Food poisoning

Started by Baloun, February 21, 2015, 08:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baloun

I know it might have been answered somewhere... But do you know what could cause food poisoning? Because my whole colony is vomiting half the time :D I have enough cooked simple meals, I even tried to store them out of the fridge so it is not eaten frozen... I dont know what else to do.

Cryonist

Its related to the cooking skill level of the one making the meals. Higher cooking level lowers the chance of accidentally poisoning meals.

Baloun

Ah! Thank you. I guessed it might be the cause but I tought that lvl 6 should be quite enough - evidently not then!

Listy

Quote from: Cryonist on February 21, 2015, 08:36:13 AM
Its related to the cooking skill level of the one making the meals. Higher cooking level lowers the chance of accidentally poisoning meals.

Yet my level 8 cook still manages to poison people.

TheScriptan

Alpha 9 version is so tough to play now! Anyways how do cooks manages to poison meals?

skullywag

They dont cook them enough, should really affect meat based meals more than veggie ones but meh.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

ijw473

Right?  Honestly, how does one get food poisoning from cooked potatoes / corn?  I know my cook sucks, but dude... Boil it.

Fruit loops

The higher the cook's skill the LESS chance of it getting poisoned so level 0 means every meal will be, level 10 there is less of a chance like 1/10 poisoned  :)

The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

Vexare

I think the percentage needs toned down just a tiny bit. It's over-exaggerated right now.

REMworlder

I actually like that cooking has more of an importance. Used to be I'd grab a colonist and he'd become cook just because he wasn't good at other things. Now putting up with a midworld chef who can't haul and has to wear a tinfoil hat all the time is a lot more appealing because I can avoid poisoned food.

It also gives raw foods like corn and paste meals more utility since you don't have to worry about food poisoning there.

With really bad cooks, the food poisoning can get some hilarious chains going, since the colonist has to eat again after vomiting. If that colonist grabs another bad meal, the sickness just continues.

Panzer

I think I ll leave this here...  ;D Dying of laughter right now, because my whole colony throws up everywhere  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aczPDGC3f8U

Tynan

Remember you can use nutrient paste to avoid food poisoning entirely.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Vexare

Quote from: Tynan on February 21, 2015, 02:11:19 PM

Sure and that's a viable option in the beginning. But what if your starting colonists don't have particularly high cooking? It takes 6 to make fine meals, but as others are saying, even that produces a high rate of food poisoning. I don't think that's really very balanced if a colonist can cook a 'fine' meal ...shouldn't their chances of poisoning it be much lower? Seems contradictory to me.

Also, if you provide a nutrient paste machine and also have a cook (to keep raising cooking skills) no one ever eats from the nutrient paste dispenser, they will eat the meals, which invariably make them sick. This is just not really well balanced because unless you force players to cherry-pick only high leveled chefs from the start, almost all choices in colonists are going to have a lower skill and end up mass poisoning everyone all the time until they get at least a 10 skill? I just think this is going to encourage too much skill scumming to avoid a pretty detrimental issue that's part of a base function you can't really avoid.

skullywag

Quote from: Tynan on February 21, 2015, 02:11:19 PM

Thaaaaaats why you added it. Gotta admit dont think ive built an NPD since A6...maybe...
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Cat123

Perhaps there could be an item (microwave / pasteurizer) that could 'cure' tainted meals? Grinding out meals to raise cooking while micro-managing throwing them away doesn't sound so great.