Greater Temperature variation (prev. Scandinavian Biome?)

Started by Maltavius, April 30, 2015, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maltavius

I'd like to play a biome that is closer to what I have here in Lulea, Sweden.

Winter is -20 - -35 Centigrades
Spring is 0 - +16 centigrades
Summer is 16-32 centigrades
and Autum is 7 - -10 centigrades

Boreal Forrest would be most likely to match this but I find the game doesn't do enough spread of the temperature to be interesting. Either it's freezing all the time or it's not cold enough to warrant parkas in the winter.

Has anyone generated such a world where this biome exists?

Kaballah

I'm not 100% certain but I'm fairly sure the temperature isn't determined by the biome, so what you're asking for is more determined by the overall worldgen temperature map and elevation.

I've had a lot of world maps where there has been a range of temperature between +20C in summer time, to -20C or so in mid winter, but I don't think I've ever seen it go to -35/+35C extremes.  I agree I'd like to see larger swings in temperature than the game currently allows.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Kaballah on April 30, 2015, 09:38:34 AM
I'm not 100% certain but I'm fairly sure the temperature isn't determined by the biome, so what you're asking for is more determined by the overall worldgen temperature map and elevation.

I've had a lot of world maps where there has been a range of temperature between +20C in summer time, to -20C or so in mid winter, but I don't think I've ever seen it go to -35/+35C extremes.  I agree I'd like to see larger swings in temperature than the game currently allows.

Deserts have great swings of temperature on a daily basis too, yet, for me at least, nights are 10/20°C instead of -10/15 or less.

Definitely need some little more realistic weather, and of course the extremes.

Maltavius

Where I live now, the sun never sets this time of year, or it sets for about 4 hours. The rest of the day is lit.
In the winter it's the opposite. It's 2-4 hours of sunlight and the rest of the day is dark.

It would be nice if the game would simulate a more realistic day-night and temperature cycle for the planet and depending on where you settle on it.

Is there a  way to MOD in the Temperature differences?

Katorone

Quote from: Maltavius on May 24, 2015, 11:10:12 AM
Where I live now, the sun never sets this time of year, or it sets for about 4 hours. The rest of the day is lit.
In the winter it's the opposite. It's 2-4 hours of sunlight and the rest of the day is dark.

It would be nice if the game would simulate a more realistic day-night and temperature cycle for the planet and depending on where you settle on it.

The day/night variation is already as realistic as it gets.  The tilt of the planet gets calculated, according to the season, with the appropriate day/night lengths and light levels.
I'm currently playing on a tundra map with extremes to -50°C to +20°C.

Maltavius

Quote from: Katorone on June 09, 2015, 06:58:22 PM
Quote from: Maltavius on May 24, 2015, 11:10:12 AM

The day/night variation is already as realistic as it gets.  The tilt of the planet gets calculated, according to the season, with the appropriate day/night lengths and light levels.
I'm currently playing on a tundra map with extremes to -50°C to +20°C.

I'm not saying that these temperature variations exists, but it seems like when they do they always become Tundra.

It sounded like from the Alpha 11 video that he's begining to feel finished with the game, I just wish he'd move this somewhere that we can mod it before it's finished.