would have been a pity to amputate her only remining thumb.  She is finally able to begin research on our electric smelter.  As an added bonus, one of the tribal raiders had a steel spear.  Every little bit counts at this stage.  Another colonist offers to join, and I accept.  There isn't enough food to sustain more than two people, though, so her and Wolle will have... tryouts.  Alright Muse, let's see what you're made of.

Muse arrives naked. New plan: Wolle and Engie take bets on how far she'll make it before the temperature kills her.  Neither is correct, as Muse somehow manages to make it all the way to the base before collapsing on top of a lifesaving parka.  Engie carries her inside to be euthanized.  It's more humane than letting her freeze, and there's no reason we can't be civil. Alas, Muse, we hardly knew ye, but we're sure your corpse will taste delicious.  I MEAN UH

Day 10 - Meals Remaining: 17
Wolle hit on Engie and got rebuffed.  Between that, sleeping on the ground and his incessant wandering near the corpse pile he is starting to look tas- er, like a liability.  Engie is starting to think the cabin fever is getting to her.  She takes a quick walk on the ice, and Wolle digs a row of graves to keep the corpses out of sight.  It proves to be too little too late, however, and Engie locks herself indoors while Wolle stomps around outside in a berserk rage.

Day 11 - Meals Remaining: 12
An escape pod has landed nearby, providing me with more slag to eventually melt into steel! oh and also a person i guess they're probably not worth it though

He's decent at medicine, and great at growing, but also a Brawler and Very Neurotic.  I'm not really set up for resuing anyone or taking prisoners, and that low mental break threshold isn't going to do him any favors at this colony.  He's got on a hyperweave shirt, though.  Engie goes and strips it off him.  Good thing Wolle dug extra graves.

Before I'm even done hauling the body, a wanderer arrives.  This sure is a popular little hunk of frozen wasteland.  With a nickname like Bard I'm not sure how useful he'll actually be, but I'm willing to take risks to replace the depressive Wolle who's hung up on a disinterested Engie.  Unfortunately Bard shows up wearing only pants.  Wolle and Engie get to betting.  Interestingly, he doesn't make it as far as the naked chick did.  We're gonna need more graves.

Day 12 - Meals Remaining: 9
For once something goes my way.  A pulse of soothing psychic energy sweeps through the area, taking the edge off Engie's mood.  I immediately reassign her to the sleeping spot on the ground and let Wolle have the bed in an attempt to combat his constant -12 mood penalty.  However, just as I am celebrating, a group of pirates show up.  No matter, there are only three of them and I have two healthy colonists ready to defend.  The pirates aren't dressed for the weather, either, and decide to spend half the day "preparing."  By the time they arrive they are shaking from cold too badly to shoot straight and we make quick work of them.  Wolle has another of his episodes while the loot is being carried back, though, and once again Engie barricades herself indoors to focus on her work.  We're almost ready to build that smelter.

Day 13 - Meals Remaining: 5
A group of cargo pods lands nearby, carrying not only more slag for melting but limestone blocks!  I can make a proper floor and some more walls out of this, and use the wood for a butcher table.  We're getting dangerously low on food, and nothing is worse than eating corpses raw.  First Wolle has to calm down, though.  He's been out there long enough to get frostbite and I really don't want to use up medicine trying to save him.  Cumbersome though he is, right now he's all that stands between Engie and death by infection or disease.

While he's recovering, another wanderer offers to join.  Heads up Wolle, Fredrik might just be your replacement if he's halfway competent.  And shows up wearing clothes.

Well... it's a toss-up.  He's wearing a parka at least, but his skills aren't any more useful than Wolle's and he's incapable of dumb labor.  Not being depressive means he won't be constantly at risk of a mental break, but... I can't USE him for anything.  I swear I'm not just spoiled by how awesome Engie is - everyone who's joining my colony is either naked or useless, or both.

Day 14 - Meals Remaining: 2
Fredrik was wearing a wool tuque that will help Wolle avoid hypothermia in the future.  However, we're dangerously low on food now.  If we're going to survive, well... we all knew it was going to come to this, really.  Thank goodness I'll be able to make a butcher table.  Just as I have that thought, an escape pod arrives.  This person has a decent medicine skill, but is incapable of dumb labor and doing anything scary.  Is Wolle really as good as it's going to get around here?  If so, we're in for rough times.

An AI tells me about a ship that can take me offworld, but it's all the way on the other side of the planet.  Plus it's not really in the spirit of the challenge, you know?  Wolle thinks Engie is crazy for turning it down but she assures him she knows what she's doing.

Not minutes later, ANOTHER escape pod comes crashing down.  Is this hunk of ice magnetic or something?  And of all people, it contains Wolle's father.  Lloyd is, if you can imagine, even worse than Wolle.  He's incapable of dumb AND skilled labor, making him totally useless for anything except eating up all my food.  I can't afford to take him in, but letting him die is going to send Wolle into a spiral of depression.  I have no choice, though.  I quietly strip Lloyd and build Wolle a limestone horseshoes pin.

Day 15 - Meals Remaining: 0
A fugitive from pirates calls us up and asks for help in fleeing the pirates chasing him.  i swear to god Brick if you're useless oh jesus it was a drop pod escape how what draft everybody oh god damnit Wolle is wandering around in a daze well here goes nothing

Brick is incapable of caring, which means he is just perfectly not qualified to replace Wolle since he can't care for Engie if she gets sick.  He's a hell of a soldier though, and came equipped with armor, a helmet and an assault rifle, so I'll use him as a meat shield to deal with the incoming raid.

As expected, Brick performs admirably in combat, even managing to down a raider wearing a camelhair parka and tuque and strip the body before sucumbing to the cold himself.  Upside: he was carrying three simple meals!

Another escape pod lands, and oh my god it's a useful person!  He's iron willed AND sanguine, incapable only of research, and 0 skill in medicine but at least able to learn!

So of course he's naked.  Engie doesn't make it in time and he dies on the ice, right as Wolle snaps out of his daze.

I really hate you, Wolle.

Day 16 - Meals Remaining: 1
Some cargo pods have landed nearby, carrying... hey! Rice!  We'll have to eat it raw, but anything's better than cannabalism.  The rest of the day passes uneventfully, mostly cleaning up corpses while Wolle has another mental break and wanders around.  With Engie doing all the hauling she can't focus on research, and that means the smelter is taking that much longer.

Day 18 - Meals Remaining: ~10 (raw)
More cargo pods.  These contain alpaca wool, which will be useful if we survive long enough to get a tailoring bench up and running.  I'm honestly more excited about the slag.

Day 19 - Meals Remaining: ~8 (raw)
Another wanderer.  Let's see if this one is as perfectly useless as the rest.  Show me what you got, Meretrix.

Meretrix is an iron-willed pyromaniac who is incapable of intellectual, artistic and crafting.  She has a low skill in medicine with no passion, and is good at mining (useless), shooting and animal handling.

More to the point, she's naked.

I really, really hate you, Wolle.

Day 21 - Meals Remaining: ~5 (raw)
The days pass more or less uneventfully, aside from Wolle's berserk rages.  I'm really quite lucky he hasn't been near Engie during any of them, as that could easily kick off a downward spiral of mental breaks for both of them due to the pain from fighting.  The joy from the horseshoes pin is basically the only thing keeping them going right now.  Only a bit more research to get that smelter...

Day 22 - meals Remaining: 0
Finally our research on the smelter is complete!  Engie gets to building one as soon as possible so Wolle can make himself useful melting slag.  Next up, we'd beter get cracking on hydroponics, as this has already taken way too long and we're out of food.

Day 23 - Meals remaining: 0
Cargo pods have arrived, but psychoid leaves are not food.  I'm tempted to let them rot on the ice but they may fetch a good price later.  The slag is useful, though.

A wanderer has arrived.  Cowan.  Is wanderer food?  Wanderer is good at medicine but nothing else useful, even carrying.  Wolle still somehow better alternative.  Wanderer is food.  Bring good parka, though.  Wolle not freeze any more.  And bring meals.  Colony appreciate.  Get in grave.

An unrelated raid arrives on the heels of Cowan.  Tribespeople that decide to prepare their raid in the dead of night in -125C weather.  I'll be suprised if any of them make it to the base.  Well, anyone except that guy with the muffalo wool parka.  I hope I get it.

Day 24 - Meals Remaining: 0
An eclipse occurs just as the sun is rising, sending the temperature even lower.  One of the raiders is already dead.  Right now I'm just worried about where my next meal is coming from, though.  It would be very helpful if Wolle stopped having constant mental breaks and did anything.

Day 24 - Meals Remaining: 4
The raid took care of itself in the cold, which is good, because Engie had a lot on her mind.  With no other recourse, she was forced to dig up one of the human corpses, butcher and cook it.  And it's only by luck she didn't have to eat it raw - the drop pods with limestone allowed us to replace our wooden walls, returning just barely enough wood to make a butcher table, and the steel for the electric stove came from the smelter.  Still, cooked cannabalism is cannabalism, and nobody likes doing it for very long.

During all this excitement, where was Wolle, I hear you ask, because I have excellent hearing.  Well, since you asked, he was an integral part of the construction of the walls and defending the haha no of course not he came down with the flu and was laid up in bed the whole time.  Then when Engie tried to treat him, he snapped, went berserk and started punching her.

So I had her shoot him with the charge rifle.

He didn't die (I should be so lucky), so Engie sighed heavily, hauled his bleeding, sick body back into bed, and started patching him up again.

Then I got a call from someone fleeing some tribespeople.  Please, please let Red be a competent replacement for Wolle, whom I shall hate until the end of the universe.

Oh.

Oh my.

A pretty, kind psychopath (someone who won't care about being the one butchering corpses!) with no passion but a low skill in medicine and a small passion for construction?!  Wolle, consider yourself fucking replaced.  She's even wearing a muffalo wool parka!

A sizeable raid of seven tribespeople follows her in, but none of them are even remotely dressed for the weather.  In honor of their defeat I strip Wolle naked and euthanize him.  No regrets.

---

I feel like things will start to calm down the more established I get, but the first 30ish days have been absolutely insane.  Between Wolle's incessant mental breaks and a wanderer/refugee/escape pod just about every day (sometimes more than one) it seemed like poor Engie was never going to catch a break.  I'm having fun with this though, and am going to see it through to the bitter (possibly freezing) end.  Let me know if you guys are enjoying the long-form journal enteries, they're fun to write and I'll post more as I continue playing. :)
Before you talk to me, I should warn you: I am kind of strange.

Rhadamant

Quote from: Sola on January 14, 2017, 12:58:30 PM
Day 324: Zzzt is the most annoying random event in the game when you only have two guys that can put out fires.

Cost me about 100 simple meals, but it's not like I'm short on food.  The inconvenience of it is what's most frustrating.

Day 339: Ship is constructed, and now I need to decide who's gonna leave this desolate rock.
First, of course, is Engie.  She's the brains of this operation.
Second, we need sparkles.  She's gonna make sure we have stuff to trade if we're in need.
Inessa's solely responsible for hundreds of meals we've been eating these years.
Finally... Silver.  An escape pod refugee we picked up.

That'll teach Ben to annoy the two most useful colonists in the whole place >:(

Definitely tons of fun.  I might even draw a hilariously low-quality comic including Ben screwing around with the ladies, getting left behind, and killed by the first Zzzt!, since he has no ability to put out fires.

Congrats on making it out!

Jovus

First post on these forums. This was too cool a challenge to pass up.

A little background first.

I'm a casual Rimworlder; so much so that I've never actually finished the game. The hardest I've ever played on is Cassandra Classic Extreme. I'm the sort who plays in a Boreal Forest Mountain and ends up dying off anyway - or more likely, savescumming when something truly terrible happens anyway due to my incompetence.

Anyhow, with that out of the way, I should mention I lowered the difficulty to Rough, at least for my first tries.

My first run (the first one I'm counting, since there were about seven preliminaries due to changing computers, changing files to allow cold snaps, and dying within three minutes to hypothermia) ended on the 4th of Spring of '01. The poor gal was caught by a lucky shot from a Scyther's charge lance. She killed the bastid, but with nobody else around to do medical work, she bled out in bed.

I'm hooked. (I'll probably up the difficulty to Extreme for the next try.)