[1.4] Call of Cthulhu - Rim of Madness Expansion Pack (10/21/2022)

Started by jecrell, September 14, 2016, 08:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mltdwn

First I love this mod, the ONLY problem I have with it is, due to Rimworld's balancing, it is nearly impossible to successfully play anywhere near a pure victorian game.  I wanted to challenge myself to play purely in a victorian setting and only use the victorian gear, but with the speed of rot, effects of heat, etc. you pretty much have to use things like air conditioners and the like to preserve your food.  Refridgerators help but they store so little that when you get several colonists you have to have entire walls lined with them it seems like.

jecrell

Quote from: mltdwn on May 03, 2017, 10:59:10 PM
First I love this mod, the ONLY problem I have with it is, due to Rimworld's balancing, it is nearly impossible to successfully play anywhere near a pure victorian game.  I wanted to challenge myself to play purely in a victorian setting and only use the victorian gear, but with the speed of rot, effects of heat, etc. you pretty much have to use things like air conditioners and the like to preserve your food.  Refridgerators help but they store so little that when you get several colonists you have to have entire walls lined with them it seems like.

Then I have no choice but to do something similar to quantum storage and allow multiple items to stack in a refrigerator to help you out.

I'll start updating for A17 tonight.
...Psst. Still there? If you'd like to support
me and my works, do check out my Patreon.
Someday, I could work for RimWorld full time!

https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

Canute

Instad of the HiTech-Quantum storages you can use Skully's extended storage.

But a special scenario (with mod if needed) to disallow anything what shouldn't fit in that scenario. That include mechanoids,power armor and others.
But i fear that will be nearly a total conversion.
I thought about to disallow the "Electricity" research, but that would made the game extrem difficult and need other mods (nopower communication) so it need to be more a modpack.

mltdwn

Quote from: Canute on May 04, 2017, 01:59:52 AM
Instad of the HiTech-Quantum storages you can use Skully's extended storage.

But a special scenario (with mod if needed) to disallow anything what shouldn't fit in that scenario. That include mechanoids,power armor and others.
But i fear that will be nearly a total conversion.
I thought about to disallow the "Electricity" research, but that would made the game extrem difficult and need other mods (nopower communication) so it need to be more a modpack.

Don't know that you need to get rid of the "Electricity" research.  While it is true it wasn't widely used until the 2nd industrial revolution Edison and Tesla were doing tons of things with it in the 1880s and onwards.  Edison had invented and was marketing/pushing the incandescent light bulb by 1880, and the British were doing it before him with the Arc lamp all the way back in 1835.  Maybe "electricity" and related projects should have a higher wealth value?

Though has anyone figured out a way to reliably make wax without having to wipe the entire map out of creatures while essentially living on a Vegan diet?  keep in mind I've only played about 10-12 hours with the mods and more in a relaxed sense so I haven't exactly put a lot of thought into it myself.  Just thought someone else may have come up with it first. 

Oh and Je I both love and hate the difficulty of the Lovecraft Storyteller.  He is fantastic and even in the most brutal times creates tremendous stories.  Had one instance when I came under siege from across the map, so send my people out to handle it.  We kill them, survive and start heading back to base.  Halfway back a wall to an ancient threat that was part of our base busted down and 4 guys who had been in cryo-sleep come out... Well crap now I have to deal with them.  Get back to base and start dealing with them and 3 Mechanoids come lumbering out... Well damn, ok I'll handle them.  Get them all killed and up pops a hive in the ancient threat.  Kill the spiders and the hive and breathe easy.  My guys are beaten and bloody but nothing we can't handle.  Start patching everyone up, they get to bed and half way into the night a part of a poison ship drops right into the middle of my complex.... Swear to God I don't know what I did to anger good ole HP but he is apparently out to get me.  I just love it.  Also had a couple get married, the day after the wedding the new husband and the wife of another man both come down with the plague and both are dead withn 2 days.  The day after they are buried the wife that lost her husband to the plague and the husband of the woman that also died of the plague become lovers.... I really wonder if it was truly a plague that took them, or perhaps some poisoning to make it look like the plague.

Andervall

Awesome mod! Loving it so far! Though I have ran into a little problem. Slowly the "Cult Mindedness" of my colony have gone down and now they beat up the few people who are in the cult. Is there a way to slowly corrupt the unbelievers?

mltdwn

Quote from: Andervall on May 04, 2017, 04:34:19 PM
Awesome mod! Loving it so far! Though I have ran into a little problem. Slowly the "Cult Mindedness" of my colony have gone down and now they beat up the few people who are in the cult. Is there a way to slowly corrupt the unbelievers?

I want to say building an Altar and having daily sermons, combined with the research of Successful Cult Leaders... If all else fails you can just beat them up, knock them out, capture them and then you have your sacrifices.  I actually did that to a dullard who could only shoot and was incapable of anything but, and his pyromaniac mother because.... well he was largely useless and she started fires all the freakin time.  She might as well have lived in a straight jacket.  That's just the price one has to pay to serve a GOO.

Which reminds me.  It would be nice if we could capture people and then put THEM in straight jackets rather than only being able to force it on our own colonists.

Andervall

Quote from: mltdwn on May 04, 2017, 05:09:44 PM
Quote from: Andervall on May 04, 2017, 04:34:19 PM

I want to say building an Altar and having daily sermons, combined with the research of Successful Cult Leaders... If all else fails you can just beat them up, knock them out, capture them and then you have your sacrifices.  I actually did that to a dullard who could only shoot and was incapable of anything but, and his pyromaniac mother because.... well he was largely useless and she started fires all the freakin time.  She might as well have lived in a straight jacket.  That's just the price one has to pay to serve a GOO.

Which reminds me.  It would be nice if we could capture people and then put THEM in straight jackets rather than only being able to force it on our own colonists.

The problem is that when I try to hold a sermon the majority of my colony beats up the preacher :(

Canute

Looks like your whole colony went over the the Agency ! :-)

Stop the sermons for a while.
Try to aquire some occult books to build more research tables.
Research the Succesful cults with pawn with low cult rating.
Once half of the colony is initited at the cult again, you can start sermons again.

jecrell

Quote from: faltonico on May 05, 2017, 10:14:03 PM
Good larva!

Aren't they just the cutest? Spoonshortage's artwork.

Also, Cosmic Horrors is working on A17 if you all are interested in checking it out on GitHub.
https://github.com/jecrell/Call-of-Cthulhu---Cosmic-Horrors

Elodie

Is it just me or do Cthulids have ridiculous amounts of blast resistance? Some 40 or so attacked my base today and ate eight salvos of mortars/missiles each before getting into range of my bigger direct-fire guns lol.

faltonico

Quote from: jecrell on May 07, 2017, 11:24:13 AM

Also, Cosmic Horrors is working on A17 if you all are interested in checking it out on GitHub.
They are very very loud though xD
Another reason to keep prisoners around =3

jecrell

Quote from: faltonico on May 07, 2017, 09:31:19 PM
Quote from: jecrell on May 07, 2017, 11:24:13 AM

They are very very loud though xD
Another reason to keep prisoners around =3

I adjusted their screaming frequencies a bit for A17. They are a bit too chatty for my taste, haha.

faltonico

Some feedback before i go.
- Boost the immunity gain speed of the cosmic horrors, boost it a lot, so they don't die from scratches.
- You could make the dark youngs be incredibly hungry, so they basically wipe your map from wildlife and then hunt your colonists, that would force players to take them out asap.
- All the horrors AI seem to focus on doors when attacking (deep ones mostly), would it be possible to have them have different attack patterns? I know you probably made them that way so they can avoid going trough open paths, that are usually kill boxes, but if you use embrasures they are not a threat at all.
- I may be seasoned player, but i don't find star vampires to be threatening at all with the latest updates, but i know it is hard to find a balance for that threat, because either you have a killing machine that can wipe out half of your colony or have a minor inconvenience in your pawns daily occurrences. I'll leave that to you to decide how to handle it xD

I only used the cosmic horrors mod and i'm grateful for it, i find it so disheartening that that mod is the only thing that made playing Rimworld feel like you actually were in another planet.

Edit: Another thing..
- Cthonians, make so they attack or become berserk when their sinkhole is destroyed or damaged... i took out several of those by just shelling its hole until i destroyed it and then the Cthoninan died of starvation or infection =s

Canute

Quote- Boost the immunity gain speed of the cosmic horrors, boost it a lot, so they don't die from scratches.
I don't think so, they comes from another plain. They aren't very prepared to the illness from this plain.
And normaly they don't live long enough anyway that it matter, except you tamed some or got some from sacrifices.

Quote- You could make the dark youngs be incredibly hungry, so they basically wipe your map from wildlife and then hunt your colonists, that would force players to take them out asap.
I think they are hungry enough, but maybe change their favoured food to human corpse/meat.
The only annoying thing are, when they hunt pawn's they arn't marked as enemy, drafted pawns/turrets ignore them.

Quote- All the horrors AI seem to focus on doors when attacking (deep ones mostly), would it be possible to have them have different attack patterns? I know you probably made them that way so they can avoid going trough open paths, that are usually kill boxes, but if you use embrasures they are not a threat at all.
What do you await ? Embrasures arn't balanced for the current AI gamemechanic. Why do you think Tynan added the sappers ?
Maybe jecrell can made them sapper too, and give their claws a damage bonus against structures. Then they would demolish any structures on their way and force you to move out of your defence.

Quote- I may be seasoned player, but i don't find star vampires to be threatening at all with the latest updates,
They never was a big threat. Only when you didn't notice the laughing and they sneak hidden into your colony they can cause some trouble.

Quote- Cthonians, make so they attack or become berserk when their sinkhole is destroyed or damaged
Must be a bug at the latest version, they allways came out for me when i tryed to close or attacked the hole.