What do you do with extra prisoners?

Started by ITypedThis, February 26, 2015, 01:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you do with extra prisoners?

Kill them.
3 (5.7%)
Keep them indefinitely.
12 (22.6%)
Harvest them. (Including to the point of death.)
14 (26.4%)
Butcher them. (Either for food or leather.)
1 (1.9%)
Torture them. (Possibly to death.)
1 (1.9%)
Let them "escape."
7 (13.2%)
Utilize them for colonist skills.
8 (15.1%)
Other. (Specify?)
7 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 53

ITypedThis

Quote from: Vonholtz on February 26, 2015, 10:34:15 PM
If they have no good skills I sell them but seeing how slavers never show up when I have any prisoners. When I get sick of taking care of them and waiting I let them go and after this is done a few times the faction will no long hate us. Right up in till they visit the next time as friends and some one else attacks and they get in the middle of the cross fire and then they will hate us again.

The tricky ones are the ones who have no good skills and no faction I just sit on them and hope a slaver ship comes more then one time a game.
It would definitely be nice if slave trades kept coming anyway, just without slaves for sale.

Listy

Well After I have the one prisoner to train Social, if I don't want them due to injuries or Traits I don't pick them up, and send out my melee squad to batter them to death and keep up their melee skills.
That's only in the late game I normally just let them snuff it on their own accord if its early game and I'm busy and don't have the time.

lusername

Quote from: ITypedThis on February 26, 2015, 11:14:52 PM
Mechs are kind of a hit and miss. A handful of scythers isn't necessarily game over, but a handful of centipedes... Something's gonna go wrong. :'(
Mechs are usually the easiest enemy. They're extremely deadly up close, but they're also extremely slow and have short range. The game pretty much outright tells you that those giant mecha-sheep are weak against guerilla sharpshooting attacks.

miguellima

I have a question: why are you saying stuff like "if the faction can be made friendly"? Was anything changed in A9.

In A8 i got to a point where i had a solid defence and every tribesman raid i captured like 5-8 people. Same thing with pirates. Most of them i didn't like their stats so i healed them and released them. After a few raids i started getting mech attacks one after the other. When i went to check my relationships i had 100 with both tribes and the pirate faction.

EDIT: To answer OP: if it's near the start of the game and i have someone i can't/won't recruit and have someone with injuries like scars or shot off limbs i harvest those and keep the prisioner healthy until i'm done. then i install peglegs if he needs them and send him on his way :P

DarknessEyes

My option not there...
I kill them for organs. You never know when u will need them
De Surgeries
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18976.0
Adds 26 new surgeries to Rimworld.

lusername

Quote from: miguellima on February 27, 2015, 07:33:55 AMthen i install peglegs if he needs them and send him on his way :P
But he needs at least one just to uphold his pirate cred.

Novellum

Late-game I'll usually just imprison two or three people forever, sort of as a "Welcome to your faux home, hope you enjoy the nutrient paste". It is a prison afterall, might as well have some life sentences going on. I also usually decorate the prison though.

Coenmcj

Currently? I use them as slave labour. If they break once, 10 lashes from the whip. If they break twice, they're fed to their fellow slaves.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

ITypedThis

Quote from: Listy on February 27, 2015, 02:50:05 AM
Well After I have the one prisoner to train Social, if I don't want them due to injuries or Traits I don't pick them up, and send out my melee squad to batter them to death and keep up their melee skills.
That's only in the late game I normally just let them snuff it on their own accord if its early game and I'm busy and don't have the time.
One thing that most people see to have in common is a lack of empathy for the raiders. I guess I can't really say I do either though. :P

ITypedThis

Quote from: lusername on February 27, 2015, 05:52:57 AM
Quote from: ITypedThis on February 26, 2015, 11:14:52 PM
Mechs are kind of a hit and miss. A handful of scythers isn't necessarily game over, but a handful of centipedes... Something's gonna go wrong. :'(
Mechs are usually the easiest enemy. They're extremely deadly up close, but they're also extremely slow and have short range. The game pretty much outright tells you that those giant mecha-sheep are weak against guerilla sharpshooting attacks.
I think the inferno cannons got a range buff fairly recently. It's been a little while since I've thought to check it, but I believe that it was around 32 or something? Not good for the sharpshooters...

ITypedThis

Quote from: miguellima on February 27, 2015, 07:33:55 AM
I have a question: why are you saying stuff like "if the faction can be made friendly"? Was anything changed in A9.

In A8 i got to a point where i had a solid defence and every tribesman raid i captured like 5-8 people. Same thing with pirates. Most of them i didn't like their stats so i healed them and released them. After a few raids i started getting mech attacks one after the other. When i went to check my relationships i had 100 with both tribes and the pirate faction.

EDIT: To answer OP: if it's near the start of the game and i have someone i can't/won't recruit and have someone with injuries like scars or shot off limbs i harvest those and keep the prisioner healthy until i'm done. then i install peglegs if he needs them and send him on his way :P
I'm not entirely sure of who your comment is directed at, so forgive me for commenting anyway. I believe "if the faction can be made friendly" is referring to the factions like the space refugees (the people who crash land) and the spacers, (the people sometimes found in cryosleep pods.) They don't really have an effective "faction," so they are sort of independent from one another and can not be released to improve their faction's disposition towards you.

The extra medicine for the peg legs must add up after a while?

ITypedThis

Quote from: DarknessEyes on February 27, 2015, 10:06:52 AM
My option not there...
I kill them for organs. You never know when u will need them
But that's what the "harvest them" option means!

ITypedThis

Quote from: Novellum on February 27, 2015, 11:36:39 AM
Late-game I'll usually just imprison two or three people forever, sort of as a "Welcome to your faux home, hope you enjoy the nutrient paste". It is a prison after all, might as well have some life sentences going on. I also usually decorate the prison though.
Might be a little better than death for them, I suppose. :P

ITypedThis

Quote from: Coenmcj on February 27, 2015, 04:06:47 PM
Currently? I use them as slave labour. If they break once, 10 lashes from the whip. If they break twice, they're fed to their fellow slaves.
Do you have a slave labour mod? Or are you just roleplaying for the sake of immersion?

Coenmcj

Quote from: ITypedThis on February 27, 2015, 04:54:21 PM
Quote from: Coenmcj on February 27, 2015, 04:06:47 PM
Do you have a slave labour mod? Or are you just roleplaying for the sake of immersion?
Slave labour mod, things havn't been this uh... 'fun' for prisoners since the fear system. c:
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite