[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torann

Uploaded a patch for v1.0.1959 to moddb and everything I tested checks out.  There were a few changes needed for Weapon accuracy that might have affected some classes.

Make sure you're using the latest versions of Jecstools and Hugslib.

MagicalFungi

idk what im doing wrong, never had issues like this before with this mod... or any mod really...
I've updated everything again, though they were already the most recent versions, and i'm still having the same issue.
this is the error that pops up when i select a pawn with an ability :
System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Verse.ProjectileProperties.GetDamageAmount'.

Canute

MagicalFungi,
since hugslib,jecstool you use the workshop version i bet, you should unsubscribe so anything get deleted from your mashine and resubscribe. Just to be sure you have the right versions and not some remain's from old version in the mod folder.

Delete tmagic from the mod folder, and unzip it again. I think you still got the latest version as archive. Same reason like above, to be sure no remain's from old version are active.

If you still got the problem after that, maybe a full error log (CTRL-F12) would be nice.

Gungnier

If you are having a problem with getting it work you probably using wrong Hugslib or Jecstool. The Hugslib is on this forum and easy to find (dont use steam version). The only working jecstool i found is on the developer's Patreon and even on the patreon find the post which shows the 1.0 compatible mods of the author and get it from there.

MagicalFungi

I appreciate the tips, but i'm not new to rimworld modding. This is like my 5th time replacing the files and checking for new versions. I got the newest versions from github for both hugslib and jecstools.... both claim to be the newest update. If you guys have it working, i'd love to have the links to the versions you are using. This has been very frustrating, i've never had this much issue with rimworld mods before... thanks for the help guys. :)

Roolo

Quote from: MagicalFungi on July 10, 2018, 11:04:37 AM
I appreciate the tips, but i'm not new to rimworld modding. This is like my 5th time replacing the files and checking for new versions. I got the newest versions from github for both hugslib and jecstools.... both claim to be the newest update. If you guys have it working, i'd love to have the links to the versions you are using. This has been very frustrating, i've never had this much issue with rimworld mods before... thanks for the help guys. :)

What likely happened is that the signature (the name and the parameters) of a method that is called my this mod is changed in the Rimworld assembly. Since the mod now calls a method that doesn't exist anymore this throws errors. This can happen with the unstable version (I had he exact same thing happening in one of my own mods). So you just have to wait until Torann fixes it and you'll be fine.

MagicalFungi

well, i'm still not entirely sure what was wrong.... i'm still getting some missing ref errors having to do with shooting accuracy, but I got it working. I replaced all the mods again, but used the Jecstools from his patreon instead of the github one (which i think may have been the issue, even though the github one says its the 1.0 release -_-), deleted the %appdata%, reinstalled rimworld..... and now they have their ability buttons back. Thanks again for the help.

Gungnier

I just updated to "1.0.1960 rev 1361" rimworld version and it still works for me (i get errors in menu but ingame its fine)

I played it like 20 hour already so i list out the bugs i found (maybe i found something the devs didnt)

-The gear tab on corpses doesn't work (works on living pawns)
-When you turn off elemental raids the game still anounces it and pauses time with the red warning but the raid doesnt happen
-Currently Legendary sniper trait doesnt show it just writes: "error getting tip text"
- Sniper disabling shot has like 0 hit chance for me i tried it over 50 times 0 hit for now
- The mood tab of my paladin flickering like it has too much moodlets to show and can't

Theese are not bug but stuff i noticed and ideas:
-Crafting stuff costs a lot of magicyte and even tho i'm doing a mountain base i still found like a total of 1000 which can craft like 3-4 spell's and some items and i'm pretty endgame so it would be nice to have it buyable, currently the research amount doesn't worth the amount of the scribing table crafting  (the gems and items are fine)
-Maybe an animal which is hard to get/breed or need to eat a lot but makes magicyte, or maybe a unique drill which can drill up or "crystalize from air" but as a negative it can spawn elementals (like the new drill in vanilla can spawn bugs)
-It would be nice to have description or some info in the learning helper about the new wands and items like the staff of defenders i have no idea what it does and i can't really afford to just blindly craft it
-The bonus effects of the wands are awsome like the stun of the lightning wand but it would be nice again to have it in the description.
-This is just a personal opinion but on the base settings classes and precursor commonality are really rare (in most games i was lucky to capture or buy one or two mage/fighter besides my randomized starter ones and i only count games with 10+ pawns) especially if you have more mods which adds traits. I think the default could be bumped up to precursor:frequent  mage/fighter:common

#edit# I found a new bug when i select pawns for new colony bard and its variants doesnt show up (i pushed the randomize button for like 20 min)

Canute

Quote-Crafting stuff costs a lot of magicyte and even tho i'm doing a mountain base i still found like a total of 1000 which can craft like 3-4 spell's and some items and i'm pretty endgame so it would be nice to have it buyable, currently the research amount doesn't worth the amount of the scribing table crafting  (the gems and items are fine)
I can't speak for 1.0, but before it was buyable from the Arcana trader

Quote-Maybe an animal which is hard to get/breed or need to eat a lot but makes magicyte, or maybe a unique drill which can drill up or "crystalize from air" but as a negative it can spawn elementals (like the new drill in vanilla can spawn bugs)
Where is the logic behind, that an animal can made magicyte.
If you want a good source of magicyte, use the scenario editor and add a repeating Rift event.
The rift self leave some magicyte and butchering elements give magicyte too.

Quote-It would be nice to have description or some info in the learning helper about the new wands and items like the staff of defenders i have no idea what it does and i can't really afford to just blindly craft it
Yeah, i know. Happen to my for nearly most mod's i play the first time.
I just use the dev-tools and spawn these weapons or appareal, look at the starts, and destroy them with dev tools afterwards.

Torann

Quote from: Gungnier on July 10, 2018, 11:51:59 AM
I played it like 20 hour already so i list out the bugs i found (maybe i found something the devs didnt)
Appreciate the feedback and the bug reports, Gungnier.  I'll take a look at magicyte economy, I think the general consensus is that it's a little difficult to acquire. Definitely will look at weapon/item descriptions and look at clarifying the text so it's clear what you're getting.

henk

Maybe also consider reducing the number of tiers and types of craftable items. The item list in the magicyte workbench is rather long and confusing, and I get the feeling many of them aren't worth making at all. It feels a bit silly to spend hundreds of magicytes, not to mention valuable jade, to make an item that gives such a small bonus. And since so many of the apparel items give penalties to psychic sensitivity, I've only ever made magicytes to test things.

Crafting scrolls and books is great though. I would even go as far as to say 500 magicytes to grant a trait is a low cost, compared to everything else in the mod.

Gungnier

I found some other bugs as i play:

-I converted a woodsman into undead with a necromancer and somehow it kept its abilities (not the trait) and i could use them once (after that always said on cooldown), after saving and loading the abilities vanished.
- Necromancer made undead vanished when the necromancer still had about 30% mana (mana drain event)
-Seems like bard and its variants died out not only in the pawn creator but in the game too
- Consume corpse is strange its uses more mana even with "Greedy consumption 3/3" on smaller/medium animals than generates
- Not sure if bug but some of the undead i created became like 10+ in mining or crafting but some of them became pretty bad with everything like 4 (idk how it supposed to calculate stats) seemingly doesnt care about the coprses original stats (maybe age cuz better undead tends to be older)
-When an undeads body part gets blown off it doesnt bandage itself like every other injury and i can't add prosthetic (from the error message i suppose i shouldnt add prosthetics??)

Something i observed:
-Succubus shadow bolt is really weak even fully upgraded cuz its base damage is mediocre and doesnt cause any negative effect or bleeding compared to other damage abilities so far from all the mages it feels pretty lackluster to the point i level everything else before even taking the spell because it doesnt worth the cast time and mana if it doesnt hit at least like 3 target.

This is a really long summary about the classes/teamcomps so read only for entertainment:

After playing over 200 hour with the mod (mostly in B18) the best team comp i tested multiple times looks like this (numbers represent a megabase):

Necromancer at start (dont care about skills just the class worth it) or as soon as you can, with the constant at least 2 undead for hauling/cleaning/mining/stonecutting and melee in fights + AOE spell which make captures easy+Healing with corpses makes them the best all around early characters, even in the worst situation you can sacrifice undead to escape alive but 1 is enough cuz their abilities dont stack well and you dont want undead for jobs after you have like 7-8 pawns, but making a sudden 4-5 undead is still a good tactic in the endgame if your frontline gets broken.

Grab about 3-4 Lightning mage/Ice mage/Fire mage their AOE is the key to succes in the lategame lightning is the best for stuns/mechs and the fire is the worst cuz their base mood problems and burning loot.

Grab a single priest for utility (and you can't capture in the lategame without resurrecting) and get about 2-3 druids for healing/sicknesses and regrowing body parts (which became less important in 1.0 baseline prosthetics). If you can teach them the EMP spell its pretty usefull.

About paladins get about 4-5 if you want a melee squad for fun but with succubus/warlock AOE pull and summoned elementals they are pretty much doorfillings.....  just get druids and priests for healing.

Get one warlock/succubus For that sweet aoe pull maybe two for the lategame they are extremely important but they dont stack well like the necromancer.

About snipers i simply train all of the physical characters which i taken for skills/passions into them they get a nice passive boost for shooting and they are good for capturing early/mid game (which is bugged in 1.0 currently) they have the best gun handling from all the physical classes.

Ranger/blademaster/berserker Just forget them, ranger only good early game maybe midgame with the pet meanwhile the other two get completely destroyed in bigger fights if you need melees to stop the new scythers etc.. just get some paladins to doorblock with the absorb and selfhealing they do a much better job.

Get about 2-3 arcane mage for rescuing "late to come home" pawns and teleporting powerfull enemies into killbox before the worst arrives. I especially target the faceless cuz they tend to burrow into your best fricking mage and screw up everything.

About faceless i only take them if they got some extremely important passions/skills cuz they worth like a half mage.

The best all around and "always take" is the summoner so if you see one grab one and i tend to make summoners with bookcrafting too for multiple reasons: Every ability they have can stack really well, Elementals tank damage like a champ and turrets are better than fully trained snipers with good weapons (and one summoner can summon multiple of them meanwhile shooting). Mines are absolutely perfect for psychic/poison ships, and minions pretty much solve all of your hauling so you dont even need hauler animals and lastly they have no penalty in the trait itself.

About caravans the single best choice is summoner(s) with lightning/frost wand they can use elementals as meatshields and turrets as extra gunners i have never seen a caravan situation which 3 summoner couldnt beat, just dont forget to check is they can self tend and bring maybe some mana potions.If you don't have summoner early game a sniper is decent too, the Disabling shot can put up a heavy slow which allows you to kite well.

Summoners kinda have a critical mass about 5-6 which makes them into a portable killbox with the 10+ turrets and elementals they turn the game into a joke cuz it doesnt matter if the enemy drops into your base or tunnels trough your walls or spawn in bugs your summoners can always take care of it. Just think about it the game counts 5 summoners as 5 normal pawns but in reality you get: 5 gunners/wanders as the summoners themselfes 5 greater elementals 10 lesser elementals and about 2 turrets each for a total of 10 turrets (i dont even bother with the mines and ultimate) so in the end you get the firepower of about : 15 melee paws and 15 ranged pawns which the game counts only as 5 pawns in "wealth"

Please dont nerf summoners tho, i really love them :)

Lastly about the bard i can't really say anything yet cuz i didnt manage to play with it in B18 and in 1.0 you can't get them as i observed (maybe i have horrible luck).

henk

Quote from: Gungnier on July 11, 2018, 08:27:57 PM
-When an undeads body part gets blown off it doesnt bandage itself like every other injury and i can't add prosthetic (from the error message i suppose i shouldnt add prosthetics??)
Undeads are expendable. Get a replacement at any raid-mart!
-Succubus shadow bolt is really weak even fully upgraded
I noticed that too. Maybe it's supposed to be weak because the rest of the succubus kit is strong? But it's really not, so succubus is kind of a weaker elemental mage...
Necromancer at start
How do you deal with everyone being unhappy about seeing undeads early in the game?
Grab about 3-4 Lightning mage/Ice mage/Fire
Elemental mages need a serious nerf. Even at first tier, most of their spells are game-changers.
Ranger/blademaster/berserker Just forget them
Yeah, melee is lackluster right now... It's great that the melee classes can win any 1 vs 1, but the game rarely provides single enemies. Some mild utility doesn't compensate for being locked from using ranged weapons.
Get about 2-3 arcane mage for rescuing "late to come home" pawns and teleporting powerfull enemies into killbox before the worst arrives. I especially target the faceless cuz they tend to burrow into your best fricking mage and screw up everything.
Arcane mages can win fights better than any elementalists, especially early on. I'd take an arcane mage as my first mage any time.
Please dont nerf summoners tho, i really love them :)
I love summoners, but they need a nerf. At the very least, make their skills have extremely long cast times, post-cast delay and cooldowns.
Lastly about the bard i can't really say anything yet cuz i didnt manage to play with it in B18 and in 1.0 you can't get them as i observed (maybe i have horrible luck).
Bards are pretty passive, most of their skills are idle, always giving small bonuses. They're nice to have, but not essential.

Gungnier

Quote from: henk on July 11, 2018, 10:54:15 PM
How do you deal with everyone being unhappy about seeing undeads early in the game?
Thats why i said you dont want undeads after having 7-8 pawns, early mood issues by them is still kinda offset with low expectations buff i usually simply consume the undead when the buff falls off. But in the past i managed to make them work even in lategame by having fine meals and a lot of "art" but to be honest it doesnt worth it in mid/lategame you should have enough workforce with your normal pawns/summoned minions/animals. Necromancer is kinda strange they are close to broken level powerfull early game but kinda fall off lategame you dont want to use Their AOE cuz you can't send in your elementals and melees cuz the effect stays too long, you dont want undead cuz the mood issues, Corpse explosion is kinda hard to use anyway so in the endgame only their death mark remains usefull which does not even work on mechanoids. But still the earlygame is really easy with them the first raid gives an undead at 100% rate and the 2nd one usually ends up with a capture and a 2nd undead. And having two expendable self tending close to immortal melee pawns in early game can beat any encounter and in some cases i had colonies where i had no single injury on normal pawns in like the first 10 raids.
Arcane mages can win fights better than any elementalists, especially early on. I'd take an arcane mage as my first mage any time.
True i like to start with arcane mage too, my only problem with hem they dont help capturing that much thats why i like necromancer soo much cuz their AOE tend to down pawns instead straight up kill so i can pick and choose for my capture. I loved snipers for starter pawns too for the same reason,after checking the bard out it should be nice too with the sleep spell.
Bards are pretty passive, most of their skills are idle, always giving small bonuses. They're nice to have, but not essential.
I read their abilities on the forum they should be pretty fine in bigger colonies when mood issues show up. Still i want to test it when they will be obtainable how big the buffs are. I'm especially interested in their ultimate ability, cuz so far most of the "buff" type spells doesnt really worth it compared to the spells on the same classes.

MagicalFungi

So what i like to do with necromancers and their undead minions is seperate them from the general population. After i had a large colony in A18 i restricted them to outside the base (and my colonists restricted to inside) with one small room for haulers to overlap inside the base and for the zombies to do basic crafting. The hoard of undead guarded our walls from all dangers, providing if nothing else a distraction to get my colonists an advantage. More importantly though, they did all our exterior hauling, mining, hunting, etc. and only rarely would disturb a colonist. Honestly i thought the necromancer was overpowered... i had like 30 undead at one time and nothing could get into my base unless they dropped in from space. Maybe there should be an undead limit per pawn, like the summoner's minions.