Fine and Lavish Meals

Started by Barley, March 16, 2016, 02:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barley

Has anyone been able to supply their colony with nothing but Fine and/or Lavish meals? Most of the time a simple meal seems to suffice and people stick with that, but sometimes I like to try and give my colonists a permanent mood buff by switching over. I think it's ever worked...twice, I think? That said, I still don't know if eggs or milk count as meat for fine meals.

Anyways, how many of you have managed to make Fine meals a staple, rather than a luxury?

SadisticNemesis

Quote from: Barley on March 16, 2016, 02:12:52 PM
Has anyone been able to supply their colony with nothing but Fine and/or Lavish meals? Most of the time a simple meal seems to suffice and people stick with that, but sometimes I like to try and give my colonists a permanent mood buff by switching over. I think it's ever worked...twice, I think? That said, I still don't know if eggs or milk count as meat for fine meals.

Anyways, how many of you have managed to make Fine meals a staple, rather than a luxury?

If I'm right I think eggs count as meat, not sure about milk.

I've never once managed to make it work fully as I'm always in tundra's and mod far to heavily to have a colony last more than 2 years but yeah... simple meals tend to be enough. Fine and lavish use up far to much of My food supply that I wouldn't live through the harsh winter... but again I don't stay with one colony long enough to fully test the worth. might do with the next update though.

Mikhail Reign

Eggs count. Milk is a vegetable.

Barley

Quote from: SadisticNemesis on March 16, 2016, 02:28:01 PM

If I'm right I think eggs count as meat, not sure about milk.

I've never once managed to make it work fully as I'm always in tundra's and mod far to heavily to have a colony last more than 2 years but yeah... simple meals tend to be enough. Fine and lavish use up far to much of My food supply that I wouldn't live through the harsh winter... but again I don't stay with one colony long enough to fully test the worth. might do with the next update though.

Worth noting that both simple and fine meals both use 10 ingredients. The Fine Meal just needs 5 of the ingredients to be meat and 5 to be vegetable, whereas the simple can be any combination of vegetable and meat. Lavish requires a whopping 20 ingredients, though and fine and lavish meals both take longer to prepare.

Shurp

It's easy to keep your colony stocked with fine meals if you get enough warg and elephant manhunter packs :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

jzero

I have nothing to contribute here because most of my colonies are pits of insanity and despair but I would like to welcome Sumail here to the forums. This is a good place

(and I just noticed this is my 400th post so yay)
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

Devon_v

My current colony was pure fine until the volcanic winter happened. It's been winter for almost a year now, and the veggies ran out long ago. Currently working on indoor farming, but it's gated behind a ton of stuff in Hardcore SK.

It's not hard at all, just grow plenty of veggies and wait for manhunters to deliver themselves to your door.

Daman453

I don't use fine or lavish meals because of no supply of meat,  too lazy to add the meat plant mod
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

Mikhail Reign

There is a manager mod that I use for meat. Automates hunting to keep meat at a certain level. Can be restricted to certain areas/animals. Worlds useful.

cultist

I don't see any reason not to make fine meals if you have the resources. The cost is the same, and it's a free mood boost (which hangs around for a while IIRC). Sure, takes much longer to cook. But once your colony reaches a certain size, you'll want to have a dedicated cook anyway. Assuming you're not trying to survive somewhere with no food (like ice sheet).

The only real point of lavish meals are the mood boost. But because of the insane amount of time it takes to make them, you kind of need to have them in stock rather than produce them when they are needed. A colony with a super-effective bionic cook and year-round growing + lots of animals (essentially just shrubland and possibly jungle and temp. forest) could possibly live off nothing but lavish meals - but the whole thing is kind of resource intensive and serves little point.