Pumps and balance

Started by Listy, September 30, 2016, 03:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listy

The much loved fertiliser Moisture pump has returned! And I thought that it'd be fun to try them out, so a I rolled a Arctic forest as that has the highest chance of swamping itself....

My first observation was that they take far too long. You either need colossal amounts of them to make any headway, or you're gong to be waiting a very very long time. After being on the rock for a year its still taking forever to make even remote amount of headway, and the construction and up keep cost is quite punishing for a colony.

So could we speed it up? Maybe half as long, or even only a quarter?

Listy

Also just noticed there's no toggle power option. So I've now over extended myself on power, and I either loose pump progress and resources by dismantling them, or leave them in place.

Serenity

I have 1 geothermal + 2 wind + 3 solar and run 2 sun lamps and maybe 5 pumps without issue. Batteries are always full. I use the day/night switch mod to turn off the sunlamps at night, so that helps.

If you want to turn off the pumps use a power switch maybe.

JuicyPVP

Quote from: Serenity on September 30, 2016, 09:29:25 AM
If you want to turn off the pumps use a power switch maybe.

The 1 component cost can be horrible for a colony pre-component making tech/bench, but otherwise this is the best way. I use power switches for several things including my turrets, and a room of back-up batteries that I keep full, and disconnected via switch. (I run no mods atm)

Serenity

I don't know why people have such issues with components in the early game. I get plenty of components from mining, dissembling mechanoids, crashed ship parts (they give lots of components) and just buying them.

JuicyPVP

Quote from: Serenity on September 30, 2016, 11:20:14 AM
crashed ship parts (they give lots of components)

... ... ... ... ... ... ... Guess how many hours in until I figured out I could do that? lol. I'm guessing I'm not alone in ignoring this weird green black destroyed trash looking junky thing. And I only found out because I google searched for 30 minutes about how to get more components, and it was a side note on an article about component construction research.

stu89pid

Quote from: JuicyPVP on September 30, 2016, 11:28:06 AM
Quote from: Serenity on September 30, 2016, 11:20:14 AM
crashed ship parts (they give lots of components)

... ... ... ... ... ... ... Guess how many hours in until I figured out I could do that? lol. I'm guessing I'm not alone in ignoring this weird green black destroyed trash looking junky thing. And I only found out because I google searched for 30 minutes about how to get more components, and it was a side note on an article about component construction research.

Haha, Same here! My first 2-3 playthroughs did not go well, and I always left the ship parts laying around assuming I would need them to construct my ship to take off. Turns out they are a quick easy source of steel and components! Sweet deal.

stu89pid

I definitely think that doubling their productiveness would not be game breaking at all and make them useful enough to build on a more regular basis.

Of all my colonies with water/marsh problems, I only build a moisture pump once, purely for aesthetics because I didn't want my base to have a weird outlet of wall where it would have had to go around the water.

Serenity

I've only used them once before when I uncovered a marshy area in a mountain and needed to drain part of a bedroom. And yeah, it took an extremely long time.

This is the first time I'm using them on a large scale because I have lots of marsh in my base and could use more room.