[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirite

@KageNoOni
Hum, interesting. The crash is probably related to the new feature of detecting incompatible mods on startup, I'll have to take a look. I also want to add joy activities for parents and babies in v0.1k- should be fairly easy now that I've gotten the hang of job drivers.

Hydromancerx

I too have the game crash if i make a new world with this mod. If i disable it it works fine to make a new world. Also saved game work fine with the mod. Only world creation for some reason. note i use v0.1j

Tammabanana

Quote from: Thirite on February 19, 2017, 06:51:06 PM
@KageNoOni
Hum, interesting. The crash is probably related to the new feature of detecting incompatible mods on startup, I'll have to take a look. I also want to add joy activities for parents and babies in v0.1k- should be fairly easy now that I've gotten the hang of job drivers.

For reference, v0.1j didn't crash for me during the creation of a new game. I modded up heavily - avoided mods I knew/thought might be incompatible, but I'm not knowledgeable on C# incompatibility, so it's possible I guessed wrong. But I didn't get any errors displayed about incompatibility.

I threw out Psychology from my mod list this time around - I heard chatter about its recent update changing pawn types or something, which Alien Races' author was displeased about for compatibility, so I speculated it might not play nice with Children anymore?

(Also, I decided that I much prefer Romance Diversified/Rumours & Deception's social interaction systems to Psychology's new ones. Also, interaction with Romance Diversified (I think): my 13-year-old is hitting on the adults left and right, and he is so bummed that none of them will sleep with him. It's hilarious.)
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Thirite

@Tammabanana
Yeah that sounds like a typical teenage boy. Hahaha

patomlv

A question, is it necessary to recreate a saved or not?

Thirite

Should work just fine on existing saves, as long as it doesn't meet any incompatible mods.

Rimrue

I installed this mod (my first for the game!) and really love it. But I am having a problem where wardens won't deliver food to prisoner children. :/ I am running the new set up camp and camping stuff mods too. So not sure if that is causing the conflict?

Also please don't change it so children never spawn in raids. Just perhaps reduce the chances of them spawning as raiders? My best colonists are 10-12 yr olds I've captured from raiders. LOL

Also, I haven't yet had any babies (I finally have one pg colonist) but I'm not sure if the textbooks are even necessary? My kids are already experts in their passion areas after only 2 yrs. Unless they are intended to work in conjunction with the growth vat? But then wouldn't the neurotrainer that already exists in the game work just as well?

Thanks for a great mod. I am really enjoying it. I don't think I will ever go back to vanilla after this. :)

Rue

Thirite

Interesting feedback! I do plan to add skillbooks just as a way to get their skills up from zero to five or so, but that's surprising that they gain skill xp that quickly. Out of curiosity, are you using the Mad Skills mod to remove skill degradation? I don't think I'll completely remove children from raids, but I want to tweak it to make a bit more sense. Child soldiers certainly are a thing after all.

Jstank

On the gaining XP very quickly point, is there a way to change their passions mid life cycle. Babies and young children's brains are like sponges and so I think that form the moment they become full colonists untill maybe 6 years old they should have double burning passions in all categories. After they turn 6 they should have passions and double passions in their highest skills, and if they say never touched a stove have no passion in cooking.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Rimrue

Quote from: Thirite on February 22, 2017, 09:22:24 PM
Interesting feedback! I do plan to add skillbooks just as a way to get their skills up from zero to five or so, but that's surprising that they gain skill xp that quickly. Out of curiosity, are you using the Mad Skills mod to remove skill degradation? I don't think I'll completely remove children from raids, but I want to tweak it to make a bit more sense. Child soldiers certainly are a thing after all.

Nope. Only mods I'm running are the ones I mentioned. To be fair, for probably the first year I had all of 2 adults and the rest were kids. So they had to pull their weight earlier than they should've had to. LOL But I found they levelled up in their passion areas as least as fast as the adults did. If I recall correctly, they started off in the 1-4 skills range when I got them. But for passions it takes no time to level up those first few levels at all. Now they are experts and I even have a growing master. She lost her foot to frag grenades in a raid when she was 10, so she's restricted to home base and pretty much just gardens all day. She should be 13 soon. One of my other kids just turned 13. Like I said, I really am enjoying this mod. LOL

But if you could fix the glitch where the kid prisoners don't get fed that would be great. If they are injured or incapacitated the wardens will feed them, but not if they are healthy. I can't even prioritize them to do it. :/

Thanks!

Rue

Tammabanana

Quote from: Jstank on February 22, 2017, 11:21:43 PM
Babies and young children's brains are like sponges and so I think that form the moment they become full colonists untill maybe 6 years old they should have double burning passions in all categories.

That doesn't sound realistic to me. Children display extremely strong opinions on what they're interested in and what they're not very, very early. I've been able to tell since like 6-9 months old that my elder child has zero interest in music and double burning passion in (lego) construction, and this remains true 7 years later.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Kolljak

About to run a serverly modded run threw gona test if SS[Advanced bodies] rimworld mod conflicts.

Also putting this mod fairly low on the load order will cause it to overwrite other mods. such as facial stuff and worlds w/o hate lower on the list means everything above it is lower on the priority load. tho i dont want kids with beards.

Bob Roberts

I really love this mod.  I run it with a lot of other mods, and though I get weird periodic slowdowns, moreso as my game progresses, that's not what I'm posting about today.

Female pawns need a longer break after giving birth before they're fertile again.  Babies should be spaced out 2-3 years.  Maybe, after giving birth, give the mother a "Breastfeeding" condition to her torso, which (randomly lasts anywhere from two seasons to three years?  Then it goes away and she can conceive again.  This is a simplification from the real world, but I think it would serve the mod well.

Thanks for making this very cool mod!

PS: I really like having kids in raids and trade groups.  It adds to the story, and they're the only pawns I go out of my way to rescue and recruit (and then launch, if I'm able).  Poor kids need to have a chance at a better life.

Dragoon

Quote from: Bob Roberts on February 24, 2017, 02:50:46 PM
I really love this mod.  I run it with a lot of other mods, and though I get weird periodic slowdowns, moreso as my game progresses, that's not what I'm posting about today.

Female pawns need a longer break after giving birth before they're fertile again.  Babies should be spaced out 2-3 years.  Maybe, after giving birth, give the mother a "Breastfeeding" condition to her torso, which (randomly lasts anywhere from two seasons to three years?  Then it goes away and she can conceive again.  This is a simplification from the real world, but I think it would serve the mod well.

Thanks for making this very cool mod!

PS: I really like having kids in raids and trade groups.  It adds to the story, and they're the only pawns I go out of my way to rescue and recruit (and then launch, if I'm able).  Poor kids need to have a chance at a better life.

I disagree many moms have kids back to back (one year apart.) I don't think there needs to be additional spacing, other than how much spacing there is.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Bob Roberts

Quote from: Dragoon on February 24, 2017, 03:46:14 PMI disagree many moms have kids back to back (one year apart.) I don't think there needs to be additional spacing, other than how much spacing there is.

"Irish twins" ie, children a year apart, are not as common as you think, Dragoon.

I did more thinking and it would be fine if the infertile time was between no time at all and three years.  It could be applied like a drug, systemically, with a very long timer.  That would work very well.