Lets Discuss Inconsistency

Started by EnricoDandolo, March 11, 2017, 02:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeowRailroad

Quote from: Elixiar on March 11, 2017, 06:06:27 PM
Inconstancy?

The year is 5500 and the M16 has made no changes in 3040 years.

That's effectively the same as all our armies in the world never evolving past sharp rocks and sticks.

But don't worry, advanced science, bionics and multiple eras of human civilisation have all evolved.

Honestly though, can we not make all the weapons from present day except the charge rifle? Doesn't really feel like it spans 3000 years of future tech.

Well, the weapons have evolved, but the rimworlds are just so isolated that it's rare to see any of the better future weapons, since why would they be there? The people who made them probably want them since they are difficult/expensive to make, so most of the weapons available to rimworlds are gunpowder weapons.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Elixiar

Quote from: MeowRailroad on March 11, 2017, 08:43:14 PM
Quote from: Elixiar on March 11, 2017, 06:06:27 PM
Inconstancy?

The year is 5500 and the M16 has made no changes in 3040 years.

That's effectively the same as all our armies in the world never evolving past sharp rocks and sticks.

But don't worry, advanced science, bionics and multiple eras of human civilisation have all evolved.

Honestly though, can we not make all the weapons from present day except the charge rifle? Doesn't really feel like it spans 3000 years of future tech.

Well, the weapons have evolved, but the rimworlds are just so isolated that it's rare to see any of the better future weapons, since why would they be there? The people who made them probably want them since they are difficult/expensive to make, so most of the weapons available to rimworlds are gunpowder weapons.

Yeah I get that. That's not the problem.

There isn't a range over that span of time.

It goes spears. 20th century weapons. Charge rifle.
It wouldn't exactly be difficult to make up some names for guns and not make them exact replicas to stuff now. It's just not very inventive.

Look at Halo, pistol is a pistol, assault rifle is an assault rifle. Pump shotgun is a pump shotgun.

But imagine playing halo and using an M16 instead of the MA5B.
Or a Colt .45 instead of that magnum with the metal bit on top.
It's just not the same.

The weapons don't have to *be* different or work differently. I just want them lore wise to span a greater amount of time between 20th century and 5500.

The 'guns wouldn't reach a Rimworld' argument went out the window with orbital traders.

Edit: at the very least, the weapons 20th century guns could look improvised or cobbled together or expanded upon in the info panel. You show me a Crossbow from the Middle Ages that has undergone absolutely no restoration and still works as good as new.
I don't buy it. A 3000 year old weapon should need a damn good explanation as to why they are so freaking abundant.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

EnricoDandolo

Got another one for you guys.
You know how when you punch metal, it hurts you more then it hurts the metal?
POWER ARMOUR
I recently watched a video where there were 18 disabled people against 1 dude with power armour, AND THE DISABLED PEOPLE WON.
Someone's FISTS shouldn't be able to completely decimate a piece of high-tech spacer armour.

Shurp

But if nine of the people grab his one leg, and nine of the people grab his other leg, and they pull together...

...*crack*...

Ewwwww, what a mess.  Did anyone make a wish?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

MajorMonotone

Quote from: EnricoDandolo on March 12, 2017, 12:53:37 AM
Got another one for you guys.
You know how when you punch metal, it hurts you more then it hurts the metal?
POWER ARMOUR
I recently watched a video where there were 18 disabled people against 1 dude with power armour, AND THE DISABLED PEOPLE WON.
Someone's FISTS shouldn't be able to completely decimate a piece of high-tech spacer armour.

I think the issue with armour balancing is that realistically the only weapon that could reliably penetrate powered armour made of plasteel would be the charge rifle because it's not ballistics based and all the ballistic weapons in the game are too small calibre, which in essence means that if you have a group of raiders with power armour coming at you and you don't have charge rifles your bollocked. However this could be subbed alongside a system to calculate damage done by kinetic force. For example a 50. calibre rifle hitting the chest piece of power armour and not actually penetrating it but the kinetic force of the projectile is carried through and cracks the ribs of the raider underneath.

Very wishful thinking though, alongside a more competent melee system akin to DFs where pawns can grapple and throw each other about, would be useful against enemies that have smaller numbers but better equipment.

PotatoeTater

Quote from: Shurp on March 11, 2017, 07:29:39 PM
A unit of cloth weighs 0.03kg.

A tuque takes 25 cloth to make, and weighs 0.07 kg.  Where'd the rest go???

Even worse, a parka takes 120 cloth to make, and weighs 3.8 kg.  So much for conservation of mass!

You have to account for waste material, when I was in high school and had to make something in home economics, I used about 10 yards of fabric to make a single gun back that really only used 4 yards total. The rest was lost in production.
Life is Strange

PotatoeTater

Quote from: EnricoDandolo on March 11, 2017, 02:31:05 PM
So recently I've been playing Rimworld. I've noticed some rather strange things. So I'll share some of mine, and you'll share some of yours.
First, lets just talk about this.

A single log of wood 0.40 KG does 8 blunt damage, at a 2.20 second cool down. 0.40 KG is about 0.88 pounds which is basically a stick. Not even a big stick either, its like a stick the size of a bigger-than-usual slingshot.
Now, the thing here is that a wooden club does something like 4 damage. The club is made of 35 wood. 35x0.88=24+2.4+4+0.4=30.8 pounds. That club weighs 30.8 pounds, and does 4 damage. A person's fist does more damage then a 30 pound club, a SPIKED CLUB.
Hang on, hang on. I just checked. A person's fist does 6 damage. That means that if im correct, someone's punch has 1.5x the force of a 30.8 pound club swinging down on someone.
What the fuck?

Also, clearly we see that the CLUB is SPIKED. A steel club with steel spikes should inflict stab-wounds not blunt wounds, a MACE would inflict blunt wounds, not a spiked club. Yet, the Club, despite being spiked, does not stab someone's eye out, instead smashing their head in.

Anyone else want to add to this?

You can't go by weight alone, if you have ever done anything with wood working, you know you have waste material. I made a baseball bat in high school and it wasn't even close to the weight of the wood I started with after I had gotten done.
Life is Strange

b0rsuk

I'm better at finding inconsistencies than all of you.

Power Armour and Charge Rifle are both made of plasteel. But they're both 100% flammable.

Devilstrand:
Quote from: Plant description
This fragile mushroom was genetically engineered to produce a silk net of the highest grade. Long rumored to have mystical properties, it owes its name to the greed it inspires in people.

Quote from: Research screen
project tech level: neolithic

Batteries and conduits go ZZzzzt! all the time. Torch lamps, campfires, fueled stoves, fueled smithy, crematorium ? Never! Fire hazard ? WHAT fire hazard ?

Bozobub

There's no contradiction in Devilstrand; just because you learn to grow the stuff, doesn't mean YOU engineered it =) .
Thanks, belgord!

b0rsuk

Wood burns, but wooden floors don't. You can even make firebreaks out of cotton carpets.

EnricoDandolo

OH PLEASE.
Kevlar Helmet - Requires components to make
Military Helmet - Requires components to make
Armour vest - Requires Components to make
STEEL (Resource) 0% Flammability in game 
Steel (Structure) (Wall) - 20% Flammability
The walls are pure steel, why? From a balance perspective it makes sense that all of these require additional things, and it makes sense that steel is flammable. However, it just makes it more tedious, I mean whats the point of making my own Armour vest if I can just go strap down some raiders to get ten of them.
One last Nitpick.
A colonist can't carry more than 75 steel.
HOWEVER, WHEN I MAKE THEM HAUL A 1000 POUND THRUMBO, THEY DO IT.

giannikampa

my guys can't haul more than one shiv at a time! lol
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: giannikampa on March 20, 2017, 10:04:41 AM
my guys can't haul more than one shiv at a time! lol
Well my guys can haul whole elephants!
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

XeoNovaDan

When a colonist hauling a thrumbo with ease seems bad... foxes can do the same with higher speed

Aerial

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 20, 2017, 11:41:10 AM
Well my guys can haul whole elephants!

We really need a butcher spot, like a crafting spot, that you can plop down over a dead elephant/thrumbo/elk/etc.  Then haulers can haul the butchered meat in reasonable stacks.

The whole hauling system needs to be tweaked to allow pawns to take more than 1 "thing" into their inventory to carry.  A simple weight system would accommodate most of the inconsistencies with hauling.