New flooring designs being enlarged in game

Started by Igabod, November 18, 2014, 11:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

I'm trying to make new flooring designs just for my own personal amusement at first and then possibly for a mod on alpha 8. But I keep running into a weird problem. No matter what the size of my image for the floor is, once I'm in the game it stretches to immense proportions. I made a 64x64 tile (poorly just for testing purposes right now) which is attached. And it came out looking way wrong in the game. Each 1x1 tile is supposed to look exactly like the attached picture but instead it's treating each 1x1 tile as a single pixel within the picture I made.

I didn't do any XML code to test this out, I just added it on to T's more floors mod simply to see if my designs worked and stumbled upon this problem.

What I need help on is how to make each individual square look like the attached picture as opposed to the imgur hosted pic below.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Rikiki

This feature is actually amazing as it allows to define large not redundant images (like a desert: it contains several dunes, not only 1 64x64 pixels pattern of sand cell).
Look in the core art source for rough rock, soil and desert images.
It also helps to counter clipping problems.

To do your fast floor, create your 64x64 pixels image and duplicate it 16x16 times (for each row and column) so you will have a global 16x16 cells image (so a 1024x1024 pixels).

I hope I am clear. :)

Igabod

Quote from: Rikiki on November 18, 2014, 11:47:03 AM
This feature is actually amazing as it allows to define large not redundant images (like a desert: it contains several dunes, not only 1 64x64 pixels pattern of sand cell).
Look in the core art source for rough rock, soil and desert images.
It also helps to counter clipping problems.

To do your fast floor, create your 64x64 pixels image and duplicate it 16x16 times (for each row and column) so you will have a global 16x16 cells image (so a 1024x1024 pixels).

I hope I am clear. :)

Yeah it's pretty neat if you want to utilize it this way. But shouldn't I be able to do a floor tile that doesn't stretch my design? All of the floor designs in T's more floors mod work exactly as they were drawn even with 512x512 (or something close to that, I don't have it memorized). I tried doing the same thing in the same dimensions as he used and had the same results as I showed above. I shouldn't have to do a workaround to get my image not to stretch. What is it that I'm doing different on my texture than Telkir did?

skullywag

Think you need to just change the render/mesh/draw type, whatever it uses. Check near the top of the xml def is there something like that? I'm not near a pc right now.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Igabod

Quote from: skullywag on November 18, 2014, 02:12:59 PM
Think you need to just change the render/mesh/draw type, whatever it uses. Check near the top of the xml def is there something like that? I'm not near a pc right now.

I'm not seeing anything that refers to that in the entire xml file except <RenderPrecedence>268</RenderPrecedence> which I think has to do with what order they appear in the architect menu but I could be wrong on that.

Igabod

actually, on closer inspection it appears that T's textures work the exact same way. I have to do it the way Rikki said. Though I can use far more than 64x64 pixels. Now that I know this I should be able to do it. It will just be a lot of copy/pasting of my 64x64 image unless I can figure out a way to fill a 512x512 space with the same image in tile form a lot easier.

Shinzy

Quote from: Igabod on November 18, 2014, 02:23:52 PMIt will just be a lot of copy/pasting of my 64x64 image unless I can figure out a way to fill a 512x512 space with the same image in tile form a lot easier.

Make the original 64 by 64 into a custom pattern and fill the 512 by 512 area with it!
(can be done with GIMP for example)

Or copy paste row of them first and then copy paste the longer row of them few times and you'll be done in no time ;D