Walls should be placeable on uncovered stone

Started by lost_RD, May 02, 2016, 10:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lost_RD

Having to designate a stone wall to be mined, waiting for it to be mined and only then being able to designate the placement of a wall is, in my opinion, inefficient design and I would like to see it changed.

In Dwarf Fortress there is a "smooth wall" command as well as a "smooth floor" command that Tynan has borrowed. I request we get an equivalent to smooth wall command efficiency-wise but in the Rimworld style of walls being constructed from blocks.

Negocromn

+1, anything to not have to do all the process of mining and building

Kegereneku

I also think a "Smooth Wall" akin to smooth-floor would be interesting for Cave-dweller.
Giving it a longer scult-mining time to balance it out.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

rexx1888

+1 the pants of this one brother, preach all the removal of micromanagey nonsense

erdrik

I like the idea of a smooth wall command, but I think it should be separate from a "mine and build wall here command".
Smooth Wall should retain the "this is just a smoothed surface of the mountain" status. For example, you can't put conduits under smoothed wall. It should basically still count as mountain wall, and just have the aesthetic features of a built stone brick wall. While mining a mountain wall should just be part of the built in order structure of building walls.

Darth Fool

While I like the idea of smooth walls option as detailed by erdrik, I would go a step further on placing walls on as yet unmined border stone.   I would like to see the ability to place any blue print down in any unmined square.  Obviously these could only be built once the area is mined out.  Pawns would not automagically mine areas with blue prints on it, so it would not be a one stop mine and build here option, but rather an option to lay out a room, set it to be mined, and have pawns auto build things as the opportunity arises.  Maybe color the blue prints that cannot yet be built red to indicate that they still need to be mined out.

Galeenet

+1 came back from heavily using dev tools for base building to vanilla gameplay and was pretty annoyed by having to mine before placing plans.
We should be able to place walls to order (mine existing + build wall)

skullywag

May be doable by replicating the <canPlaceOverWall>true</canPlaceOverWall> functionality that doors have, so that its placeoverrock or something then anything with that xml tag will be placed over rock, then just need to see if they mine it or deconstruct.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Nebbie

Quote from: Darth Fool on May 03, 2016, 01:57:49 PM
While I like the idea of smooth walls option as detailed by erdrik, I would go a step further on placing walls on as yet unmined border stone.   I would like to see the ability to place any blue print down in any unmined square.  Obviously these could only be built once the area is mined out.  Pawns would not automagically mine areas with blue prints on it, so it would not be a one stop mine and build here option, but rather an option to lay out a room, set it to be mined, and have pawns auto build things as the opportunity arises.  Maybe color the blue prints that cannot yet be built red to indicate that they still need to be mined out.

I'd go a step further and say that blueprints should be placible regardless of current objects being there, so that beds can, for example, be installed on a spot they're currently on or scheduled for installation in a place where currently something is to be moved from. There's a lot of waiting around in Rimworld for a certain thing to be done just to schedule something blueprintwise, and it makes reorganizing a room ridiculous.

Divinion

Quote from: lost_RD on May 02, 2016, 10:50:52 AM
Having to designate a stone wall to be mined, waiting for it to be mined and only then being able to designate the placement of a wall is, in my opinion, inefficient design and I would like to see it changed.

I actually have to disagree with this notion.  Seeing that you would have to use the chunks of stone to refine them into stone blocks in order to make a stone wall, you wouldn't be able to do that at the stone you are mining.  The smooth wall option, I can support.  Though I would hope that the way that regular unmined/unrefined walls seem to suck for keeping a room cool/warm would also be the same for smoothed walls as well.  Not sure if you noticed this or not, but it is much harder to regulate the temperature in a room that doesn't have fabricated walls all the way around it.