[A9] Biodiversity v3.0 A9 Don't Bug Out! Mar. 09, 2015

Started by Igabod, January 22, 2015, 01:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

I have now figured out the custom body parts and all that so I figured I'd go ahead and release a quick update that just changes Snorks so that they no longer have those silly hooves but have flippers instead.

And I also got permission from Kirid to integrate Alpha Muffalo into this mod. So now you no longer need a compatibility patch for that mod. I've also made the alphas slightly aggressive if you get up in their business. So remember to admire them from afar unless you are ready to run or defend yourself.

Not many changes for this update, but I figured you would all want the aggressive Alphalo and proper Snork bodies A.S.A.P. I'll get to work on doing the rest of the body types and adding in the new critters that I have waiting within the next week. I have a lot of things going on IRL right now so I can't promise you any earlier than 7 days from now, but I'll try and squeeze in some time to work on it and hopefully get another update out before the end of that 7 days.

BE SURE TO DELETE THE OLD MOD FOLDER BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW ONE!

Giraffe

At last the alpha muffalos are more than just extra fluff. I really hope they can OHKO colonists like centipedes do.

Igabod

Quote from: Giraffe on January 30, 2015, 11:59:00 PM
At last the alpha muffalos are more than just extra fluff. I really hope they can OHKO colonists like centipedes do.

The alphalos are exactly the same as they are in Kirid's mod except I added the aggression code onto them. I'll probably be doing a balance of all the animals strengths soon if not in the next update though so that may change.

Lord Fappington

Quote from: Igabod on January 31, 2015, 07:22:08 AM

The alphalos are exactly the same as they are in Kirid's mod except I added the aggression code onto them. I'll probably be doing a balance of all the animals strengths soon if not in the next update though so that may change.

I've made your sounds, check em out!!

Download from Dropbox

Igabod

Quote from: Lord Fappington on January 31, 2015, 04:54:27 PM
Quote from: Igabod on January 31, 2015, 07:22:08 AM

I've made your sounds, check em out!!

Download from Dropbox

Wow thanks, unfortunately the download link is bad.

Giraffe

Would it be possible to make wild boars hostile as well, or is modding vanilla units out of the question?

If the latter, there's always those giant quad tusk boars you see in the tabloids.

Also, I see you mentioned some sort of corpse removing creature for the future of the mod-- I remember hearing that certain lizards like the komodo dragon eat carrion(temperate), also certain beetle species(arid), as well as raccoons & foxes(tundra).

Igabod

Quote from: Lord Fappington on January 31, 2015, 09:52:49 PM
Quote from: Igabod on January 31, 2015, 06:43:50 PM

sorry about the dead link, try

Dropbox Download

Thanks for the sounds. I might have a go at cleaning some of them up a little, there is some background static that was really noticeable in some of them. And in snork2.wav there is what sounds like a female person saying something in the background, possibly saying snork. But even with those issues you've saved me a fair bit of work. Thanks.

Quote from: Giraffe on January 31, 2015, 10:20:43 PM
Would it be possible to make wild boars hostile as well, or is modding vanilla units out of the question?

If the latter, there's always those giant quad tusk boars you see in the tabloids.

Also, I see you mentioned some sort of corpse removing creature for the future of the mod-- I remember hearing that certain lizards like the komodo dragon eat carrion(temperate), also certain beetle species(arid), as well as raccoons & foxes(tundra).

I have been considering adding the aggression code onto some of the vanilla animals but haven't come to a decision on that just yet. I'd be overwriting the vanilla defs so it would be incompatible with anything else that does anything with them, but I am unaware of any mods that do anything like that so that probably won't be a big issue. I'm leaning more toward a yes on that at this moment but won't promise it just yet.

As for the new quad tusk boar idea, that's not a bad suggestion. I may even be able to do the texture for it myself just by editing the vanilla boar texture a bit. I'll take a whack at it and if it comes out good then you'll definitely see them in the future. Otherwise I'll have to rely on a better artist to provide textures. I'm half-decent at trees, but all of my attempts at animals have just sucked completely. Which is why none of the art in this mod was done by me. This has turned into a collaboration mod between a lot of different people and I love that. I would be even happier to add more people to the list of collaborators too, so if you have any good textures or something just let me know.

Lord Fappington

Quote from: Igabod on January 31, 2015, 10:43:21 PM
Quote from: Lord Fappington on January 31, 2015, 09:52:49 PM
Quote from: Igabod on January 31, 2015, 06:43:50 PM

sorry about the dead link, try

Dropbox Download

Thanks for the sounds. I might have a go at cleaning some of them up a little, there is some background static that was really noticeable in some of them. And in snork2.wav there is what sounds like a female person saying something in the background, possibly saying snork. But even with those issues you've saved me a fair bit of work. Thanks.

NP, best of luck; hope I make the credits :)

Also, thanks for your suggestions on my mod-- I had actually already begun trait dependant reactions to "romance" in 0.5.  The mod in general is pretty silly, but I designed it more as a good way to touch a lot of the games systems and it seemed to be something people asked for.

My main mod I really want to work on is adding a relationship web where people have affinities to one another that really add a layer to the story.  For example, if somoene rescued you on the battlefield, or made you boots or something, you'd like them more.  Therefore, if they died you'd be sad, or if you shared a room you wouldn't have the "shared room" debuff.

I'm hoping to start working on that once A9 drops since it'll shake up a lot of the C# code anyways

Igabod

Quote from: Lord Fappington on January 31, 2015, 11:00:48 PM
NP, best of luck; hope I make the credits :)

Also, thanks for your suggestions on my mod-- I had actually already begun trait dependant reactions to "romance" in 0.5.  The mod in general is pretty silly, but I designed it more as a good way to touch a lot of the games systems and it seemed to be something people asked for.

My main mod I really want to work on is adding a relationship web where people have affinities to one another that really add a layer to the story.  For example, if somoene rescued you on the battlefield, or made you boots or something, you'd like them more.  Therefore, if they died you'd be sad, or if you shared a room you wouldn't have the "shared room" debuff.

I'm hoping to start working on that once A9 drops since it'll shake up a lot of the C# code anyways

As soon as I plug the sounds in to the mod you'll be added to the credits for sure.

I'm most interested in the no "shared room" debuff for colonists sharing rooms with other colonists they like. More development of friendship style relationships is more interesting to me than the "romance" side of things.

And for a preview of my attempt at the new evolved form of the wildboars (or Quadhog as I'm calling it based on a friend's suggestion) check the attachments. I plan on doing a lot more editing of this before the final product, and I have only done the front view so far. I'll also attach the vanilla wild boar that it is based off of for comparison.

[edit to add] I also got a quick mock-up of the side view done. Again, heavy editing will still take place with this. And the vanilla version is also included.

[edit again to add] The back view. This probably won't see too much more editing since it's so simple.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Giraffe

That Quadhog is both terrifying and awesome. Well done. But if I could posit a minor critique, I would say that both sets of tusks would look better a bit shorter more curved and set on the bottom jaw, sort of orc-like.

I must say though, the sort of bristly hair you have for the body texture is absolutely brilliant. Exactly what I imagined.

Igabod

Quote from: Giraffe on February 01, 2015, 12:28:11 AM
That Quadhog is both terrifying and awesome. Well done. But if I could posit a minor critique, I would say that both sets of tusks would look better a bit shorter and placed on the bottom jaw, sort of orc-like.

I must say though, the sort of bristly hair you have for the body texture is absolutely brilliant. Exactly what I imagined.

For the tusks I used warthogs for inspiration as for the length. And there isn't really a jaw on there. The tusks both come out from beside the nose in a general location near where the mouth would be if there was one. I'll work on improving the textures a bit before I put the animal in the game though so don't worry, I may end up shortening the tusks a bit and changing the curvature of them.

Sorry for the size of the pic. Didn't realize it was that large.

Giraffe

Pumba nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

But seriously, this mod is going to be essential for a long time. I foresee many a collaborator submitting new features and designs.

Igabod

Quote from: Giraffe on February 01, 2015, 12:51:44 AM
Pumba nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

But seriously, this mod is going to be essential for a long time. I foresee many a collaborator submitting new features and designs.

Lol. Timon got tired of Pumba always farting in his general direction.

But yeah I hope you're right. More collaboration is a good thing in the modding community.

Giraffe

Just got an event: "A local megaslug has gone mad and is attacking everyone it sees" etc.

I immediately thought of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4UFQWKjy_I and started laughing hysterically