Rimworld Wiki! (old thread)

Started by williamknox, September 20, 2013, 12:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

British

Hypolite and I are (mostly) taking care of the maintenance, but it's indeed the theming that is a huge problem (and having proper categorize, and some kind of way to have all the pages accessible, and... everything).

Regarding the wiki on ludeon.com, Tynan has replaced the MediaWiki by DoKuWiki, while I would have preferred to keep both for proper comparison.
I actually find DokuWiki worse and more limited than MediaWiki, but if you feel like having a go at it, please do (you might then want to create an account there and check with Tynan to get admin).

JugglerX

Is the final decision docuwiki? Is everyone behind that? I don't want to theme it, if it's going to be unused.

British

It's nowhere near final.
The idea is to find a wiki that is easy to work with and maintain, just like Wikia, but without the crazy ads.

My beefs with MediaWiki is that I couldn't reproduce or integrate the template system of Wikia (which is forked off MediaWiki).
And then there's DokuWiki, which I think is crap, in regard to the few wikis that are using it that I checked.

And Tynan doesn't like Wikia because of all the ads (as we can't expect every single visitor to use AdBlock and such).

JugglerX

sounds to me like dokuwiki is inferior to wikia and mediawiki.

When you say you couldent reproduce the templating system of wikia to mediawiki, is this only affecting the migration of existing content? or is maintaining mediawiki completely different?

JugglerX

I'm always skeptical of Wikia's, they never seem to be the "official" wiki

British

Quote from: JugglerX on October 08, 2013, 10:55:57 AM
When you say you couldent reproduce the templating system of wikia to mediawiki, is this only affecting the migration of existing content? or is maintaining mediawiki completely different?
It affects the migration since the migrated pages make use of templates.
And it affects the existing (or "non-migrated" content) because I couldn't figure out how to achieve the same result as templates without actually using them.

But I didn't try too much.

Tynan

I'll put up an installation of MediaWiki alongside the DocuWiki. Perhaps it would be a better long-term choice, if that's what you guys think. I'm no wiki expert so I can't make a full evaluation myself.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

The MediaWiki is up here: http://ludeon.com/wikirimworld/

If you guys have decided that this is better than DocuWiki then go ahead and start on it. It's certainly a more proven product, even if it has its idiosyncrasies; people who have worked on Wikipedia or DFWiki will have used it.

Sorry about the confusion guys.

thekillergreece

Quote from: Tynan on October 09, 2013, 12:50:16 PM
The MediaWiki is up here: http://ludeon.com/wikirimworld/

If you guys have decided that this is better than DocuWiki then go ahead and start on it. It's certainly a more proven product, even if it has its idiosyncrasies; people who have worked on Wikipedia or DFWiki will have used it.

Sorry about the confusion guys.

I think, after the game releases to public alpha, you should add Username and Password genuine needed on that wiki forums, just like PA, to prevent torrenters visiting at it.

Winsaucerer

Hey guys,

I saw the wikia wiki, and it seemed people were settling in so I didn't want to say anything.  But I see you're thinking of alternatives, which is great.  I can't stand wikia.  Even *if* you block the extreme advertising, I don't like that the wiki seems to have a fixed width for the content.

I currently run a wiki at http://wiki.dust514.info (I have some advertisements there, but I made it so any registered users -- which is free to do -- don't see advertisements).  I had thought perhaps I would set up a mediawiki wiki at wiki.rimworld.org or wiki.rimworld.info, or even just at the root website rimworld.org.

Would you guys have any interest in that?  Eventually I'd like to build these into more of a community site than just a wiki.  Maybe a place for people to post stories, downloads, what-have-you, but for now a wiki is the most obvious, easiest, and useful addition.

Or prefer to keep it run by Tynan?

And on a related note, if you have ideas for what to do for a community site, I'm all ears!  Or if you want to help out.

(I'm off to bed shortly, so may not be responding soon for about 12 hours)

Winsaucerer

Quote from: British on October 05, 2013, 07:11:47 AM
And, as someone who uploaded hundreds of pictures to Wikia, it also wins some points on that matter... more so since I'm yet to find how to upload anything on MediaWiki.

Just on this topic, as others have pointed out, mediawiki supports uploads.  In fact, wikia runs a version of mediawiki, so a lot of the wiki markup that you enter can be directly copied over to a mediawiki wiki with minimal changes.

British

Thanks for participating, Winsaucerer.
It would have been nice of you to read the whole thread prior to posting in it, though, as that would have answered quite a few of your questions.

So please do that when you get the time, and if you still have some questions then, I'll be happy to see them answered.

Winsaucerer

Quote from: British on October 10, 2013, 09:45:35 AM
It would have been nice of you to read the whole thread prior to posting in it, though, as that would have answered quite a few of your questions.

Hi British, I have read the thread, and I'm really not quite sure what you mean when you say it answers quite a few of my questions.

My understanding: you guys have been looking at and using Wikia, but Tynan and some others do not like Wikia (I count myself in that set).  So now Tynan has offered to host a wiki at ludeon.com, either perhaps docuwiki or mediawiki.

I'm asking if you guys would prefer a community-run, clean wiki at rimworld.org or rimworld.info, where we have full control and Tynan doesn't have to manage it (though perhaps managing one himself is what he'd prefer).

British

Quote from: Winsaucerer on October 10, 2013, 09:32:04 AMI had thought perhaps I would set up a mediawiki wiki at wiki.rimworld.org or wiki.rimworld.info, or even just at the root website rimworld.org.

Would you guys have any interest in that?  Eventually I'd like to build these into more of a community site than just a wiki.  Maybe a place for people to post stories, downloads, what-have-you, but for now a wiki is the most obvious, easiest, and useful addition.

Or prefer to keep it run by Tynan?

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=53.msg1110#msg1110
"After noting how horribly intrusive the ads are on Wikia, I've installed a new MediaWiki installation at http://ludeon.com/rimworldwiki/

I think we should migrate content there over the long term and eventually close the Wikia. Hopefully it won't be too tough; there are only 11 pages so far.

Does that work? Then there will be a nice clean wiki for us, without all the wikia crap in your face.
"

Quote from: Winsaucerer on October 10, 2013, 09:37:12 AM
Just on this topic, as others have pointed out, mediawiki supports uploads.  In fact, wikia runs a version of mediawiki, so a lot of the wiki markup that you enter can be directly copied over to a mediawiki wiki with minimal changes.

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=53.msg2171#msg2171
"My beefs with MediaWiki is that I couldn't reproduce or integrate the template system of Wikia (which is forked off MediaWiki).[/i]"

That should cover your initial interrogations ;)

TL;DR: Yes Tynan wants to have the wiki (which is not decided on yet) on his website (I endorse that decision as well).
That doesn't mean *he* will have to take care of it.
There's probably no point of having a "community" on the wiki since it's alongside the forums, but that's up to Tynan.
As stated above, I couldn't get some imported template to work (it was imported along the pages it's used on), and no, I didn't spend hours finding out why ::)

Hope that helps.

Tynan

Welcome Winsaucerer! So nobody has offered to supply separate hosting. I have to decline though, just because of the ads.

I'm soon going to begin promoting the MediaWiki as the one true RimWorld wiki. Just so everyone knows where to focus their efforts. MediaWiki is well established and many people know it well.

Sincere apologies to British and Hypolite and others who have worked on the Wikia. I really hope most of the content can be moved over without much challenge. Had I known the wiki options better before I'd have killed the Wikia much sooner. Sorry.

If anyone wants to take a leading role on the new MediaWiki, please say so. I don't have time to run the whole thing myself.