[A16] Unable to override animal reservations

Started by GiantSpaceHamster, December 30, 2016, 01:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiantSpaceHamster

This is probably not a bug per se and more of an oversight, but it should probably be addressed at some point.

Colonists are unable to override an item reservation made by an animal belonging to the colony.

Example situation: My animals were starving because I ran out of meat. I decided to slaughter a couple of my elephants to reduce the food demand and provide some meat for the other animals. As soon as the elephant was slaughtered, one of my other animals went over to eat it. Okay, that's perfectly reasonable. The problem is that it counted the elephant corpse as "reserved" by the pig and it would not let me assign a colonist to move it. I could not find a way to force the animal off the corpse since nothing will affect its behavior until it finishes its current activity, even changing allowed space. The only solution I found was to kill the pig, but I actually had to kill 3-4 animals just to be able to pause fast enough to assign a colonist to move the corpse before another animal reserved it to eat.

I think there's a compelling case to allow colonists to override animal reservations on items.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: GiantSpaceHamster on December 30, 2016, 01:18:55 PM
This is probably not a bug per se and more of an oversight, but it should probably be addressed at some point.

Colonists are unable to override an item reservation made by an animal belonging to the colony.

Example situation: My animals were starving because I ran out of meat. I decided to slaughter a couple of my elephants to reduce the food demand and provide some meat for the other animals. As soon as the elephant was slaughtered, one of my other animals went over to eat it. Okay, that's perfectly reasonable. The problem is that it counted the elephant corpse as "reserved" by the pig and it would not let me assign a colonist to move it. I could not find a way to force the animal off the corpse since nothing will affect its behavior until it finishes its current activity, even changing allowed space. The only solution I found was to kill the pig, but I actually had to kill 3-4 animals just to be able to pause fast enough to assign a colonist to move the corpse before another animal reserved it to eat.

I think there's a compelling case to allow colonists to override animal reservations on items.

There is a way to micro around that. Forbid the item, then after the animal re-directs, pause the game, un-forbid item and then issue orders to a colonist to go grab said item. Then un-pause.

14m1337

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on December 30, 2016, 02:58:53 PM
There is a way to micro around that. Forbid the item, then after the animal re-directs, pause the game, un-forbid item and then issue orders to a colonist to go grab said item. Then un-pause.

this doesn't work at the moment. had this with a hungry bear wanting to eat a pirate corpse some minutes ago.
additionally to this workaround, I tried to forbid all doors leading to the corpse (the bear went through them), setting the bear to a zone that excluded the corpse (the bear was not interested about it and simply left the zone) ...

now that I think of it, this issue may be caused by a mod: "WM Smarter food selection". Are you too using this mod, GiantSpaceHamster ?
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

GiantSpaceHamster

Quote from: 14m1337 on December 30, 2016, 07:50:43 PM
now that I think of it, this issue may be caused by a mod: "WM Smarter food selection". Are you too using this mod, GiantSpaceHamster ?

No, I am not using that mod.

I think part of the issue may simply be that you cannot cancel an animal's activity directly and changing other factors, such as restricting a corpse from being interacted with, are not re-evaluated until after the animal's current activity has completed. So if an animal is headed over to a corpse to eat it, you can restrict the door to get there and the corpse itself but that will not actually stop the animal.

Tynan

You're right. I've taken a note to address this. Thanks very much.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog