My batteries stopped working

Started by leted, January 30, 2015, 12:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leted

So I started off my colony and had initially put up the two solar panels and the two batteries a shown. The batteries output power when the sun went down, as intended. However, I have since placed two wind turbines over there, and as soon as a solar flare hit, the batteries didn't output power anymore. The battery shouldn't have crossed any electric generators, but it didn't provide any power to the rest of my equipments. Did I do something wrong here? Attached is the picture of my electrical grid setup.

GlassDeviant

Looks fine to me, there are no items displaying the lightning bolt symbol that means "not getting power".

Boboid

Do the batteries work now that the eclipse has passed? Also were you suffering from a Solar Flare not an Eclipse by any chance?
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

TheSilencedScream

My only guesses would be that:
1.) Your turbines don't put enough power out to keep the batteries charged long enough for a solar eclipse (as I'm not sure what other items you have off screen that are using power). As a further note, I have no idea what the large item is above your right building; is that a different model of a geothermal reactor? Because, if that's the case, it's odd that your power would've dwindled so quickly...

or

2.) Perhaps it was actually a solar flare?
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

The-MathMog

Is your total power negative under the eclipse? If you aren't lacking power (the windmills are providing all you need) Then the batteries will just keep their charge.

Kazuto Kirigaya

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on January 30, 2015, 01:22:45 AM
1.) Your turbines don't put enough power out to keep the batteries charged long enough for a solar eclipse (as I'm not sure what other items you have off screen that are using power). As a further note, I have no idea what the large item is above your right building; is that a different model of a geothermal reactor? Because, if that's the case, it's odd that your power would've dwindled so quickly...

or

It is the Coal Generator from Mechanical Defense 2.
I am highly unstable.

leted

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on January 30, 2015, 01:22:45 AM

or

Quote from: Boboid on January 30, 2015, 01:20:36 AM
Do the batteries work now that the eclipse has passed? Also were you suffering from a Solar Flare not an Eclipse by any chance?

Yep, I made a terrible typo. But unfortunately, when the solar flare hits, everything lost power and the batteries are completely full and not draining. I don't know why that is.

Quote from: The-MathMog on January 30, 2015, 01:23:37 AM
Is your total power negative under the eclipse? If you aren't lacking power (the windmills are providing all you need) Then the batteries will just keep their charge.

Sorry, I meant solar flare, and yes, when the solar flare hit, all my generators are dead and my power level plummeted and my batteries did nothing. I am really confused.

kic

Quote from: leted on January 30, 2015, 01:39:48 AMSorry, I meant solar flare, and yes, when the solar flare hit, all my generators are dead and my power level plummeted and my batteries did nothing. I am really confused.

Solar flares prevent all power reliant/generating items from working. When the event has finished, everything resumes normally. Your batteries are working as intended unless I'm missing something.

leted

Quote from: kic on January 30, 2015, 01:58:01 AM
Quote from: leted on January 30, 2015, 01:39:48 AMSorry, I meant solar flare, and yes, when the solar flare hit, all my generators are dead and my power level plummeted and my batteries did nothing. I am really confused.

Solar flares prevent all power reliant/generating items from working. When the event has finished, everything resumes normally. Your batteries are working as intended unless I'm missing something.

What I meant to say is that the batteries are not giving out powers during a solar eclipse. If batteries cannot give power during a solar eclipse, it's sorta useless to me, since I no longer relies on solar energy.

TheSilencedScream

During a solar flare, nothing works. Doesn't matter if batteries are charged or not, as they're considered "not working" during a solar flare. It's meant to be like that.
Only in Rimworld.

leted

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on January 30, 2015, 02:10:13 AM
During a solar flare, nothing works. Doesn't matter if batteries are charged or not, as they're considered "not working" during a solar flare. It's meant to be like that.

Solar flare is death and I must embrace it.

At least you saved me the trouble of making a battery chamber. Rimworld is true hell.

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: leted on January 30, 2015, 02:18:36 AM

At least you saved me the trouble of making a battery chamber. Rimworld is true hell.

Play Random Randy. He's got a habit of giving you a solar flare just before the pirates reach your turrets. :)
Only in Rimworld.

leted

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on January 30, 2015, 02:19:53 AM
Quote from: leted on January 30, 2015, 02:18:36 AM

Play Random Randy. He's got a habit of giving you a solar flare just before the pirates reach your turrets. :)

Men! I know we've lost a lot of people, and are in the middle of a fallen space ship psychotic drone attack, and the pirates are besieging our fair citadel, but rest assured! We are close to finishing our spaceship, and those pirate scums would have to get past our array of our electric turrets in order to reach us. Our power are aplenty; as long as a solar eclipse does not happen now, we will be able to survive the pirate attack, finish the space ship, and ride our way to a new and glorious daw-

*A solar eclipse has occurred

*Pirates are attacking the colony

*20 centipedes armed with incindiary shots have inexplicably emerged from the fallen spaceship and are attacking the colony

*50% of your team have came down with malaria

*Your butt inexplicably exploded

milon

^ I think you mean Solar Flare  ;)

But yeah, it sucks.

Related question: Does anyone know if Solar Flare affects spaceship launch?

Pathing

^^ no.

Back to the topic..

Solar flare = everything that consumes power will be suspended.
Eclipse = No light from outside light source.
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.