Recommend other good indie/early access games

Started by stefanstr, September 21, 2014, 12:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyNameIsSpyder

That Which Sleeps has officially gotten to the RWG ( Random World Generation ) stretch goal! Rejoice!

stefanstr

Quote from: MyNameIsSpyder on January 24, 2015, 09:12:51 PM
That Which Sleeps has officially gotten to the RWG ( Random World Generation ) stretch goal! Rejoice!

That’s old news... They finished their KS campaign a few months ago. I am a backer of this game at the Beta level. Their current release schedule for the Beta is somewhere in March. Whenever the Beta launches, I will update this thread with my opinions.

kic

Random comments thanks to this thread:

I'm glad to see people are liking Kenshi. I remember seeing that a long time ago on Steam and added it to my wishlist. I haven't followed it, but I may have to go check it out again as it sounds like it's right up my alley.

Also, I need to check out Survive the Nights as that also sounds like something I'd enjoy. I had actually been trying to remember the name of it since I stumbled onto it months ago and had since forgotten its name. So, thanks!

Just thought I'd throw some love to 7 Days to Die again. I know it's been mentioned a few times, but the last major update (alpha 10) added a fair bit of stuff and alpha 11 (another month or so) should also add several new systems that'll shake the game up.

StopGamer

My toplist
1. Project zomboid - loot, survive, craft. I find loot aspect rather fascinating. Also it has a lot of content and mechanics. Playable through multiplayer. For that one who finished vanilla there is a Hydrocraft super mod. Like RimWorlds Hardcore SK
2. Cataclysm DDA  - same as PZ, but 100 times more content and hardcore. Like Dwarf Fortress compared to RimWorld
3. Factorio - epic game. Main idea - you build factory that do all work for you. I like producing, belts here. And you have even trains and liquids here.
4. Kenshi - rimworld in 3d. Less content, but cool swords and stylish graphics/atmosphere. I like fights there and ability to travel across the world
5. Dwarf Fortress - king of colony building games. Unbeatable and unstoppable. Spend months of real time there.
6. [RIP] Gnomoria - one of the best DF with graphics
7. Shelterred - another loot and craft game. You have a base and get loot from expeditions.
8. Battle Brothers - cool mercenary simulator. Nothing with Rimworld, just waiting for Bannerlord)
9. Kerbal SP - cant play this (my best achievement to orbit Kerbal). But love to watch how my friend play this rocket science (literally)
10. Ark Survival - big 3d survival game. I like to breed and catch, and here you have Dinos! And you can ride them!And some of them can even fly! And Ships! And underwater! And dungeons! And constant updates.
11. Rust - MMO survival. Nude, hardcore, brutal, unfriedly. When you feel that your life is too easy.
12. Dont Starve Together - cool game, more arcade survival with a lot of challenges. I dont like creepy atmosphere but cool to play with friends

Generally I found that better to skip all indie games that do not survive at least 2 years. Extended modder community is also good indicator of good indie game (Hardcore SK, Hydrocraft, Prophesy of Pendor, Bobs mod, KSP mods)

mumblemumble

might be considered less indie, but binding of isaac is pretty interesting : it is a blend of rogue like, legend of zelda style dungeons, and grotesqueness. Pretty challenging too.

Also, its not indie, but an oldie : original x-com ufo defense, on openxcom, with mods

... it does so much different than with most tactics games, having a suprising amount of flexibility and dynamics to it, to the point I really cannot enjoy the newer xcom. Its a lot to learn, mind but its worth it, bringing some of the most interesting tactical fights around.

I play with either xcom files (a mod), or piratez
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

b0rsuk

I support Fish Fillets - it may look a bit old, but it's a very good puzzle game with witty writing.

Catacomb Kids is a randomly generated platformer somewhat similar to Spelunky, except much harder. There's a crazy number of item, enemy and spell interactions. You can kill a sticky goo enemy, throw it at a wall to get an extra grip. Or throw it an enemy's face to blind it and make it run into lava. Or throw it at a trap to temporarily disable it. Unlike Spelunky, it supports many playstyles and has no ascension kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxDjQLKSC-g

Kegereneku

"SUBNAUTICA"
In short :
- underwater
- survival
- exploration
- building

A video say all :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ8I_JIFiDE

Info dump :
- I played it for 88hours and it had less features than it has now
- There's alas, no multiplayer. It was planned but dropped until launch at which point the dev said it would take a lot of work.
- How close it is to be complete ? Mid-may according to their roadmap
- Cost : "20buck" for now
- Fully compatible VR and that's one of the few game I would believe to make good use of it.
- there's a MECHA
To follow the development :
https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"TRANSPORT FEVER"
Aka : Transport Tycoon but with more realist train, more difficult, more rigid, still FUN.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/446800/

- Played it 66hours, only finished one of the two campaigns, didn't even start "free game" yet.
- Vehicles aren't ordered around individually, "lines" get used to, but it is much better than Transport Tycoon.
- The developer is coming back to give it a big UI improvement.
- it technically have less "feature" but the while rail-building & save money is  much harder.

"CHILDREN OF A DEAD EARTH"
aka "Most scientifically accurate SPACE WARFARE game created"

Trailers here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiIh4Xw2bnQ

This website do a better job talking about it, and about pretty much everything SF.
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/sealofapproval.php#id--Computer_Simulation
If you followed the link, I don't think you'll still be here reading this.

Info dump
- The tutorial phase is surprisingly good, but that's like a nice trek before discovering the Himalaya behind.
- Ship are controlled by giving them simple order individually or by group, but you have to micromanage (patch are making them more intelligent)
- Haven't been playing a lot, but that's because I waited some UI improvement (half of which are in now) and simply didn't get back yet.
- This is NOT MULTIPLAYER, part because you need timewarp to do anything and then because you could only play it with friends like Wernher vaun Brown

"ARK SURVIVAL EVOLVED"
Aka : fight dinosaur, ride atop dinosaur, kill stuff using dinosaur, build base with dinosaur, eventually make power-armor...for dinosaur, and shark, yes LASER SHARK.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/

I don't think you actually needed me to hear about it so I'll just leave you info that you don't get at first glance

- The physics is alas pretty simple, Dinosaur drive a little like car that bite. However the immersion is still excellent once you know how to maneuver properly.
- It's MULTIPLAYER at its core. It's playable alone but every game mechanic are made to encourage teamplay. It's kind of hard to fight  Dinosaur with sling and spear.
- You can create a private server, but unless it's dedicated your friends can't get far away from you.
- Developers hinted at solo-focused contents but...
- Developers produce a LOT of crazy cool new features but...
- Features and new dinosaur keep coming like it will never end but...

...it will take a while before everything converge into something more organic. (see physics)
(technically it will soon stop being Early access)

"SPINTIRES"

Exactly what it look like : Drive big trucks in MUD
http://store.steampowered.com/app/263280/

info dump :
- It's pretty short but multiplayers (4 persons)
- It ask you to make your own challenge after a while (and try fanmade map)
- Please assume that update stopped completely, even if the dead forum tell you one is coming.
- You'll still wish the development didn't looked dead.
(the main developers insist something big is coming)

Dropping some few other good things that you probably already know about if you use the "Explore" feature of STEAM.

"CHROMA SQUAD"
aka : turn by turn power ranger making sentai series

"FACTORIO"
Aka : build factory lines, and consume more and more resources per second
(multiplayers, have a free demo)
Don't wait for a "sale", the developers said they'll never do one.

"RIMWORLD"
A very good game ab ...wait a second, nevermind.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !