[A16] Combat Realism [closed]

Started by skyarkhangel, November 11, 2016, 03:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkbrk

Quote from: AseaHeru on December 29, 2016, 06:05:40 PM
On modding, I have been working on making some things compatable with CR, but have hit a snag when it comes to adding in new ammo sets. Namley, I get errors about "'Ammo types' expected line X, position Y", followed by piles of errors about not being able to find said ammo set to give to various weapons. This is accompanied by errors stating that 'No Verse.ThingDef named(ammunition name)'.  Any suggestions for how to go about getting it to function correctly?

It sounds like you're missing some defs. Take a look at an example in CR, here are the definitions for the assault rifle and its ammunition:

ThingDefs_Misc/Weapons_Guns.xml: Gun_AssaultRifle
AmmoSetDefs/AmmoSets_Rifles.xml: AmmoSet_556x45mmNATO
ThingDefs_Ammo/Ammo_Rifles.xml: Ammo_556x45mmNATO_(FMJ|AP|HP)
RecipeDefs_Ammo/Recipes_AmmoRifles.xml: MakeAmmo_556x45mmNATO_(FMJ|AP|HP)

Depending on the weapon you're adding you may be able to use an existing AmmoSet. Also, make sure your mod goes after CombatRealism.

AseaHeru

Weapon, check. Ammunition, check. Projectile, check. Ammo set, check. Problem is, it throws up that error about the ammo type needed in a certain place then cries and doesent do anything.

I do need to get the recipe thing with it though...

dkbrk

Quote from: AseaHeru on December 29, 2016, 07:11:27 PM
Weapon, check. Ammunition, check. Projectile, check. Ammo set, check. Problem is, it throws up that error about the ammo type needed in a certain place then cries and doesent do anything.

I do need to get the recipe thing with it though...

Well, there's nothing specific to any of the ammunition types in the CombatRealism code, so it should only require XML changes. You must be missing something.

AseaHeru

Perhaps its getting aggravated that Im not editing existing ones, but putting them in a new file...

messiah

I've just tried this mod for the first time. I think it's awesome, but manually managing loadouts is very tedious, especially taking into account different ammo types and the fact you can't get someone take something other not in current loadout. Any tips?

joaonunes

Quote from: messiah on December 30, 2016, 05:47:37 PM
I've just tried this mod for the first time. I think it's awesome, but manually managing loadouts is very tedious, especially taking into account different ammo types and the fact you can't get someone take something other not in current loadout. Any tips?

Use the loadouts only for the ammo types.
Example:
You found a weapon that uses 5mm ammo, create a loadout that "refills" that ammo type and (hopefuly) the weapon wont go away, only the ammo will be refilled.
A few days later you find a 9mm smg, and so you create a loadout with nothing but 9mm ammo. If for any reason you want to go back to the 5mm weapon or you found a different weapon that also uses 5mm ammo just change the loadout back to 5mm.

I dont think this works but it would be a cool feature and if it does it makes the loadout way easier to manage, just change the ammo type according to the one the weapon uses.

The way I manage weapon loadouts is the moment I find a new weapon I create a loadout for it. The loadout contains the weapon and 3x the ammo the weapon can carry in a single mag, so an M4 with 30 bullets will have an extra 120 bullets in the backpack. If I ever find that weapon again (and I certainly will if I play only vanilla weapons) I only need to select the loadout I previously created.
Another thing I do is to create loadouts when I have "spare" time for weapons I have not found yet, so when I do I'll be ready. It takes about 15 secs for me to create a new loadout so it does not take much time...

Another thing I do to make it easier to manage ammo is to use weapons that use specific ammo types to reduce both space and metal to craft the ammo. What I mean is with only a few exceptions I always use FMJ ammo and sell every other type of ammo. In adition I try to use as little ammo types as possible (5mm, 7mm nato and .303 for example), ignoring weapons that use different ammo types unless it is a really good weapon (so russian 7mm will be sold most times in my colonies)

The key is keep it simple, use only a few ammo types and calibers and sell what you need.
Put the loading tables to craft ammo until you have 200 ammo for each ammo type you use and you wont have to worry about it ever again.
Do you want your colonists to look manlier?
Get a free mustache sample here!

Devon_v

I make loadouts specific to a few weapons. I make one with a pistol, .45 ammo, and meals, another for the rifle and .303 British, and one for the 12-gauge and buckshot. I try to keep my colonists using standard weapons so that the ammo is interchangeable. Basically get everyone a shotgun unless they can actually shoot, then get them a rifle and the .45 submachinegun.

Once they're set, you shouldn't need to touch loadouts unless you acquire a new weapon that you actually want to use.

dkbrk

One thing I've been thinking of doing is adding a button in the loadout management screen to add one loadout to another. This would also allow a means of copying a loadout by creating a new -- empty -- loadout, and adding another loadout to it. If I do that, I'm thinking I might as well add a difference operation as well, so you could subtract one loadout from another. Besides bugs that need to be worked on, I'm hesitant to do this because I know I have a tendency when designing a UI to make something powerful but potentially confusing to other people. Feedback on how this might be received would be appreciated.

Also, managing loadouts also used to be much more tedious because the dialog had abysmally poor rendering performance unless you filtered the items selection down to a relatively small number. Fortunately that's now been fixed.

Nialkier

Why enemies do not shoot in my pawns behind the embrasures?
They just pass by, trying to destroy some base objects and die. They not even try to break the embrasures.

Marduk

There is an annoying bug where the last round in a gun fails to fire and disappears if the pawn has no more to reload the gun with after firing it.

When that happens, i get this error:

Exception ticking Iris: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Combat_Realism.Verb_LaunchProjectileCR.TryCastShot () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Combat_Realism.Verb_ShootCR.TryCastShot () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Verb.TryCastNextBurstShot () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Verb.WarmupComplete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Combat_Realism.Verb_LaunchProjectileCR.WarmupComplete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Combat_Realism.Verb_ShootCR.WarmupComplete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Stance_Warmup.Expire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Stance_Busy.StanceTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Stance_Warmup.StanceTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn_StanceTracker.StanceTrackerTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.TickList.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:Update()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

On an unrelated note, bored playing CR with only vanilla weapons, i've made a hackjob of an update for Rimfire CR for my own use that works with the current CR. It still shows up a bunch of errors, and i'm not experienced enough with Rimworld modding to have an idea what half of them are about, but it works ok so far on a 3 season colony. If anyone is interested, PM me.

porcupine

Quote from: Marduk on December 31, 2016, 11:12:17 AM
There is an annoying bug where the last round in a gun fails to fire and disappears if the pawn has no more to reload the gun with after firing it.

When that happens, i get this error:

Exception ticking Iris: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Combat_Realism.Verb_LaunchProjectileCR.TryCastShot () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Combat_Realism.Verb_ShootCR.TryCastShot () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Verb.TryCastNextBurstShot () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Verb.WarmupComplete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Combat_Realism.Verb_LaunchProjectileCR.WarmupComplete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Combat_Realism.Verb_ShootCR.WarmupComplete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Stance_Warmup.Expire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Stance_Busy.StanceTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Stance_Warmup.StanceTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn_StanceTracker.StanceTrackerTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.TickList.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:Update()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

On an unrelated note, bored playing CR with only vanilla weapons, i've made a hackjob of an update for Rimfire CR for my own use that works with the current CR. It still shows up a bunch of errors, and i'm not experienced enough with Rimworld modding to have an idea what half of them are about, but it works ok so far on a 3 season colony. If anyone is interested, PM me.

I can't recall what it was called, but in A12/A13, I played a mod that added considerable complexity to the game, by making adding a lot more raw materials/refinements/etc. to producing stuff.  Solar panels weren't just some metal and away you go, I spent the first month or two without solar (having to refine the metal, then glass, etc.).

It made the game a LOT more interesting... anybody remember what that mod was called?  It was fairly extensive, and well fleshed out.

Nanao-kun

Quote from: Nialkier on December 31, 2016, 06:32:26 AM
Why enemies do not shoot in my pawns behind the embrasures?
They just pass by, trying to destroy some base objects and die. They not even try to break the embrasures.

Because Embrasures don't work very well with enemy AI, which is why they're typically OP.

fall

man i would love this mod if it didn't have the whole ammo sistem ,there are 100 types of bullets making it a micro managing nightmare always having to make sure the idiots have ammo for their guns, and making them carry too much makes them slower...