Megaspider does not become pregnant

Started by Gandalv, August 05, 2021, 04:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gandalv

There are two different-sex megaspiders, but they do not reproduce.

sdynet

As expected, this is a bug! I also had a hell of a hard time saving it. But they didn't breed. I was dumbfounded and laughed. ;)

AileTheAlien

This feels like the bug is having different 'sexes' of the insectoids. They're all from a hive, which I thought had a queen inside. (But I could be mis-remembering that.)

Ark

Megascarab description says "A eusocial creature, it cannot reproduce individually.", which implies a drone, like in bees. Also the descriptions of all three base game insectoids say that they are "genetically-engineered". As far as getting pregnant, laying eggs seems more likely.
I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be a queen insect there somewhere, laying eggs 24/7. Maybe it escaped from a crashed ship, maybe it was planted deliberately and the designer of these bugs have an insecticide to dispose of them afterwards.
Anyway the spelopede and megaspider description propably should say something about reproduction, just so that players don't waste time dreaming of an insect farm. I'm pretty sure they are supposed to emerge fully-formed from a hive in the base game. Having them all be of single sex or sexless would also make sense.
Also I am just going to link this cute megaspider by OtterbirdArt. https://old.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/owxn0y/doodle_pet_megaspider/

Gandalv

In this case, if tamed insects cannot reproduce, for what purpose was the gestation period added to them?

Ark

That is a good question. gestationPeriodDays has been in the insect defs at least from alpha 13, but it has only become visible to players in 1.3.
Wouldn't it be funny if the insects of dormant hives started to reproduce from day 0?

Gandalv

As far as I know, wild animals do not reproduce. Reproduction occurs only in tamed animals. Consequently, insects with dormant hives would not reproduce in any case. I think they just forgot to include the possibility of mating for domesticated insects. I really hope that they will give me the opportunity, since it is very risky to tame two of different sexes.

Ark

That is true. I don't think even Wild Animal Sex can make insects reproduce. Getting quite off-topic for the Bugs forum. There happens to be a fresh topic of the matter at the General forum. Well, closely related anyway. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=55103.0

Gandalv

I would like to hear the opinion of officials is the inability to reproduce domesticated insects a mistake?  Considering that they have added a pregnancy period.

Pheanox

Thanks for the report.  After conferring with the devs, I've isolated the issue as the game should not be displaying pregnancy stats.  It is intended that they can not breed.