Feedback on this base?

Started by APBRainbowcar, February 24, 2018, 02:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APBRainbowcar

Corn von Holio

The layout seems alrightish, tough I'm a bit worried about infestations. Note that you might want to cover entire rooms with floors. You might also be interested in changing the wooden floors for paved tile or some type of bricks, as wood can burn. Still, the base is serviceable and should hold up fairly well to small groups of raiders.
I am not corrupt, just willing to consider other solutions given adequate amounts of TP.

Listy

Quote from: Corn von Holio on February 27, 2018, 03:21:14 AM
The layout seems alrightish, tough I'm a bit worried about infestations. Note that you might want to cover entire rooms with floors.

Wait... Covering the floor prevents infestations?

sick puppy

Quote from: Listy on February 27, 2018, 04:07:32 AM
Quote from: Corn von Holio on February 27, 2018, 03:21:14 AM
The layout seems alrightish, tough I'm a bit worried about infestations. Note that you might want to cover entire rooms with floors.

Wait... Covering the floor prevents infestations?
nah, would be way too easy
also, mountain bases should use smooth floors everywhere except where you need sterile floorings (kitchen, hospital and research facility)
smooth floor has the exact same properties as other floors except it takes longer to build and therefore levels your constructors up and is for free. it is a win-win-win. but it wont get rid of infestations either

Serenity

With infestations it's generally a good idea to have multiple paths instead of just one big corridor. And multiple exits per room where appropriate. That way if one way is blocked people still have a chance to escape.

Bolgfred

1. Defense
Your base has only one defense line, which is placed around your garden. This is good, as you don't fight directly inside your base, which enables you to react better on situations.
The bad part is, when they break your outer perimeter there is no defence option. You need a second line of defense at your entrance for example.
Furthermore your stockpile, solar, wind and crops are exposed and will be stolen, destroyed and burned in a fight, as they have no protection themselves.
Lastly, your mountain base has no second entrance. When something happens inside your base, like a fire or an infestation, your colonists will be trapped and your forces divided inside or outside. Make your corridor an 'U' shape or an emergency exit to prevent this happening.

2. Distance
Your stockpile is out of your base. When youre crafting something pawns will have to run about 50 tiles between workshop and ressources.
This could be improved by making small stockpiles for specific ressources next to your workstations, like a fabric storage next to your tailor.
Same for your dining room and granary. Your pawns walk 30 tiles between table and meal 2-3 times a day. this is much walking.
make a small fridge near the dining room, or cool the dining room itself (eating in cold has no debuff).

3. Workshop performance
as already mentioned, your workplaces need ressources next to them. Shelves work wonders here.
Very important for your stove as there are many things in a row to be produced. Place a stool for meat and one for vegetables next to your stove and your cook can make 7 meals in a row without moving, which has a huge speed bonus.
Your butchers table must not be inside the fridge, as the cold gives -20% on butchering amount. Better place it in your workshop next to a tool cabinet, as the 2x6% are added to amount and speed, which is 12% more leather and meat +20% from not being in a fridge.

4. Recreation Room
Where is it?

5. Muffalo Care
Don't even see a sleeping spot? Shame on you!
Whilst being super soft and cute, muffalos are very dirty animals. You better restrict them to the outside, so they spread their dirtiness to the outside.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Dargaron

Just a few things: it's mostly negative, but that's because I have limited time to post, and figure that's more useful for your purposes. I like the aesthetic of the long main corridor (although my bases are generally built around a cross-shaped corridor, personally).

I'm not entirely sure what the point is of your extremely-long hallway on the East side of your base: it's filled with rock chunks, but you don't have any way to attack the enemy while they're traversing that hallway. Wouldn't it be better to have only one or two layers of corridor, and use the stone blocks which would've gone towards the extra layers of walls on stone trapspam? You can still fill in more layers of twisting corridor as you cut more stone, but you'd be dealing damage to approaching enemies, rather than just slowing them down.

Why do you need so many layers of sandbags in your firing gallery (also on the east side)? I would thank that two layers of firing positions would be the maximum effective number, due to friendly fire issues. Also, what's to stop enemies from taking cover on the sandbags closest them immediately upon entering the gallery?

On the subject of storage, that open space next to your hospital seems like an excellent place to store your medicine (Herbal or otherwise). You don't even need to do anything: just replace one wall with a door and put a medicine-only (and maybe Body Parts?) stockpile in there at Important/Critical, and you'll save your doctor a lot of running.

One thing to keep in mind: the cleanliness of a room partly determines how frequently meals are contaminated with food poisoning. The butcher's table has an inherent penalty to the cleanliness of the room it occupies. Therefore, it is always better to have the butcher's table in a seperate room from the stove, even discounting the blood that's generated from the butchering process.

On a related note, why is the kitchen so huge? Unless you're using a mod like Vegetable Garden, the only real food-related workbenches you need are stoves (two or three should be fine for all but the largest colonies), a butcher's block and (maybe) a brewing table. Your crafting room (with the Machining table and stuff) seems like a more kitchen-sized room, while the kitchen is more suited to a general-purpose crafting room (since there are a lot more crafting workbenches than cooking workbenches).

cultist

It's a deathtrap.

You have no fallback positions, there is only one exit and everyhing is connected to a single, narrow hallway. If anything breaks down the main door, you have no real defenses left.