[Mod] (Alpha 5D) Colonist Creation Mod v2.3c

Started by Argain, July 06, 2014, 07:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BetaSpectre

I'm assuming here that the reason why only certain professions/adult stories have only one body is because you'd need duplicate adult back stories with different bodies associated with the professions to have more body types.

If someone basically duplicates each profession like 5 times each with a different body attachment then all the professions should have all the bodies right?
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

TenSaidYes

So, I'm currently trying out the latest version of this, and I want to say -awesome work-! It does everything I'd hoped it would do, and more.

That being said, I miss the fun little 'don't do anything' traits... so I'll be rolling back to the version where they were still accessible now. Weird, I know, that something which doesn't even matter to the game would bother me, but I tell short little stories with my colonists... and having those traits helps.

Argain

Quote from: BetaSpectre on July 23, 2014, 11:19:19 PM
I'm assuming here that the reason why only certain professions/adult stories have only one body is because you'd need duplicate adult back stories with different bodies associated with the professions to have more body types.

If someone basically duplicates each profession like 5 times each with a different body attachment then all the professions should have all the bodies right?

lol if I was in control of any of that, I would just do away with the BodyTypes being associated with Backstories altogether. What this mod is doing, though, is just reading from what already exists in the database. Nothing new is added or altered in the core game content... the Pawns themselves are just constructs of said content, so the mod is simply making the opportunity available to control what content is being directed towards them. I hope that makes sense? lol

Edit: What's actually going on 'under the hood' is I'm creating a bunch of custom classes to store various bits of the database information, and -that- is what's being manipulated behind the curtain and producing what you see on the creation menu. Afterward, I just take all that information and plug it into the normal colonist pawns before they spawn and then let the game take over to do what it normally does... what this means, is that if the information I passed them doesn't line up exactly with what currently exists in the database (not something foreign or 'new' for them to work with, as they have no code to work with it) then everything blows up, the world ends and the universe implodes on itself. It's not good. I'd say the only thing I really changed was setting how many of the pawns are generated in the background, prior to spawning. What this mod -can- do, though, is find stuff in the database that -other- mods have added in. So yes... if someone was to make another mod which adds in duplicate backstories (one BodyTypeGlobal for each BodyType), then this mod would indeed find those and make them available to work with.

Argain

Quote from: TenSaidYes on July 23, 2014, 11:21:41 PM
So, I'm currently trying out the latest version of this, and I want to say -awesome work-! It does everything I'd hoped it would do, and more.

That being said, I miss the fun little 'don't do anything' traits... so I'll be rolling back to the version where they were still accessible now. Weird, I know, that something which doesn't even matter to the game would bother me, but I tell short little stories with my colonists... and having those traits helps.

I'm sure Tynan will get around to making the rest of the Traits have effects, too... and when he does, they'll start turning up as options again :) Btw, roleplaying isn't 'weird' in my books... all the best games are rpg's \o/

elliotmartinlew

Quote from: Argain on July 20, 2014, 11:16:28 AM
Hmm, well here's the code that MacFix2 was using:

else if (OS == Platform.Mac)
{
    path = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.Personal);
    path += "/Library/Caches/unity.Ludeon Studios.RimWorld/CharSaves/" + groupName + ".col";
}

As you can see, most of the slashes were already "/"... not sure why they're switching direction at runtime lol

Edit: think it might need to be

@"/Library/Caches/unity.Ludeon Studios.RimWorld/CharSaves/"

to make it not 'interpret' anything within the string... so hopefully this fix will make the slashes point in the right direction...

Edit2: Managed to find my old code from the Alpha 4F version that was using more relative file pathing, so this 'GeneralImportFix' might work best.

Awesome, man! Sorry I didn't reply earlier, life's too busy. Excellent mod, glad we got this all sorted out.

Korporal Kagger

Do you think there would be a way to make it so that when you are selecting how many colonists and their traits, you could look around the map.  It really makes a difference knowing what sort of terrain you are dealing with, whether or not you get the extra miner/constructor/etc.  Also, I think there is a bug with the import/export stuff for me.  It'll load the first colonists name, but everything else is randomized.

Argain

Quote from: Korporal Kagger on July 26, 2014, 02:28:37 AM
Also, I think there is a bug with the import/export stuff for me.  It'll load the first colonists name, but everything else is randomized.

What operating system are you running?

KKobayashi

Can you make the options scrollable lists instead of just needing to click through each text?

P_anders

Hi argain

well, after updating the mod, i have a problem with the backstories, they're messed up.
everytime i'll start a new colony, there are missing some of the backstories. and at every try there are missing other backstories, not the same as the previous try, seems that its random which backstories are available and which one are missing. at the one try there are missing 2 or 3 backstories, at the next try there are missing pretty much of them. at one try i missed the colony settler ... at the next try i had not even one backstory with the initial "C"

befor i noticed this issue, i made a new colonists set ... one of them i made a colony settler. i play the game a little bit and after a reload the save, the colonist were a armycook insteet of a colony settler o_O

besides this issue, the mod seems to work pretty fine

Argain

Quote from: P_anders on July 27, 2014, 04:03:48 AM
everytime i'll start a new colony, there are missing some of the backstories. and at every try there are missing other backstories, not the same as the previous try, seems that its random which backstories are available and which one are missing. at the one try there are missing 2 or 3 backstories, at the next try there are missing pretty much of them. at one try i missed the colony settler ... at the next try i had not even one backstory with the initial "C"

That's not a bug, that's only the backstories which would result in the chosen Body Shape being shown. It's how I made the Body Shape selectable.

Quote from: P_anders on July 27, 2014, 04:03:48 AM
i play the game a little bit and after a reload the save, the colonist were a armycook insteet of a colony settler o_O

Were any errors thrown?

P_anders

oh ... ok, that make sence, ... somehow

QuoteWere any errors thrown?
no, not more errormessages that i get normaly

Argain

Hmm, not sure about the save issue. I did a quick test of saving a game with a colonist whom had an Adulthood of Colony Settler... quit to main menu and re-loaded the save, but the backstory was still Colony Settler ???

Quote from: P_anders on July 27, 2014, 06:51:36 AM
no, not more errormessages that i get normaly

lol You normally get a lot of error messages? That's not good, man. Might wanna turn all the mods off and then try adding them in one at a time (each time running a new game) to see exactly which ones are being problematic, that way you'll know not to run those and hopefully have your game running error-free.

P_anders

well ... i get a few error messages but the game is running without problems o_O
remember helping me last time, where you get my mod folder and give it bake to me? i said, still get the error message, but mod is running fine.

still same situation, except this new issue

Somz

Quote from: Argain on July 27, 2014, 07:02:44 AM

lol You normally get a lot of error messages? That's not good, man. Might wanna turn all the mods off and then try adding them in one at a time (each time running a new game) to see exactly which ones are being problematic, that way you'll know not to run those and hopefully have your game running error-free.

Ain't nobody has time fo that!:D
Besides, these errors messages don't cause trouble 99% of the time, either an object is missing due to a screw up, or isn't functioning properly; "tried to get pawn head at *insert place*/male_average_normal with colour *something I picked* that was not found, defaulting...". :3
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

Argain

Quote from: Cyst on July 27, 2014, 07:22:59 AM
tried to get pawn head at *insert place*/male_average_normal with colour *something I picked* that was not found, defaulting...

The game must be checking for particular skin colors :/ had wondered a while ago if it was, due to this code I had come across:

private static Color RandomSkinColor()
{
    float value = UnityEngine.Random.value;
    if (value < 0.2f)
    {
        if (UnityEngine.Random.value < 0.5f)
        {
            return PawnSkinColors.LightBlackSkin;
        }
        return PawnSkinColors.DarkBlackSkin;
    }
    else
    {
        if (value < 0.5f)
        {
            return PawnSkinColors.MidSkin;
        }
        if (UnityEngine.Random.value < 0.3f)
        {
            return PawnSkinColors.PaleWhiteSkin;
        }
        return PawnSkinColors.WhiteSkin;
    }
}

So, I'm gonna test-run having only those skin colors selectable and see if it works...