[1.0](WIP) What The Hack?! - Mechanoid hacking

Started by Roolo, May 31, 2018, 04:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Umbreon117

I have an idea: Replaceable batteries.

You can take the batteries out of a remote. And recharge them if they are rechargeable batteries. Why not make it so that the mech batteries can be replaced?

There can be two types of batteries. One that doesn't recharge but is cheaper (mid game), and one that does but costs more (maybe late-mid to late game)
I'll shoot your colonists...After a long nap.

Roolo

Quote from: Umbreon117 on July 10, 2018, 04:34:02 PM
I have an idea: Replaceable batteries.

You can take the batteries out of a remote. And recharge them if they are rechargeable batteries. Why not make it so that the mech batteries can be replaced?

There can be two types of batteries. One that doesn't recharge but is cheaper (mid game), and one that does but costs more (maybe late-mid to late game)

Could you clarify a bit how these batteries would differ from the consumable batteries discussed the last few posts? Do you mean that instead of being consumable, they should be installable as body parts?

Umbreon117

Quote from: Roolo on July 11, 2018, 07:38:23 AM
Could you clarify a bit how these batteries would differ from the consumable batteries discussed the last few posts? Do you mean that instead of being consumable, they should be installable as body parts?
I wasn't trying to figure out a way they could be installed, but that could be one way of doing it. No idea how hard that would be though. In the end they would just have to be replaceable, as that is the point of the idea.

As for the batteries: Consumable batteries sound that they are a "Eat this and bam full charge". I was thinking that the rechargeable batteries would go into a recharge station, and would take X amount of time to recharge. The larger the battery, the larger the charge time. Non-rechargeable batteries would either be broken down for parts or just destroyed. This would mean that you could always have a mech up and running around doing mech things if you really wanted it to, and could afford the cost.

Canute

Since all hacked mechanoids need to recharge from time to time, they got internal batteries. And they are rechargeable.
I don't think the internal batteries arn't easy accessable for a fast exchange.
And i don't assume that you don't want add mechanoid body modfications, like to lightweight Centipedes so they can act as packmount for caravan's or added Solarpanel/Vario power cell to be a mobile recharger.

So my suggestion to add these mobile recharger.
Low tech, solar ones, just deliver power for one mech (or one centi or 2 scyther). Pretty heavy so a packmount is needed.
Med. tech, chemfuel generator, same weight but can charge 4-5 mechs at once.
High tech, Vario power cell, lightweight can charge 2-3 mech's at once.

Roolo

Quote from: Umbreon117 on July 11, 2018, 09:15:41 AM
Quote from: Roolo on July 11, 2018, 07:38:23 AM
I wasn't trying to figure out a way they could be installed, but that could be one way of doing it. No idea how hard that would be though. In the end they would just have to be replaceable, as that is the point of the idea.

As for the batteries: Consumable batteries sound that they are a "Eat this and bam full charge". I was thinking that the rechargeable batteries would go into a recharge station, and would take X amount of time to recharge. The larger the battery, the larger the charge time. Non-rechargeable batteries would either be broken down for parts or just destroyed. This would mean that you could always have a mech up and running around doing mech things if you really wanted it to, and could afford the cost.

Ok, I understand what you mean now. It wasn't clear to me the batteries were intended to be used with the to be added portable charging platform. I do like the idea, but it might be a bit too time consuming to implement it properly, especially with rechargeable batteries. Canute just proposed a chemfuel version. This would be similar to your idea, but simpler to execute, while still immersive enough in my opinion.

Quote from: Canute on July 11, 2018, 09:18:18 AM
Since all hacked mechanoids need to recharge from time to time, they got internal batteries. And they are rechargeable.
I don't think the internal batteries arn't easy accessable for a fast exchange.
And i don't assume that you don't want add mechanoid body modfications, like to lightweight Centipedes so they can act as packmount for caravan's or added Solarpanel/Vario power cell to be a mobile recharger.
So my suggestion to add these mobile recharger.
Low tech, solar ones, just deliver power for one mech (or one centi or 2 scyther). Pretty heavy so a packmount is needed.
Med. tech, chemfuel generator, same weight but can charge 4-5 mechs at once.
High tech, Vario power cell, lightweight can charge 2-3 mech's at once.

I like the idea of using existing power sources. The chemfuel and vario power cell based approaches are nice additions. I probably won't create 3 versions, as it's a lot of work and one (or maybe two) versions would be enough to satisfy most player needs. I'm starting to feel more for a fuel based version (like chemfuel) as opposed to the solar one, since the solar one has the following issue: 
Mechs probably charge at night when the caravan is resting, however, there's no sun at night (obviously). So to make it work, the platform would need a battery which is charged during day, and depleted at night. Of course this'll work, but introduces some side issues, and is much more time consuming to implement and balance then just a thing that consumes chemfuel from time to time.

A vario power cell version would be a nice high tier option, and seems simple to implement, so if I have the time, I might add it as a second option.

Helpful ideas guys :) I'm glad I posted my request for suggestions. I think I have enough to work with for the time being. 

Umbreon117

(not quoting because deleting all that on this kindle would be annoying)

Roolo:
Fair enough. I actually like Canute's a fair bit better.

Also, the Android mod has a "Solarpanel Duster" (I think it was a Duster) that auto recharges the Android or droid that wears it. Would it be a good idea or a bad one to do something similar in the sense that you could give them something that recharges them, but isn't a battery?

Basically a backpack-like generator that powers their battery as long as it is fueled or gets energy from the sun.

Roolo

Quote from: Umbreon117 on July 11, 2018, 11:43:04 AM
(not quoting because deleting all that on this kindle would be annoying)

Roolo:
Fair enough. I actually like Canute's a fair bit better.

Also, the Android mod has a "Solarpanel Duster" (I think it was a Duster) that auto recharges the Android or droid that wears it. Would it be a good idea or a bad one to do something similar in the sense that you could give them something that recharges them, but isn't a battery?

Basically a backpack-like generator that powers their battery as long as it is fueled or gets energy from the sun.

I like the idea, but I also see some problems. What I really like is that it's a really convenient way to charge your mechanoids on the go, while also being immersive. The problems I see is that it should be balanced really well to not trivialise/replace the mechanoid platforms that currently exist. I like the idea that mechs cannot be used all the time, but players have to think: Will I use my mechanoids for this threat, or will I spare them (their energy, and their undamaged state) for a bigger threat. It will be challenging to keep this principle with such a backpack.

Another problem is that since they are mechanoids, they don't have the apparel system humanoids have. Of course, with some coding effort I can add that for mechanoids too, but it does make things mor time consuming. An then there's the issue with centipedes, or many other mechanoids added by other mods (which I'd like to support to the full extent), the backpack that looks good on the scyther/lancer, will look odd at least on a centipede (and most modded mechanoids).

So while the idea is by itself a good one and definitely works for the android mod, I don't think I want to go through the trouble of solving the issues I just mentioned.   

Roolo

Teaser for next Giddy-up mod called Giddy-up! Battle Mechs (which depends on What The Hack):

Version with sound and better quality:
https://youtu.be/kkqXQTo1PFQ

Madman666

Damn, this is crazy good :D Though, i am kinda hesistant from using run and gun, since it kinda gives raiders more advantages than you (immediate shots instead of seek cover -> shoot mostly). Also i hope having centipedes with you on a caravan won't make it crawl... Since even a guy with a peg leg can make travel speed next to non-existent.

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on July 11, 2018, 03:33:32 PM
Damn, this is crazy good :D Though, i am kinda hesistant from using run and gun, since it kinda gives raiders more advantages than you (immediate shots instead of seek cover -> shoot mostly). Also i hope having centipedes with you on a caravan won't make it crawl... Since even a guy with a peg leg can make travel speed next to non-existent.

Thanks :). Well, no need to use Run and Gun if you don't want to. I think it depends on your playstyle if Run and Gun makes the game easier or harder. For me, it makes the game slightly easier (and much more interesting) because I don't play very large colonies, and Run and Gun makes various positional tactics viable for me (kiting, surrounding enemy positions, keeping distance from melee pawn, retreating while firing and more). I can imagine with very large colonies these tactics aren't as viable as they are for smaller ones.

Madman666

The problem is i kinda want to :) as i really love the variety it brings in tactics wise. But, as you've noticed, i like to play big colonies, like real big and with raids getting obscene in quantity it becomes a real mess, if all those raiders also start shooting on the run. In small scale combat like caravans however it actually is real interesting to play with. So now I am torn if i fear it more than i want it, or the opposite, heh.

InventorRaccoon

A suggestion: AI implanted mechanoids should not randomly wander while drafted, so that you can keep them in one position.

Roolo

Quote from: InventorRaccoon on July 13, 2018, 01:58:57 PM
A suggestion: AI implanted mechanoids should not randomly wander while drafted, so that you can keep them in one position.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll make sure this is fixed.

Roolo

I just pushed a relatively big update:

Caravanning with mechanoids!
- Added a portable charging platform for mechanoids. This charging platform is chemfuel based and not as efficient as the normal mechanoid platforms, and cannot be used for repairing. However, you can install uninstall it at any time, and moreover, it can be used to supply mechanoids with power during caravanning.
- Caravanning is now possible with mechanoids, and the caravan dialog provides useful information regarding how many days of fuel the caravan has, and how this is calculated.
- Slow mechanoids (centipedes) do slow down the caravan, but they provide extra carrying capacity, which lowers the impact of their slow movement speed. (I'll probably increase their carrying capacity further in the future when I do another round of polishing).

Some QOL additions:
- You can now forbid mechanoid platforms, and mechanoids won't use forbidden platforms.
- Target fuel level of platforms can now be set, this prevents the problem that if you build a bunch of platforms, your pawns will bring will store all mechanoid parts inside it.
- Whether a platform's repair funcion is enabled can now be toggled.

Fixes/tweaks:
- Increased building costs a bit
- Fixed body part regeneration not working as intended
- Probably forgot to mention some things

Upcoming:

- Some way to repair mechanoids while caravanning.
- Fix for mechanoids randomly walking when drafted.
- edit: add actual inventory to mechanoids so pawns bring goods to the mechanoids when forming the caravan. Right now the pawns are just able to carry more when there are mechanoids in the caravan, which works, but isn't as immersive as it could be. 

So caravanning is now possible. It may still need some polishing, and I didn't have a lot of time to test things very thoroughly yet, (so feel free to help with that :) ). We still need a way to repair mechanoids on the go. I think i'll add consumables for that. Something like a mechanite capsule, containing fully charged mechanites and parts (that normally are present in the normal platforms). Also adding a repair function to the just added portable platform has the problem that it already has chemfuel as fuel, and the game doesn't really allow me to use two types of fuel without heavy modification. Moreover, I kinda like the fact the normal platforms have an edge over the portable ones due to the fact they also repair.

Canute

QuoteWe still need a way to repair mechanoids on the go.
Sorry i can't help testing, since 1.0 isn't released yet.

But what do you think to craft Mech repair kit.
Then add a surgery to mech's that need these repair kit, and restore the torso+leg body part(s). Other missing part keep missing.
So the mech is able to move at his own and can reach the station at the base later.

Ofcouse you could redesign some Centiped's into a full mobile recharge&repair station. Together with a vario power cell it won't need a recharge itself anymore and be able to recharge other mech's too.
Ofcouse it still need part's for the repairs and the centipede don't got any weapons.