Someone's organs harvested

Started by Yoshida Keiji, January 04, 2018, 07:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

Removing an organ from a prisoner penalizes the player with 7.5 in-game days (45 real life days). Why?

The prisoner is a pirate who came to kill us. I don't see why that should give my Colony a mood debuff?

Then I happened to assign one of my Medics to do the operation, who also happens to be a Bloodlust. When I saw the -5 thought in her "Needs" tab I went to double check in the wiki to realize I had mistaken the job that fits better to a Psychopath. Now my understanding is that the first is much more violent that the last one. In the sense that Psychopaths are mostly emotional or psychological offenders than physical.

Either way... 7.5 in-game days...for harvesting an enemy who came to bring us death... is strange to me. And I did it out of necessity because I have two Colonists with destroyed lungs I wish to replace rather than lucrative interests.

Can I have a reduced or none penalty (completely removed) once that organ is transplanted to a Colony member?

Personally if I were the receiver with acknowledgment it comes from a pirate who came to kill us, I wouldn't feel morally bad about it.

Shurp

Rimworld seems to take the position that "pirates are people too".  These aren't goblins you're hacking up.  These are potential recruits to your colony.  "Hey, we could have saved him and brought him into our community; instead we butchered him for spare parts.  What kind of people are we?"

Think of pirates not as interstellar Vikings but rather as slaves who were handed a gun and told "if you don't go attack that settlement, not only will we torture and kill you, but we'll kill your family too."

This makes me wonder what happens to the family members of pirates when the pirate clan finds out they've been converted to your colony...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Listy

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on January 04, 2018, 07:00:27 AM
Removing an organ from a prisoner penalizes the player with 7.5 in-game days (45 real life days). Why?

Wait until you get the 'Prisoner died' debuff for shooting a prisoner in the face as he conducts a jailbreak, and runs screaming at one of your colonists with a massive knife.

Ser Kitteh

Because humans in the year 5000 are still humans and likely have a more developed sense of human rights than we do.

I understand not feeling any love for my enemy but torturing my enemy is morally wrong. Doesn't matter if your pawns are colonists from a ship or tribals, people are people.

No the system is perfect, but it does establish colonists aren't psychos (unless they're all actual psychos of course).

muffins

If they were recently captured after a raid or harmed a colonist they get a "considered guilty" tag for a little while where you can chop, butcher and execute to your hearts desire without getting the "innocent prisoner harmed" debuf.

Canute

Did you ever watch some movie or read some books about this ?
This is called civilisation in some kind of way.
Otherwhile you are just like them, barbarian,pirates,murder if you act like them.
You can kill downed pirates without penalty.
But once you capture them, YOU are in charge for them, if they get harmed or killed ofcourse your people need to fear that YOU will organ harvest them at next.

grrizo

Quote from: Shurp on January 04, 2018, 07:27:23 AM
Think of pirates not as interstellar Vikings but rather as slaves who were handed a gun and told "if you don't go attack that settlement, not only will we torture and kill you, but we'll kill your family too."
That's an excellent explanation. And it's what happens in real life with the so called "bad guys". Most of the time, the real evil doesn't show his face personally, but convince or force others to do the dirty job for them; "I'm just doing my job, y'know", "They made me do it".
Even in time of war, killing prisoners is considered a war crime.

If you don't want a debuff for killing chained minions, use PrepareCarefully to make a colony full of psychopaths. But who's going to be the "bad guys" if so? ;)
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: muffins on January 04, 2018, 07:53:33 AM
If they were recently captured after a raid or harmed a colonist they get a "considered guilty" tag for a little while where you can chop, butcher and execute to your hearts desire without getting the "innocent prisoner harmed" debuf.

Oh my gosh, that's what that stands for! I always wondered what it meant, and always forgot to look it up. That's so great, thank you so much.

asanbr

Lungs aren't that expensive, you might be better of buying them from pirate traders.

Foefaller

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 04, 2018, 04:05:15 PM
Quote from: muffins on January 04, 2018, 07:53:33 AM

Oh my gosh, that's what that stands for! I always wondered what it meant, and always forgot to look it up. That's so great, thank you so much.

Note that killing a "guilty" prisoner will still give a mood debuff, but in most cases will be a measly -2 instead of what it normally is.

Hans Lemurson

Harvesting the organs from a "Guilty" prisoner still seems to get the full penalty.

Failed operations don't cause any problem though, and boost medical experience even on failure.  I tried removing the heart of a captive like an Aztec sacrifice, but the operation failed and the prisoner was badly hurt (lost a rib, crushed heart...) but no bad feelings for the colonists.  Failing yet again to remove a kidney earned a Doctor in Training 5,000 XP, but elicited no bad feelings from colonists.

When I finally succeeded in harvesting his left lung, everybody was outraged at this butchery!

When I executed him 2 hours before the "Guilt" wore off, everybody got a mild -2 penalty for a justified execution.

You can maim, mangle, and murder guilty prisoners to your heart's content, but extracting an organ intact?  Despicable!
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Britnoth

Quote from: Shurp on January 04, 2018, 07:27:23 AM
This makes me wonder what happens to the family members of pirates when the pirate clan finds out they've been converted to your colony...

They send them in the next pirate raid, so that your new colonist has -40 mood for a fair part of the year.  ::)

Shurp

LOL, *that* explains it!

Fortunately I have a smokeleaf stockpile... oh god, please don't tell me he's a teetotaler!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.