Lets Discuss Inconsistency

Started by EnricoDandolo, March 11, 2017, 02:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EnricoDandolo

So recently I've been playing Rimworld. I've noticed some rather strange things. So I'll share some of mine, and you'll share some of yours.
First, lets just talk about this.

A single log of wood 0.40 KG does 8 blunt damage, at a 2.20 second cool down. 0.40 KG is about 0.88 pounds which is basically a stick. Not even a big stick either, its like a stick the size of a bigger-than-usual slingshot.
Now, the thing here is that a wooden club does something like 4 damage. The club is made of 35 wood. 35x0.88=24+2.4+4+0.4=30.8 pounds. That club weighs 30.8 pounds, and does 4 damage. A person's fist does more damage then a 30 pound club, a SPIKED CLUB.
Hang on, hang on. I just checked. A person's fist does 6 damage. That means that if im correct, someone's punch has 1.5x the force of a 30.8 pound club swinging down on someone.
What the fuck?

Also, clearly we see that the CLUB is SPIKED. A steel club with steel spikes should inflict stab-wounds not blunt wounds, a MACE would inflict blunt wounds, not a spiked club. Yet, the Club, despite being spiked, does not stab someone's eye out, instead smashing their head in.

Anyone else want to add to this?

XeoNovaDan

This one isn't necessarily an inconsistency (well, all down to perception really), but a level 1 careful shooter will be more accurate than a godlike normal shooter. The difference: 98.25% post-processed accuracy (level 1 careful) vs 97.85% (level 20 ordinary)

This may not seem like very much, but that's a difference of anything up to 20.15% in proportion (45.182% vs 37.604%), depending on range. The preceding figures being at 45 tiles, which is the maximum range of the current longest range weapon in RimWorld. Although this gap increases to 22.63% (41.365% vs 33.732%) at 50 tiles which is the 'Long' range seen on weapon accuracy descriptions.

EnricoDandolo

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on March 11, 2017, 02:34:04 PM
This one isn't necessarily an inconsistency (well, all down to perception really), but a level 1 careful shooter will be more accurate than a godlike normal shooter.
That counts as an inconsistency, but it could just be a result of medical issues or just the game being high on smokeleaf again.

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: EnricoDandolo on March 11, 2017, 02:36:32 PM
just the game being high on smokeleaf again.

Indeed so. As it stands, the accuracy system is a combination of careful shooter being OP and higher level shooters being underwhelming... The first Official release of RimWorld will probably be hardly anything like it is now though, in regards to balancing.

EnricoDandolo

While it is retarded that a GODLIKE shooter has less accuracy than a careful aiming level 1 shooter, it does make sense.
A Godlike shooter can be as good as a shot as he wants, but if he doesn't take the time to aim those shots won't land.
A person who takes the time to aim has the ability to be more accurate than a person who doesn't take the time to aim.

Hans Lemurson

I think the main inconsistency you are looking at is the fact that you could build a small house out of the materials required for a Longsword. (1 door + 19 walls = 120 steel)
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 11, 2017, 03:43:10 PM
you could build a small house out of the materials required for a Longsword

^^This

Quote from: EnricoDandolo on March 11, 2017, 03:12:02 PM
A Godlike shooter can be as good as a shot as he wants, but if he doesn't take the time to aim those shots won't land.

Hmm, I guess... it still makes such little sense though that somebody who's 'incompetent' (A15 & below naming scheme but still) at shooting is still somewhat more accurate than somebody who's mastered the art of shooting to the degree that they're practically 'Godlike', just because they took slightly longer to time their shots...

EnricoDandolo

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 11, 2017, 03:43:10 PM
I think the main inconsistency you are looking at is the fact that you could build a small house out of the materials required for a Longsword. (1 door + 19 walls = 120 steel)
Rimworld , The amount of cloth required to make a duster is the same amount of cloth required to make a Billards table.

Elixiar

Inconstancy?

The year is 5500 and the M16 has made no changes in 3040 years.

That's effectively the same as all our armies in the world never evolving past sharp rocks and sticks.

But don't worry, advanced science, bionics and multiple eras of human civilisation have all evolved.

Honestly though, can we not make all the weapons from present day except the charge rifle? Doesn't really feel like it spans 3000 years of future tech.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Xena

Quote from: Elixiar on March 11, 2017, 06:06:27 PM
Doesn't really feel like it spans 3000 years of future tech.

I've seen in the save log files that the year date is listed, in a way that makes it editable... Maybe you could change the year to 2100?
:-X Just a thought.

Hans Lemurson

Inconstancy?

That's not an inconsistency.  There has been a LOT of technological regression on the Rim Worlds, and much of those 3,000 years were spent by people in Cryptosleep.  If you want futuristic space-guns, then that's what the Charge Rifle is.

In any case, I think that the real problem is that the bows that Tribals are using have hardly changed in 10,000 years!  Where's the technological progress?  Why aren't they using recurves or pully/cam compound bows?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Xena

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 11, 2017, 07:14:22 PM
Inconstancy?

That's not an inconsistency.  There has been a LOT of technological regression on the Rim Worlds, and much of those 3,000 years were spent by people in Cryptosleep.  If you want futuristic space-guns, then that's what the Charge Rifle is.

In any case, I think that the real problem is that the bows that Tribals are using have hardly changed in 10,000 years!  Where's the technological progress?  Why aren't they using recurves or pully/cam compound bows?

Not all planets are formed at the same time, like how most stars are older (and some younger) than our own Sun.  Therefore, not all lifeforms are at the same technological level as planets X, Y, or Z and their civilization(s). That is also assuming that there aren't any mass extinction events that act as a reset for the multiple species in question.  Furthermore, when advanced technology comes to a world with primitive weapons, it's easier to just discard the bows for the high-tech guns rather than find a way to merge the two technologies and/or properties.

Shurp

A unit of cloth weighs 0.03kg.

A tuque takes 25 cloth to make, and weighs 0.07 kg.  Where'd the rest go???

Even worse, a parka takes 120 cloth to make, and weighs 3.8 kg.  So much for conservation of mass!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

XeoNovaDan

Gold weighs 5x more than silver, even though gold is only (just under) 1.84x more dense

Boston

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 11, 2017, 07:14:22 PM
Inconstancy?

I use a bow in real life that would be immediately recognizable to a Mesolithic hunter-gatherer. I carved it from birch, backed it with sinew and birchbark, and twisted nettles together for the string.

Besides, recurve bows aren't "more advanced" than a selfbow, just of different dimensions. And compound bows would be unsustainable in the conditions the tribals live in.

"More technologically advanced" doesn't necessarily mean "better". When you get down to it, a wooden selfbow and a fiberglass compound bow do, quite literally, the same exact thing: store energy in the limbs in order to propel a projectile. A stone spear differs very little from a steel one.

Why make things more complicated than you have to?