Snowmen extended or how to deal with junk.

Started by betoid, November 30, 2017, 12:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

betoid

Too many raids left tons of tunics/knives/useless junk?
You want to get rid of those 2 blocks of granite that are stuck on your storage?
And on top of all you have no crematorium?

Just stick it (in)to the (snow)man!
-Set items that are considered junk in a special menu
-Determine what pawns will do with that junk - burn, throw somewhere away or just leave it outside
-If no junk settings were changed, but the list of junk was considered - pawns will move it away to deteriorate in a random place outside of home zone.

As a bonus:
-If there is snow outside pawns will use junk items to enhance the snowmen, giving them beauty bonus. The used items are stuck inside the snowman and cannot be used until the snowman is broken.
-Corpses also may be used to build a snowman.

Optional:
-Allow pawns to make holes where they throw away junk and dig it down. Similiar to graves, but for items.
-Burn down items in a fireplace. Items that contain metal may leave small amounts of it.

SpaceDorf

Except for the Snowman Idea and the trashcan, which are pretty neat, everything else is allready in the game.

You can burn apparel in the fireplace,

Weapons and Clothes rot away when left outside, so you can create a stockpile for deadman stuff, or just leave it where it drops.

Non Rotting Stuff like blocks you can still sell.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

betoid

Quote from: SpaceDorf on December 01, 2017, 06:23:43 AM

Weapons and Clothes rot away when left outside, so you can create a stockpile for deadman stuff, or just leave it where it drops.

Well, I didn't know about fireplace. And about things left outside - I know about it too, but I don't want to manage the special storage for it. Why should I care where some unneeded stuff is placed?

And the non rotting stuff may stay in your stock for a very long time until somebody buys it.

iota_x

Learn the micro. Love the micro. Storage zones OP.  8)

That said, I don't know how Tynan could implement snowpeople (please, not always snow'men') having accesories, but I love it! Also, the added mood gain. If I was a rimworlder I'd love a fully dressed and armed with shoddy weapons snowperson  ;D

betoid

Quote from: iota_x on December 01, 2017, 12:38:02 PM
Learn the micro. Love the micro. Storage zones OP.  8)

That said, I don't know how Tynan could implement snowpeople (please, not always snow'men') having accesories, but I love it! Also, the added mood gain. If I was a rimworlder I'd love a fully dressed and armed with shoddy weapons snowperson  ;D

Don't put that gender thing to a piece of VIRTUAL snow :D
Also dressed up snowmen could be used a decoys, because...well..they even may smell human for animals.

Guluere

Quote from: SpaceDorf on December 01, 2017, 06:23:43 AM
Except for the Snowman Idea and the trashcan, which are pretty neat, everything else is allready in the game.

Like he said, you can already get rid of most stuff at the start of the game by leaving them outside.

Call me Arty

Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Scrabbling

Quote from: Guluere on December 04, 2017, 12:25:44 PM
Like he said, you can already get rid of most stuff at the start of the game by leaving them outside.

The problem starts when the stuff you want to get rid off is already in your base / your stockpiles. To make it deteriorate you have to create additional stockpiles outside. And you have to hope that you can tune the stockpile settings fine enough that only the stuff you want to destroy gets hauled there.

Example: I want to destroy all dead man's apparel except for items made of devilstrand, synthread and hyperweave because even at 10 % those items generate a decent profit. All dead man's apparel is already in some stockpile(s). Right now I have to forbid all the devilstrand, synthread and hyperweave stuff, then make a stockpile somewhere outside and haul all D-apparel (except the forbidden items) there.

If instead I had a Dwarf-Fortress-like D = Dump option I can mark explicit items (or stack of items) as garbage without bothering with stockpile setting and/or forbid.

IMO this is no desperately needed feature but it could come in handy every now and then and would extend the options/workarounds that are available atm.

Sbilko

Just call a caravan and sell your dead-man apparel and useless stone blocks.

And if you want to get rid of something you can't sell, like stones or corpses, then work them out and make money out of them. For example, you can turn stones into stone blocks and sell them. And you can butcher corpses and sell the meat, or just burn them. The choice is yours!

Guluere

Quote from: Call me Arty on December 04, 2017, 03:22:53 PM
*Ahem*
Scarecrows that scare away animals.

Man, I wish you would stop remaking a suggestion, I already made.