Fort Turbo; The Ultimate self-sustaining non-mountain fortress

Started by Edixo, August 23, 2016, 09:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edixo

Welcome to Fort Turbo, where the ganja flows like wine and everyone is a little bit slower. But that doesn't matter, with the type of defences we have, we don't need to worry much.

Raiders have long since given up. They launch a siege once in a while, only to get obliterated by my mortars before even setting up. The game sent 15 manhunting wargs at me, and I just went on lockdown and lost 3 turrets. Psychic ship? No problem, bait them out with a sniper and mortar them to hell.

I could keep everyone within the walls, and no one would bat an eye. Only thing I'm waiting for is an Exotic trader so I can get gold for my multi-analyzer. Then it's on to deep drilling and, hopefully, unlimited steel within the walls. But I haven't seen a trade caravan in over a year, and I only get combat space traders. I think the game knows it needs to hold me back a bit.

I can conclude, traditional fortress patterns work very, very well.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
Nothing says "Home Security" like 50 turrets

falconbunker

s22190

Nicely done. Remember that mechanoids and raiders can drop INSIDE

eadras

Nice layout.  You'll need to continue to upgrade your defenses as your wealth increases, though.  The last manhunter pack I saw was 41 wargs... Cassandra doesn't give up.

Wex

It's all made of wood pal.
A single zztttt... event (or an unlucky flashstorm) could spell the end of your fort.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

cultist

A single centipede with an inferno cannon would tear that place apart if it dropped in the middle. Looks very good at repelling attacks from the outside though, I might try it some time.

SpaceDorf

Cute,

I thought the lighter blocks where sandstone.
My first thought when I read the topic was : Really, lets see how thick the walls are ..

If you change your wooden walls against stone use granite its the strongest
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Edixo

I'd done some modifications before I finished the game. Here's a screenshot right before launch.

I'll try a larger fort with a changed design on a tribe run next. Things got a bit cramped in the end.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

shaw357

A flash storm, power circuit bzzt, raiders with missles/inferno launchers/frags, berzerk colonists, arsonists, etc. Will destroy your colony. You need to replace that wood with something fire proof ASAP

Edixo

Quote from: shaw357 on August 25, 2016, 03:56:59 AM
A flash storm, power circuit bzzt, raiders with missles/inferno launchers/frags, berzerk colonists, arsonists, etc. Will destroy your colony. You need to replace that wood with something fire proof ASAP
I survived all, except arsonist since I don't have a pyromaniac. You just need to micromanage properly.

SpaceDorf

After I put all the nitpicking and other small problems in my head to rest.

Your Frontier Fort design looks really cool and seem to work great for you. :)
I was never able to finish a complete design of mine, because I either overreach or forget something important.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Gyropilot

What if you got a locust inside your base? Your guys are good at melee? Locusts give me some problems sometimes

Monzer

uninstall all turrets during wrags attack they wont attack them ( uninstall them in place np )

Serenity

Don't man hunters break down doors now? I just that with a warg attack

Facepunch

I remember I built a self-sustaining non-mountain forest in A11, or so. Just had 2 full bionic lvl 20 shooters man a sandbag perimeter that stretched all around my base. Combat Realism, and  Cybernetic Storm. Got all my resources from farming, and traders. How it fell, is Randy gave the 2 guys with guns the plague, and sent a manhunter pack at me, and as soon as that was done, a raid, and then a blight, and then a cold snap (In a -50C winter) and then a short circuit, and then a eclipse immediately after (Silly me was solars only) , and then when that ended, a solar flare. Randy hates me.