One Big Addition/Change You Would Make

Started by LuceLumin, August 27, 2016, 12:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LuceLumin

If there was one big addition or change to the game in its current state that you could instantly make happen, what would it be?

For me, I would add the ability to give colonists time-based schedules. Have the ability to adjust how long the colonists work, rest, and sleep, with mood bonuses or penalties based on how long they have to work, or how much free time they get to take part in social activities. Maybe go so far as to implement a week system so that you can have colonist X do Y amount of work a certain number of days per week cycle, with maybe a research upgrade to find tune what jobs specifically they do when, as something like "enhanced efficiency" as the research title.

asanbr

Half of your suggestion is already in the game. Look at the "Restrictions" tab.

Mine would be: Being able to adjust the game speed when attacked so I don't have to suffer the 10-20 seconds of low game speed without choice.

LuceLumin

Well, the advanced parts of my suggestion still apply :P
Thanks for the tip though haha

NolanSyKinsley

I would like time based priorities. It is really difficult to have one pawn work two jobs without massive inefficiency due to them bouncing from one job to another, and spending most of their time walking around.

For example; I want a pawn to both be a gardener and a cook, right now if I run out of food, the cook will go out, harvest a plant, grab the food then go cook one meal, then he will go harvest a plant, and on and on. Being able to say "Do gardening from waking to noon and cooking from noon to evening joy time" would be simply amazing.

Basically it would just be a second/third priorities tab, and then in the restriction tab you could say work1 and work2 to define which priority set they use during that time.

Pax_Empyrean

You guys need to get the improved work tab mod. It lets you set different work priorities at different times of the day, along with a bunch of other cenvenient features like sorting colonists by skill at a particular job, and splitting up the various jobs into sub jobs, so you could have your unskilled colonists haul materials to a building site but only allow the skilled builder to work on the building, or have anybody bring meals to patients and let moderately skilled doctors patch up wounds, but only have your best doctor perform surgeries.

My big change would be the ability to export colonists for use elsewhere. The possible applications for this are huge; you could take off from your planet and start a new colony with the same group. You could use it to temporarily load up another map with an enemy base, raid them, and then return with whatever you could carry. You could scatter your colonists away from a failed colony and have them show up as visitors or wanderers in future colonies. All we'd need to make all of this possible is the ability to tell the game to "remember this dude."

NolanSyKinsley

That is one thing I hate about making suggestions, everyone just goes "get this mod!" we aren't looking for mods, we are suggesting things we would like to see in the base game so we don't have to go mod shopping to do simple things.

Mod authors stop updating mods, or it changes maintainers, or they don't update on time, or they make changes you don't like. We are suggesting these things so that they will be in the base game, stably, permanently, and without relying on a third party.

Pax_Empyrean

You do realize that there is a thread for people to nominate mods to be added to the base game, right? And that UI improvements have a relatively good chance of making it?

If you want to add the functionality of a particular mod into the game, that's the place to do it. If you bring up the lack of that functionality without seeming aware of the existence of a mod that provides exactly the thing you are looking for, then people recommending that mod is an appropriate response that most people appreciate. The OP wasn't even aware that half of his suggestion was already in the base game. If you've got a problem with people suggesting that because you don't like mods, then that's your problem.

Grishnerf

5 simple QoL (Quality of life) improvements :

1) Pawns can be assigned to crafting-tables. All workorders will only be done by the assigned Pawns. (example : 4 crafters only 1 table)
2) Let us copy/paste complete workorders to another crafting table. (example: building 6x crematorium having all the same workorders)
3) A hotkey to show/hide the workorder-tab on crafting tables. (example : press T to toggle the workorder-tab.)
4) Move the "tile" info in the bottom left to the bottom right. (example : while architect tab is open you cant see the tile info)
5) Let Pawns activate power Switches when they get forced to do it, without "us" needed turning it on/off before.

big Change :

1) raiding/exploring other worldmap-Locations/colonies
2) crash/spaceship Simulator (minigame til the new Crash and colony)
3) other planets (biomes/lifeforms)
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

NolanSyKinsley

Quote from: Pax_Empyrean on August 27, 2016, 04:37:17 AM
You do realize that there is a thread for people to nominate mods to be added to the base game, right? And that UI improvements have a relatively good chance of making it?

If you want to add the functionality of a particular mod into the game, that's the place to do it. If you bring up the lack of that functionality without seeming aware of the existence of a mod that provides exactly the thing you are looking for, then people recommending that mod is an appropriate response that most people appreciate. The OP wasn't even aware that half of his suggestion was already in the base game. If you've got a problem with people suggesting that because you don't like mods, then that's your problem.

I am new to the game, I don't know all the mods and I don't really use mods yet, and I shouldn't need to look through every mod out there before making a suggestion. I am just playing the game, and see something that is logically sound that I believe should be in the base game, so I suggest it. Still not looking for mod suggestions, so please, knock that off. Just because there is a mod out there doesn't change the fact that I would like to see time based scheduling added to the base game.

Pax_Empyrean

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 27, 2016, 12:19:35 PMI am new to the game, I don't know all the mods
Hence why people suggest them. To tell you about the things you don't know about.

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 27, 2016, 12:19:35 PMand I shouldn't need to look through every mod out there before making a suggestion.
Nobody said you had to. In fact, they're willing to do the work for you to provide the features that you want.

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 27, 2016, 12:19:35 PMI am just playing the game, and see something that is logically sound that I believe should be in the base game, so I suggest it.
Nobody's telling you not to. I just pointed you and OP in the direction of a way to get that feature right now.

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 27, 2016, 12:19:35 PMJust because there is a mod out there doesn't change the fact that I would like to see time based scheduling added to the base game.
Sure, it'd be good to see it in the base game as well. It's a solid, but unobtrusive, UI improvement. That's why it gets mentioned in the "nominate a mod to add to the base game" thread.

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 27, 2016, 12:19:35 PMStill not looking for mod suggestions, so please, knock that off.
Still not giving a giving a shit about your dislike for mods. OP wanted a feature and I recommended a mod that provides it. Almost everybody uses mods, and everyone except for you has thus far appreciated the recommendations. My game is vastly more enjoyable because other people responded to my feature suggestions by telling me about mods that provide them.