Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: bbqftw on July 02, 2018, 10:26:25 AM
There is some curiosity whether there is a significantly larger wealth-independent time scaling factor on raid strength now.

I'm year 8 on extreme. It's more sensitive to wealth in the end game.

On the other hand, raid points have been redistributed, so instead ~20 centipedes for a 8000 raid i get a dozen of them + the scythers/ landers. I really appreciate this change since it's easier to micro.

Also there is a significant improvement in performance in the end game. I used to be unable to play at speed 3 or 4 decently above 20 pawns and animals. Now, on the same labtop it's really smooth at x3 and i can use x4.

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: tiagocc0 on July 02, 2018, 10:19:47 AM
Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on July 02, 2018, 10:02:13 AMAlso, I would like the ability to manually order a barrel replaced.

But you can, if the barrel has been used, right click on the turret and there is a rearming option. I think it always use 60 steel.

Oh neat!  There wasnt a button for it so I guess I didnt think it could be done.  Seems obvious now lol

EdgarDruin

Drugs are burned one at a time?! 

I can pick up a stack of 25 flake from a drop pod in one go, move them back to base, but now I take 25 trips between storage and the crematorium to burn them all?

If bodies and clothes can all be burned in one go now, maybe a full carry weight of drugs could go at once as well.

iamomnivore

Quote from: EdgarDruin on July 02, 2018, 03:09:50 PM
Drugs are burned one at a time?! 

I can pick up a stack of 25 flake from a drop pod in one go, move them back to base, but now I take 25 trips between storage and the crematorium to burn them all?

If bodies and clothes can all be burned in one go now, maybe a full carry weight of drugs could go at once as well.

Yeah, this can't be right. May as well cry over lost drugs once, not 25 times. ;)

Zombull

To me, the rate of raids on Cassandra/medium gets way too high. I barely get a chance to breathe between them, much less rebuild and restabilize.

I downed, captured and released so many enemies, all but the pirates turned blue. And it seemed the more factions I turned neutral, the faster the raids from the other factions came. Now it's back to back to back raids from the pirates and I can't seem to get anything done in between.

iamomnivore

Quote from: Zombull on July 02, 2018, 03:25:10 PM
To me, the rate of raids on Cassandra/medium gets way too high. I barely get a chance to breathe between them, much less rebuild and restabilize.

I downed, captured and released so many enemies, all but the pirates turned blue. And it seemed the more factions I turned neutral, the faster the raids from the other factions came. Now it's back to back to back raids from the pirates and I can't seem to get anything done in between.

I'm not sure if the other side of this coin has been expressed, in this thread (I'm losing track.) There are some of us that are quite enjoying the current state of difficulty, in the game (I also refer to Cassandra, in this case.) I understand the game must be balanced, for everyone but, is it necessary to nerf the entire game? I'm not sure, having only ever played Extreme where the insane level of difficulty feels GREAT to me personally but, an overall nerf doesn't seem like the right direction for anybody's enjoyment ... Isn't an easy mode offered with Pheobe? I would only ask for careful regard to, perhaps, the upper difficulties if changes absolutely must be made to the challenge level.

I'd be quite sad if Extreme were any easier. How would I satisfy my masochism, then? ;)

Zombull

Quote from: iamomnivore on July 02, 2018, 03:32:05 PM

I'm not sure if the other side of this coin has been expressed, in this thread (I'm losing track.) There are some of us that are quite enjoying the current state of difficulty, in the game (I also refer to Cassandra, in this case.) I understand the game must be balanced, for everyone but, is it necessary to nerf the entire game? I'm not sure, having only ever played Extreme where the insane level of difficulty feels GREAT to me personally but, an overall nerf doesn't seem like the right direction for anybody's enjoyment ... Isn't an easy mode offered with Pheobe? I would only ask for careful regard to, perhaps, the upper difficulties if changes absolutely must be made to the challenge level.

I'd be quite sad if Extreme were any easier. How would I satisfy my masochism, then? ;)

I wasn't talking Extreme. I was talking Medium. Formerly called "some challenge". Between the new armor mechanic and the raid changes, it feels like a lot more than "some" now.

bbqftw

Difficulty in practically all aspects of the game was increased (mood management, addition of more autoteject tier trait, raid tempo/raid behavior, disease mechanics, infection mechanics), your assessment isn't incorrect.

I don't mind most of it, though some things are just so low counterplay it turns into RNG fiesta.

Greep

Feedback from players on the ludeon forums is mostly hardcore players, even a lot of the lurkers finally posting are also hardcore players you'll notice.  Quite a lot of people play just killboxes or really casually, and the casual players are going to get hit hard with this update, and none of them really care much for the finely tuned balancing of strategies that's going on.  At this very least I would lower difficulties of ones that "sound" easy (medium or less), and maybe add an extra, "hey dude this is really hard" notice to extreme/extra hard.

Also regarding turrets, this will particularly hurt players on low difficulties.  I've burned through 10s of thousands of steel on my randy extreme so far, caravans have been a necessity, deep drilling is nerfed a lot.  It's working for me, and quite comfortably finally after the three year mark now, but it's a rough ride to this point.  Honestly turret maintenance may need to be difficulty dependent. 
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

iamomnivore

Quote from: Zombull on July 02, 2018, 03:43:31 PM
Quote from: iamomnivore on July 02, 2018, 03:32:05 PM

I wasn't talking Extreme. I was talking Medium. Formerly called "some challenge". Between the new armor mechanic and the raid changes, it feels like a lot more than "some" now.

Not sure I understand this comment. It was stated that I recognized the difference and comment was even made to please stay away from higher difficulties (thus, inferring an understanding of what you posted.) In any case, I'm not trying to make the easy modes harder. Just want the tough ones to stay tough. And, to be fair ... there is always Phoebe.

Kralic

Hi,
Just wanna say, love the game.

I have a few questions on trading, things that seem to have changed but i have't seen any patch notes referring to such a change. Albeit, i realise I could have missed the post.
1/ In the unstable build, has the ability to trade 'tainted' or 'worn by dead person' gear been changed? I've not been able to sell any clothing with this mark since the new build.
2/  Thrumb horns... again not had any trader who was willing to buy these since 1.0.

Thanking anyone who can help/comment in advance.

Keep up the brilliant work :)

Broken Reality

Quote from: Eldarin1 on July 02, 2018, 11:39:02 AM
Day 11 I get my first item quest: AI persona core guarded by 2 sythers. 4 pawns, 2 guns and 1 pawn non-violent. No chance! Seems like this event was way too strong for a 1st event.

Two Scythers are reasonably easy to deal with either kite the melee ones or melee the ranged. My new tactic for tribal starts is Day one to two - build a hut, get some food and healroot and make some steel or stone clubs.Then I open the ancient danger and fight the contents. I usually have 2-3 ranged and 2-3 melee.

Quote from: Gfurst on July 02, 2018, 12:19:18 PM
First picture was the result of incendiaries on a indoor growbed, though I agree that a situation like should quickly delve into Dante's Inferno (and holy crap do I need firefoam poppers), it felt I little odd that the open room (2 doors, 1 vent, cracked roof) was such an heat trap (+800°C), to the point where all of my base turned went into +200°C. And you know there's something wrong when a walled room with no roof is much more insulated than a open but roofed room. I beg you o review the system though I agree it wont be easy, but an easy workaround to avoid total failures like mine, is to have roof destruction upon a fire like that, so that more heat can escape.

Out of control fires have been this way since I started playing in A17. If that room hadn't been vented and a small hole in the roof it would have been 2000°C. If the room was really unroofed then it wouldn't have been that hot it would have been the same as the outside temp.

Quote from: Greep on July 02, 2018, 01:09:14 PM
Regarding killboxes, they've honestly only ever worked in mountains, it's just most notable now.

I've used killboxes (unturreted at first till researched and then hybrid turret + pawns) successfully in flat, small hills and large hills. Before if you killed the sappers targeting your walls ( or used psychic lances on them) then they would revert to standard raid tactics and thus run in to your kill box. Now they don't they just promote another raider to the role of sapper so they always tunnel in to your base avoiding the killbox. Also raids now often attack from multiple fronts (I even had a siege build two bases on me one north one south of my base).

As it is now in 1.0 unstable mountain bases got a massive buff. Infestations got a big nerf the only downside to a mountain base (if you can't stop them now that they give you time to evacuate the area of the infestation then I dunno what to say), and open field bases got a big nerf in the increase of sappers and drop pod raids at higher wealth levels making killboxes for those bases far less effective.

Quote from: Razzoriel on July 02, 2018, 01:43:46 PM
Can we vent our frustation on the new armor mechanic here? Because if it goes to 1.0, it's a huge downgrade from B18. 50% armor being "50% chance to deflect all damage" is retarded beyond belief, unless someone can explain to me how the damage modifies the deflection chance.

Different weapons have different armour pen which reduces the deflection chance. The biggest issue for me so far has been centipedes but your main options for those is either out ranging them with sniper rifles or mobbing them with clubs which they are weak against.

Quote from: Zombull on July 02, 2018, 03:43:31 PM

The game overall is a little harder and the prevalence of raid types has changed it seems. Late game (or even late first year) sapper and drop pod raids have increased. This makes the game harder as previous standard defences are less useful (killboxes do nothing for these types of raid)

JavaWho

@tynan You inquired about killboxes.  As an extreme player and many killboxes made, I have always found them viable in mountain bases and non mountain bases until now.  Why waist the resources?  and to try and protect turrets all the way around your base may be a severe or impossible task depending on your map.   And as mentioned above drills have been changed.  I do like the change to the drills but nonetheless it is a change.  Though I do not use a killbox on everyone run, they are quite fun to build and should still be viable even in a non mountain base currently.  I think the difference i notice most .. is prior the raiders would try to take out your turrets, now they ignore them for the most part on an open base.

I have also found the difficulty of play has escalated, thus i swapped my run to check out the different levels.  I did not start on extreme play originally and therefore remember quite well how "some challenge", "rough" etc.. work.  I do feel "medium" has also been buffed, maybe too much.  I am not saying this on my account, but from a business point of view, those coming in fresh, if they cannot beat the game or have fun in medium, regardless if its a ship run or a long standing colony,  may just give up and that is where bad reviews start.  This is where they no longer tell there friends to purchase the game. 

I have purchased Rimworld for many, have encouraged the game.  I have been silent in the forums forever but as this is your final product and desire you to succeed I now write.  Please forgive me for my candor.

Greep

Quote from: Broken Reality on July 02, 2018, 05:15:19 PM
Quote from: Greep on July 02, 2018, 01:09:14 PM
Regarding killboxes, they've honestly only ever worked in mountains, it's just most notable now.

I've used killboxes (unturreted at first till researched and then hybrid turret + pawns) successfully in flat, small hills and large hills. Before if you killed the sappers targeting your walls ( or used psychic lances on them) then they would revert to standard raid tactics and thus run in to your kill box. Now they don't they just promote another raider to the role of sapper so they always tunnel in to your base avoiding the killbox. Also raids now often attack from multiple fronts (I even had a siege build two bases on me one north one south of my base).

As it is now in 1.0 unstable mountain bases got a massive buff. Infestations got a big nerf the only downside to a mountain base (if you can't stop them now that they give you time to evacuate the area of the infestation then I dunno what to say), and open field bases got a big nerf in the increase of sappers and drop pod raids at higher wealth levels making killboxes for those bases far less effective.

I worded that poorly about mountain bases and killboxes.  By "eventually" I meant like within 10 years heh.  Infestations could be gamed in b18 with really cheesey but effective ways.  Notably, they do not appear in rooms of size 15 or less, so you could make your entire fort in 4x3 rooms with 7x2 corridors. 

As for killboxes on the plains now, yeah there just is no point.  But my general cannon spam is going quite strong :D  They really are insane, in a good way.  I just killed 14 centipides with only mild assistance. 

[attachment deleted due to age]
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

JavaWho

Trees no longer being under roofs .. along with torches and passive coolers and campfires, not being able to suspend their refuel ... deserts you can plant trees, ice sheet and sea ice you cannot and are dependent upon traders.  I love playing on the ice .. have always used the rocky soil near a mountain or hill to plant a few trees.  Now not available at all.

A compromise .. A shrubbery/tree such as boxwood that could be grown indoors that would yield a fraction of the wood during harvest?